What's new
I definitely want two, one for CPS2 and another for CPS3 (if you can ever get it to works with CPS3)

Thank you for creating these boards. It seems as though even for the die hard crt players lag is out of the equation. Now the question is about personal preference, which of these looks aesthetically more pleasing to the player? For tournaments, LCDs are readily available, no more back pain carrying these CRTs. The next step would be to build an FPGA A-Board that would have all the necessary connections.

Thank you for creating these boards.
I didn't design the HDMI boards. It was Markus/marqs, who also designed the Open Source Scan Converter. I simply teamed up with him to share information and do testing. I suppose you could thank me for asking him to work on it :D

It seems as though even for the die hard crt players lag is out of the equation.
The big caveat is that a low latency LCD must be used. And by "low" I mean a few milliseconds. Testing must be done to validate that, not just reading numbers off a manucturer's tech specs. This has always been the case for scan converters, but I just want to throw out the reminder that this won't magically make a laggy LCD any faster than it already is. Also many LCDs have modes which cause more or less latency, so that must be checked, as well.

The next step would be to build an FPGA A-Board that would have all the necessary connections.
Don't hold your breath. That's a bigger undertaking than any project we've seen on this forum.
-ud

No real reason to build an A board out of an FPGA unless you really want to punish yourself. The only real reason to use an FPGA is for prototyping or low volume stuff that doesn't make sense to manufacture. Even that market is shifting very quickly these days. Amazing what guys on here have had made, just got my Darksoft CPS3 reproduction cartridge in the mail and it's an impressive combination of efficiency. Custom made PCB components and some hand surface mount soldering (or appeared that way at a quick glance?). Very skilled people here.

I'm mad I missed the demo at EVO, I was busy too. Really wanted to try it out. I'm definitely want to pick one up when they are available. The more we have out there the better. Gotta keep the CPS2s alive, heh.

Didn't get to play on the HDMI setup for ST but the aesthetics looked great and the guys playing didn't seem to have any issues during their casual sets. I'm excited to finally have one of these, hopefully soon.

Also, as always great to see you @undamned. Hope you can make it back to Vegas again in the future, for Evo or otherwise.

If including my VGA kit is still of interest, that'd get me off my ass to make a cost-cutting redesign of my board, which would also open up more Neo-Geo kits (people have shown interest but I've been too anxious and busy to get around to doing it).

For what it's worth, my CPS2 VGA board offers these outputs:

* VGA 480p RGB
* Component 480p YPbPr
* SCART / classic 240p RGB
* Component 240p YPbPr

so it'd satisfy people wanting to use SCART, or a VGA port to connect to a PVM, etc.

@undamned if you're still interested in including that or making it an option, hit me up - I'd be happy to do something with it instead of letting the work that went into the project rot away.

Soldering a lot of fly wires sucks and isn't great for a finished thing, which made installing my kit a shitty procedure. The way Marq's board mounts is excellent, so if I put together another one I'd want it to work in a similar way.

If including my VGA kit is still of interest, that'd get me off my ass to make a cost-cutting redesign of my board, which would also open up more Neo-Geo kits (people have shown interest but I've been too anxious and busy to get around to doing it).

* VGA 480p RGB
* Component 480p YPbPr
* Component 240p YPbPr

so it'd satisfy people wanting to use SCART, or a VGA port to connect to a PVM, etc.

@undamned if you're still interested in including that or making it an option, hit me up - I'd be happy to do something with it instead of letting the work that went into the project rot away.
Interested :)

* VGA 480p RGB
* Component 480p YPbPr
* Component 240p YPbPr

Soldering a lot of fly wires sucks and isn't great for a finished thing, which made installing my kit a shitty procedure. The way Marq's board mounts is excellent, so if I put together another one I'd want it to work in a similar way.
The idea of a consolized CPS2 system I could take anywhere & connect to anything (HDMI, composite, component, RGB) is the dream of Tournament Organizers of these old games like myself. I imagine a lot of us in the Fighting Game Community would die for these (the original UD-CPS2s are heavily lusted upon for those of us who didn't manage to get em).

Crossing my fingers ;)

Definitely intrigued with the prospect of an HDMI capable cps2 but a VGA option would be perfect for my situation. Locally we use VGA CRTs as a display for consolized arcades and superguns in our retro arcade tournaments. In the end if I need to I'll convert HDMI to VGA as that's what I'm doing now anyway via OSSC but I'd love to not need to do this going forward.

Call me sentimental (but look at my Avatar!) I really like the scanline duplication in the OSSC. Forgive my ignorance, but doesn't the same guy make the OSSC and the digital video output for the CPS2? Maybe the OSSC features (line multiplication, scanline simulation) could be implemented in the CPS2 hardware too? :)

Correct, Marqs makes both products. I wouldn't be suprised if similar options are included with the CPS2 kit.

I'm in for 1 kit ! Please add me on your list sir @undamned ! Thank you in advance for all !

* VGA 480p RGB
* Component 480p YPbPr
* Component 240p YPbPr

THIS is also very interesting if will be possible to be added!

Last edited:
I was going to ask if this was an actual list akin to the CPS1 interest check, but there it is.
I'm not ready to officially take pre-orders, but your post will serve as some sort of place holder in line.
With that, I would be interested in 1x kit when available :thumbup:

Back