What's new

nio

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Does the STV have any contentet ir games that the Saturn does not have?

I would say it comes down to what you desire to play. The STV has some really solid games, but there are a bunch of games that have stand alone pcbs/or console exclusive such as the high dollar shmups or platformers. Those are the rarest/most expensive titles. I have sunk quite a bit of money into my import saturn collection over the years, but it has grown into possibly my favorite. Good luck!

Reactions: nio
I have both the ST-V multi and a Saturn with a Rhea ODE (Optical Drive Emulator) installed.
Personally I enjoy the ST-V more... Yes the Saturn has some pretty neat exclusives like Panzer Dragoon, Guardian Heroes and Nights.

The ST-V still has the superior versions *cough*JapanBIOSRaidentSilverGun*cough* of the games, ST-V sits inside the Vewlix vs playing with a pad on the TV.

Side note about both ST-V and Saturn... Not recommended for use with a xRGB mini aka Framemeister.
These systems switch resolutions between 480i and 240p quickly, this will knock out the mini for a few seconds, when that transition is mid game play the game is unplayable.

I have both and the Saturn has a ton of worthwhile games. The ST-V does have some exclusives but they are mostly the games that require strange controller inputs like Critter Crusher.

So, the ST-V is fantastic for its shmups, sports, and fighting games on an arcade cabinet (arguably these versions are better than the Saturn ones) while a Saturn has great number of exclusives that are better fit for console game play (RPGs, Action games, etc).

Not realy a choice, you have to bought the 2... :D

Looking for a Saturn w/Reah/Phoebe myself.
I have STV, but would like a few of the other games that made it out, and having everything there, on one SD card would be cool.

I know, but without an actual Saturn, I'm not buying one, only to find out, i need the other. :(

6rZ8g8R.jpg

Each has it's own ad/disadvantages!

When people come over it's nice to play those fighters on the cab without loading screens!

Its great to have Die Hard in the cabinet and Die Hard in the Saturn to see how they stack up.

It's all just preference-- it's what makes the world go round!

The ST-V still has the superior versions *cough*JapanBIOSRaidentSilverGun*cough* of the games, ST-V sits inside the Vewlix vs playing with a pad on the TV.
could you be more explicit? For me it's seems same except cute scene on saturn.

Saturn version of Silvergun is better. Just because of the buttons are mapped for each weapon. No need to remember funky combos.

No need to remember funky combos.
When I play on my cab or with stick on HDTV on saturn I play with 3 button, it's harder but strangely more efficient quick in game. The curse of hand is shorter.

I'm with @djsheep the combos never felt all that natural to my hand.
The Saturn version is what I like best, don't forget that cool anime style opening/cut scene (arcade hasn't got that heh).

Really you'd almost never see me recommend the home version over the arcade.
Naomi > Dreamcast (most notable Capcom vs SNK 2/Marvel vs Capcom 2)
System16 > Genesis (most notable Golden Axe/Altered Beast)

But when it comes to STV vs Saturn?
STV < Saturn (most notable Radiant Silvergun/Cotton Boomerang)

Last edited by a moderator:
@jassin000 you confirmed my opinion about Saturn and ST-V. Off course megadrive is under than S16, maybe port degrade for dont crash arcade version sells (see this Shinobi prototype MD port ).
But Naomi is more complex, IMO Capcom vs SNK 2 or Marvel vs Capcom 2 and game's majority it's same, but for like f355 or crazy taxi it's better on NAOMI (so f355 is very closed ).

But Naomi is more complex, IMO Capcom vs SNK 2 or Marvel vs Capcom 2 and game's majority it's same
Its pretty damn close, but Naomi has a few more frames of animation for some characters.
Also the only version of CvS2 to appear on Dreamcast is the Japan version "Millionaire Fighting 2001" which is a fucking stupid name if you ask me...
I'll take the last USA version (GDL-0008 ) to be released (with the better name) "Mark of the Millennium 2001" (this version was never ported to DC). ;)

29-title-Capcom-vs-SNK-2-Millionaire-Fighting-2001.jpg

320px-Cvs2_splash.png

Its pretty damn close, but Naomi has a few more frames of animation for some characters.
Also the only version of CvS2 to appear on Dreamcast is the Japan version "Millionaire Fighting 2001" which is a fucking stupid name if you ask me...
I'll take the last USA version (GDL-0008 ) to be released (with the better name) "Mark of the Millennium 2001" (this version was never ported to DC). ;)

29-title-Capcom-vs-SNK-2-Millionaire-Fighting-2001.jpg

320px-Cvs2_splash.png

Actually, they’re identical when it comes to frames of animation. This isn’t a 32 bit port issue of an arcade game. The real differences is that the Naomi versions have more ram so they have faster load times and for Marvel 2/CvS2 with the 3D backgrounds, the Naomi versions have higher resolution textures for said backgrounds. For things like character animation or gameplay, the Naomi and Dreamcast are identical.

Back