What's new
If you can save "save states" does that mean that high scores are also saved?
If it truly is a saved state then yes it would capture the high score table as well.
Makes a compelling argument for always saving a state before exiting a game (so you preserve its high score entry table).

If you can save "save states" does that mean that high scores are also saved?
If it truly is a saved state then yes it would capture the high score table as well.Makes a compelling argument for always saving a state before exiting a game (so you preserve its high score entry table).
If this is the case, then I wonder why there's no option to save all save states all the time automatically? Seems that a big "complaint" I hear about the 161-in-1 type carts is "no high score save"...

EDIT: Or maybe there is, we just don't know about it yet?

Clearly Darksoft's multi is the better cart here, so who cares about the NeoSD and its buyers.
giphy.gif

Ive been ebaying for Neogeo looking for thr perfect system for about 2 months now. Let a couple of go that I should of gotten. I was about to order a neosd, but then I seen this project. Me and my boy are super stroked needless to say!!!

Ive been ebaying for Neogeo looking for thr perfect system for about 2 months now. Let a couple of go that I should of gotten. I was about to order a neosd, but then I seen this project. Me and my boy are super stroked needless to say!!!
You will be very happy you did not go for the NeoSD, nothing wrong with it, it works. Darksoft's Multi MVS just blows the NeoSD out of the water.
The amount of features along with what's possible do with it is astonishing. Most people just can not quantify the amount of man hours/tech/$$ that Darksoft has put into creating the ultimate multi game solution for the MVS/AES.

The amount of features along with what's possible do with it is astonishing. Most people just can not quantify the amount of man hours/tech/$$ that Darksoft has put into creating the ultimate multi game solution for the MVS/AES.
Form what I have seen, I do not seem to find more differences between the two carts other than the write speed and the multi-slot capacity of DS cart. Are those the only differences?

Darksoft Neo Geo Multi MVS/AES Hardware Advantages vs NeoSD
8-10X faster write speeds
Save management
Multi-slot functionality
- One-slots gain native 3-slot support*
- DS Multi can be stacked, turning 2-slots into 6-slots, 3-slots into 9-slots, etc.*
Expanded rom size support for dev and future homebrew
Menu customization
Much more powerful FPGA
Could potentially support 68000-based arcade games, Neo Geo CD roms, etc
Longer expected lifetime due to better memory
Better fit and finish due to the high quality shell (vs the cheap plastic Chinese NeoSD shell)
*A future update to minimalism the GUI can expand this to 4-slots

NeoSD Hardware Advantages vs Darksoft
None

Since they're going to be the same price, it makes sense to wait for Darksoft's.

Last edited:
Form what I have seen, I do not seem to find more differences between the two carts other than the write speed and the multi-slot capacity of DS cart. Are those the only differences?
All you have to do is buy one when Darksoft releases it and find out for yourself exactly :P :)

At the end of the day people will buy what they buy be it because of price/features/support/looks/etc....so its great to have choices. I am in no way putting down the NeoSD, like I said, it seems to be a product that works for its intended purpose, at it seems to far exceed previous multis. But, when I compare it to Darksoft's multi, I will go with Darksoft's and thats my choice, should be everyone's choice :D . If he wasnt making a multi, I would buy the NeoSD, simply because it would be the better solution at the moment, if someone made a better one, I would buy that. So I am waiting to buy the BEST multi, Darksoft's multi; why buy a Kia when I can get Lexus for about the same price.

I am sure Darksoft will release more info in due time, but I dont really see the need for him to release any further info at this time though.

Last edited:
Darksoft Neo Geo Multi MVS/AES Hardware Advantages vs NeoSD
8-10X faster write speeds
Save management
Multi-slot functionality
- One-slots gain native 3-slot support*, and games can be switched with an MVS cab's button
- DS Multi can be stacked, turning 2-slots into 6-slots, 3-slots into 9-slots, etc.*
Expanded rom size support for dev and future homebrew
Menu customization
Much more powerful FPGA
Could potentially support 68000-based arcade games, Neo Geo CD roms, etc
Longer expected lifetime due to better memory
Better fit and finish due to the high quality shell (vs the cheap plastic Chinese NeoSD shell)
*A future update to minimalism the GUI can expand this to 4-slots
I agree with the first 3, specially number 1, is very nice IMHO. Had forgotten about save management and menu customization, even if it has space for improvement (don't kill me :) ). However, the rest seem to be more transparent to final user. I have not seen either DS or neosd shell, so cannot comment on the last one. I have some questions here about saving feature:
- How exactly does save management work? is it savestate, say emulator style or is the regular save that almost all games do on the memory card?
- Does it save scores per game (over the 8-game MVS limit)?
- Does it save softdips per game?
- What's the advantage of having a ds cart, vs. having a memory card and latest unibios?
- What's with the slot management? do I have to load the saves I want to use before playing the games?
It seems obvious I do not understand the feature, can somone please elaborate?

NeoSD Hardware Advantages vs Darksoft
None
Some may say "Instant boot to previously flashed game" here.

Last edited:
No need to worry about critiquing or questioning the DS Multi here, especially since forum critiques have positively shaped the development quite heavily :D I'll try to answer some questions based on what I've read or saw in Mitsu's reveal video:
aha2940 said:
I have not seen either DS or neosd shell
Attached are the shell, shock box, and carton box pictures that Darksoft posted. MVS will have sandblasted real MVS shells and AES will have a new shells handmade in Italy from two-piece molds. AES will include a new snap-case/shock box, and MVS comes in a cardboard carton box. Reviews of the NeoSD shell are on Youtube and were a shock to buyers in terms of their quality and fit and finish. Some even had the PCBs inside installed backwards, which could potentially destroy both the cart and PCB if booted! Many people have difficulty accessing the SD card on NeoSD as well.
- Does it save softdips per game?
Yes, it saves soft-dips per game.
- What's the advantage of having a ds cart, vs. having a memory card and latest unibios?
The Unibios will still provide CRC checks and cheats, but I think everything else can be done by the DS multi (region, machine changing, dips, etc).
Some may say "Instant boot to previously flashed game" here.
We still don't know the load times for the DS Neo Multi booting directly to individual games from the menu though, since Mitsu didn't cover that in the release. What we know for now is that you will be able to flash a game and cold boot at least 6-8 times with DS's kit in the time it takes the NeoSD to flash a single game. That is the minimum, since it might only take a few seconds to cold boot 1 game on the DS kit. If it actually only takes 5 seconds to cold boot a 30 second-flash game, then you could flash a game and cold-boot about 36 times on the DS kit in the time it takes NeoSD to flash just one game.

Attachments

• 20170320_194242_lowres.jpg
    20170320_194242_lowres.jpg
    227.2 KB · Views: 307
  • 20170320_194250_lowres.jpg
    20170320_194250_lowres.jpg
    275.3 KB · Views: 339
  • 20170320_194303_lowres.jpg
    20170320_194303_lowres.jpg
    250.2 KB · Views: 312
  • 20170320_194347_lowres.jpg
    20170320_194347_lowres.jpg
    275.3 KB · Views: 301
  • IMG-20170320-WA0004.jpg
    IMG-20170320-WA0004.jpg
    103.5 KB · Views: 319
  • IMG-20170320-WA0005.jpg
    IMG-20170320-WA0005.jpg
    88.4 KB · Views: 310
  • IMG-20170320-WA0006.jpg
    IMG-20170320-WA0006.jpg
    70.7 KB · Views: 313
  • IMG-20170320-WA0007.jpg
    IMG-20170320-WA0007.jpg
    143.6 KB · Views: 314
Last edited:
Thanks a lot for your detailed reply, SmokeMonster. I think I understand better the DS cart now. I gotta say, I totally like the sandblasted finish of the shell. It looks like...my Metal Slug 4 cart! that's good for me, I like MS4. However, what I meant is that I have not seen first hand any of the shells, only pics. I think judging the quality of something like a cart shell has to be done with it in front of you, not just with pics. Remember that not because something is made in China is low-quality, and similarlly, not because something is made in Europe is perfect, that would be stereotypes.

Now that I understand it better, I also think the saving feature is really useful. I got confused by the menu for managing the saves, I thought you had to load the game into memory and then load the save for it to work. That would kind of ruin the experience of saves, however I am still a bit confused: why do you need to manage saves to/from the SD card? aren't they already on the SD card when the cart writes them? or does it write to the backup RAM and you have to manually load/save the backup ram contents from/to the SD card? I do not understand this.

Yeah, I love the idea of a sandblasted black cart. It's really in the spirit of the MVS. I'll save more praise for when I have it in my hand, but I am very excited about the prospect :D

I'm not sure exactly how the saves work in the Neo Multi technically, so I'll let someone else chime in to help.

Saves are just game-saves, exactly like having a memory card inserted, but you don't need the memory card hardware. This is another incredible upgrade for the owners of PCBs which lack the expensive/rare memory card hardware and memory cards. Half of my PCBs don't even support external save hardware, so this is an extremely nice upgrade. I don't think emulator-like save states are a feature yet.
Let me make a statement as to the CURRENT state of all of the save functions. After reading the above replies I went back and read what language was used in the past about saves and it is clear the wrong wording was used at the time. Unfortunately English not being Darksoft's best language has caused this confusion. Please read below.

Currently, as the cart is now, it only saves dumps and restores dumps of the NVRAM from the system memory. This data includes high scores and settings among some other things. However, this likely won't be the only form of saving in the game.

We are also currently investigating memory card saves. We are not officially announcing this as a feature but it has a good chance to happen. Don't expect it at launch though.

We are also looking at what people call "save states". Same as an emulator would use. This would actually provide a lot of the same functionality as a memory card.

Hope this clears some stuff up. Very sorry if people were confused or misled about the current features supported. We will have more information soon about ALL memory functions. Including how the current NVRAM backup works and how to use it.

"- and games can be switched with an MVS cab's button"

Has this been confirmed somewhere?

Has this been confirmed somewhere?
No, not sure if it can be done and not sure where this comes from, maybe was an idea someone put out there. The slots are changed by pressing (1P Start + UP) for 3 seconds.

Just as easy. If you have an actual 4slot board the select button would still switch between those, and your macro switches slots on the multi. Perfect.

I think this was only mentioned in the early wishlists for the cart but there really is no way to make it work with this cart.

The cart's hardware itself would need to be designed to do this. And you would most likely need two buttons, one to switch the MVS hardware slot and one to switch the cart slot. The cart would need a hardware solution to change the slot whereas our cart does it in software.

I'm assuming as discussed earlier that people that registered interest in the pre-order interest thread will get first preference?

Back