What's new
Which display attachment? You mean Taito F3, right? Certainly not MVS.

Which display attachment? You mean Taito F3, right? Certainly not MVS.
And CPS2. While it works fine, an on-screen menu would have been even better. Not that display attachment prevents me from enjoying the kit, of course.

Last edited:
I find on screen menus not so convenient as well.

For me the ultimate killer solution would be to link all multis (stv, f3, neogeo, cps2, etc...)'to a single raspberry pi or similar and control the multi with a Wi-Fi terminal (phone for example) with am integrated graphical menu.

The mega killer option would be that the raspberry would also control a PCB set of relays and diodes and be able to perform Jamma switching as well.

Dreaming......

I dream of a rasp pi that could cause members and mods of other forums to grow up and get over themselves.

Yeah, those LCD screens are very inconvenient, I would have preferred OSDs for all systems as well.
STV is the worst.
When it comes to raw functionality I'm happy with all your multis though. It's just that I would prefer if you guys would go the extra mile to make a good product into a very good product.

Last edited:
Menus or LCDs, I couldn't care less. I hate OSDs when they are intrusive, I love OSDs when they are stealth (when I don't need to go to them for normal use, and when a normal user is not able to enter them from the outside). In case of doubt I would always prefer LCDs because of convenience and direct boot (I even prefer dip switches over an intrusive OSD)

Direct boot of a preselected image is a must, everything else is optional. Can you imagine having to boot 20 machines every day and having to go through the menu of each of them?

Centralized management is IMHO what would raise the product to an excellency level.

As you see, everybody has it's needs and wishes, and you can't make everybody happy.

I agree that the basic menu should be very simple.
Just a text list in 8x8 font using the max screen width and height. For older folks add a 8x16 font.
With fast scrolling maybe page jumps and a quick select functionality by letter ('k'=KoF and not 't' for the KoF), genre.

The menu also only should pop up on request otherwise should never be seen.

Maybe it will happen with the MVS one one day, currently it looks to me it's at least 6 month away from becoming more than good. The latest video was rather disturbing for me, IMHO it did more harm than good.
6 months based on what? Can you please elaborate about why it did more harm than good? I'm sorry but I don't agree.

I should have written 3-6 month. I think it possible to fix all this in a few weeks if the menu etc. is written in C. If it's assembly 2 month. Those times are under the assumption that this is done as a hobby on the weekends.

Besides the sound problem, never ever make a product video until everything is perfect. Just buy a new motherboard for 50 bucks if it's broken etc...
Show it in a clean well lit room. Also show the PCBs running.
Make sure no distracting distorted music is playing in the background so we actually hear what Mitsu has to say without getting headaches. I know you are proud of the music feature, but for a lot of people it's just annoying.

Plan your video perfectly and think about it from a customer perspective and not from a techguy perspective.
Don't show anything that make your product be seen as slow/negative, so don't show loading more than 1 slot. People don't understand it anyway, they think it always loads that slow. If you show slot switching make sure, that not every time the slow green screen appears on a real multi slot, it does not appear when switching games on a multi slot. It seems you do a reset when switching the game maybe there is a way around it?

Turn off the menu animations and everything that induces wait times.

From one of my last posts (slightly edited):

I'm sure a lot of awkward transitions and load times can be cut too. For
instance not loading the music if it's off and not loading the menu gfx if
the menu is set to simple list. Not having the menu ever pop up when it
directly boots in a game.
I would also turn off the MVS hardware test (jumpled greenscreen) with the cheat bios.

Don't make comparison with competitors yourself, let other people do that when both products are on the market.

Ignore both haters and yes man. Hear the constructive critics.

More reactions can be found on ng.com (yes I know, even it those are lies something can be learned from it...) and on facebook groups like
https://www.facebook.com/groups/neogeoforlife/

Last edited:
pulstarx words seem to be a bit provoking, but I can second some of 'em.

To me, the first video was more interesting than the 2nd one - the 1st was something
new. Seeing the device in action on a CRT screen and showing some functions was nice.

IMO, the downside of the latest showcase is "the lack of smoothness" - whether it is the
menu itself (e.g. font alignment (intended to be centered, but it's not) or game selection screen)
or the switching between games/restarting/waiting for games to load.
This has to be as seamless as possible, at least with the cart being released ;)
(and yes, I already substracted the "prototypical" behaviour)

Pulstarx deleted his post but we can still see it. He does make some good, detailed points which is what we asked for. I don't agree with all points but a few have merit. Most likely we won't address them until a FW or menu update after release but they are on our radar.

I asked @pulstarx to restore his comment. Open constructive discussions is always welcome. Just stating that it's not good or bad is not enough but detailed points of view as he did are always interesting.

Can we get an option to run the mvs multi similar to an everdrive?? Like button combo which brings it back to the main menu of the multi cart??

Yes that option is implemented. Pressing 1P+A+D for 3 seconds will bring up the menu during gameplay. This key combination is detected by the cart and no game has been patched, except Metal Slug X, so if you hear something else, they were misleading comments made by competition or NG forum.

We are looking for new ways to speed up the process even more. We are also doing many many testing with many many motherboards in order to maximize the compatibility.

I agree with some of the comments of @pulstarx and we'll try to show more the advangtages for non-tech people in the next video.

We'll keep you updated.

Can we get an option to run the mvs multi similar to an everdrive?? Like button combo which brings it back to the main menu of the multi cart??
So basically...you want NeoSD's current functionality? Because the NeoSD functions basically like an Everdrive and you get back to the menu with a button combination that you can pick from.

To me, the Darksoft Multi's main selling point isn't faster loading times... it's the fact that you can have multi-slot functionality even if you only have a single slot system.

Last edited:
Yes that option is implemented. Pressing 1P+A+D for 3 seconds will bring up the menu during gameplay.
Darksoft, you may want to add some alternate button combinations at some point as I'm sure some people may run this in a cab or in a set-up that doesn't have a D Button wired up. (Strange, I know, but I was such a person. I had to make myself an adapter to wire up a D button through my Capcom kick-harness.)

So basically...you want NeoSD's current functionality? Because the NeoSD functions basically like an Everdrive and you get back to the menu with a button combination that you can pick from.

To me, the Darksoft Multi's main selling point isn't faster loading times... it's the fact that you can have multi-slot functionality.
Yes because darksoft's products are top notch

Yes that option is implemented. Pressing 1P+A+D for 3 seconds will bring up the menu during gameplay.
Darksoft, you may want to add some alternate button combinations at some point as I'm sure some people may run this in a cab or in a set-up that doesn't have a D Button wired up. (Strange, I know, but I was such a person. I had to make myself an adapter to wire up a D button through my Capcom kick-harness.)
Isn't it strange to use neogeo boards with no D wired, when most of its games (and many of the best ones) require it?

Back