What's new
I thought I'd read it as the roms need to flash on every boot
On every COLD boot, a warm boot (aka a soft reboot) if nothing has changed is instant load.If you have changed a game/slot it will need time to reprogram that slot, the more slots you load and the larger the ROM you load the longer this process takes.
Ahh, ye that is what I thought. You cant have it on the shelf for weeks and be able to boot it straight in the game, it needs to copy to memory first (even if takes seconds).

Got another question. The neosd uses flash, in my understanding it can take like 100 000 reflashes. That is ALOT, and probably nothing to care about but does the DS cart have this kind of memory that have a fixed lifespan?

How many carts are out in the wild now?

How many users have left feedback on how the cart is doing?

Come on guys lets us know what you think, is all going well?

Aldo wrote some days ago that 100 carts have been sent.. since some the US guys have already got them, I would assume that most of the 100 carts have been received already.

That is ALOT, and probably nothing to care about but does the DS cart have this kind of memory that have a fixed lifespan?
As I understand it, because the Darksoft multi is using RAM not ROM, it theoretically has unlimited read/write ablity.
Perhaps DS will clarify for us...

I asked about the neosd and its has a lifespan to 100k reflashes due to the flash-tech.

Also I recieved this info, is it like this?

"Also something that people forgot about DS cart is that it also uses flashes (for main program and sound program IIRC), so the same limits apply to that cart, ahthough having 3 slots to choose from increases the total lifespan, as long as the write is balanced, so despite using "infinite writes" RAM, the flashes will still wear."

what do they mean with main program and sound program? The menu is like another game that is uploaded to one RAM slot at boot time (like the other games).

But DS can correct me on that.

I asked about the neosd and its has a lifespan to 100k reflashes due to the flash-tech.

"Also something that people forgot about DS cart is that it also uses flashes (for main program and sound program IIRC), so the same limits apply to that cart, ahthough having 3 slots to choose from increases the total lifespan, as long as the write is balanced, so despite using "infinite writes" RAM, the flashes will still wear."
3 flashes a day equals 1095 flashes a year.
100k ( if it's the total flashers ever ) divided by 1095 ( 1 years worth ) equals 91.3 years.

Got a feeling your motherboard / console will die before this cart.

3 flashes a day equals 1095 flashes a year.100k ( if it's the total flashers ever ) divided by 1095 ( 1 years worth ) equals 91.3 years.

That is probably true. BUT. Will flash x3 every time you fire up your DS-cart with 3 games in the slots?

Guess one tend to switch games more often if it takes 10 seconds rather than 3 minutes aswell. I just wanna know.

3 flashes a day equals 1095 flashes a year.100k ( if it's the total flashers ever ) divided by 1095 ( 1 years worth ) equals 91.3 years.

Got a feeling all of us will die before these carts.

That is probably true. BUT. Will flash x3 every time you fire up your DS-cart with 3 games in the slots?
Guess one tend to switch games more often if it takes 10 seconds rather than 3 minutes aswell. I just wanna know.
So 9 new games a day, 365 days a year, you still have 33 years before you get near the 100k
Thats if 100k in the smallest number of re-flashers.

18 new games a day still get you 16 years. Thats a hella lot a gaming!!

Just like cricket enjoy the game and don't worry about the flashes!

Ye, but IS it like this at all with the DS cart? That is the question I wanna get answered.

If I gonna put a checkbox in a neosd and DS-cart -pro/con-list "limited to 100 000 reflashes", should the DS-cart get this checked? :)

Ye, but IS it like this at all with the DS cart? That is the question I wanna get answered.

If I gonna put a checkbox in a neosd and DS-cart -pro/con-list "limited to 100 000 reflashes", should the DS-cart get this checked? :)
If you play 9 different MVS game every day for 15 years you don't have time to tick a check list, just get gaming.
But on a side note iirc :-
neoSD has 100k flashes
DS Multicart has alot more

neoSD has 100k flashes
Why do you say this? DS cart has flash too. The fact that it is not 100% flash like the neosd does not make it last longer automatically, if the flashes die, the cart dies, even if RAM is still functional.

I don't think flash life is going to be an issue for either this cart or the NeoSD. As far as this ram goes it is the same as PC ram which is constantly written and rewritten. It has many more write cycles than a flash in it's lifetime. But like I said lifetime of the memories shouldn't be a major selling point for either of these. The cart's memories should outlive you and maybe your children if the carts are taken care of.

I did some searching and couldn't see any info about the max number of writes to RAM.

The cart uses both Flashes and RAM. Flashes are only written when we change the game. That's it. Flashes in our cart have also 100k write cycles, but in this case divided into 3 as we can load 3 games, so we will write them less times supposedly. As @aha2940 said, if flashes fail and RAM still work, the cart wouldn't work.

Anyways, just to make sure we get a clear understanding on where we are, we have received a lot of possitive feedback from many of you who are enjoying your MVSMulti carts without a problem. From the over 100+ cartridges sent, looks like some people having MV-1F* mobos are having problems, that as usual we will fix. From the distance is complicated to replicate those errors but we'll get the proper setup and narrow down where the problem comes from and find a solution.

Just FYI, all carts are tested one by one. The firmware and menu are written first, then 3 games are loaded, one on each slot. Then we check that each game loaded properly and works flawless, then we switch to next game, and so on. The issue here is clearly related to those setups. Not sure if it's specific to the MV-1F type or something else with that setup. We'll get it fixed, as usual.

neoSD has 100k flashes
Why do you say this? DS cart has flash too. The fact that it is not 100% flash like the neosd does not make it last longer automatically, if the flashes die, the cart dies, even if RAM is still functional.
I did say "iirc" after reading about the way it flashes i just put alot more ( if it's a third less flash then it's a two thirds more left )
Even if both carts only had 50k thats still 3 games ever day non stop for 45 years, not sure why the flash total of any cart is an issue.

Sorry if this caused any problem, just trying to help.

The cart uses both Flashes and RAM. Flashes are only written when we change the game. That's it. Flashes in our cart have also 100k write cycles, but in this case divided into 3 as we can load 3 games, so we will write them less times supposedly. As @aha2940 said, if flashes fail and RAM still work, the cart wouldn't work.

Anyways, just to make sure we get a clear understanding on where we are, we have received a lot of possitive feedback from many of you who are enjoying your MVSMulti carts without a problem. From the over 100+ cartridges sent, looks like some people having MV-1F* mobos are having problems, that as usual we will fix. From the distance is complicated to replicate those errors but we'll get the proper setup and narrow down where the problem comes from and find a solution.

Just FYI, all carts are tested one by one. The firmware and menu are written first, then 3 games are loaded, one on each slot. Then we check that each game loaded properly and works flawless, then we switch to next game, and so on. The issue here is clearly related to those setups. Not sure if it's specific to the MV-1F type or something else with that setup. We'll get it fixed, as usual.
Thanks for some detailed info!

So, its only written to flash store informaton of which roms to copy to RAM upon boot from scratch. Makes sense.

As mentioned, flash have so many cycles so it doesnt really matter in practice. I just wanted to know some details.

Back