What's new
The RGC PS cables have a LM1881 in them, and I'm pretty sure they add a 470R in series on the sync output.

I'd suggest HAS users may be best ordering PS2 cables as sync on luma if purchasing from RGC. This ensures no passive components in the cable.

If using RGC PS2 cables wired as csync, these contain the LM1881 and an attenuating resistor.

PS2 CSYNC PlayStation 2 RGB SCART cable retrogamingcables-300x300.JPG

Good advice, I believe those are cheaper, too.

It's been a while since I checked the RGC website, but I remember they used to offer cables with "passive" sync, meaning there was no sync cleaner or resistor.

Hey, stupid question, but does the HAS support games that need a -5v?

The reason I ask is b/c I just bought a WWF Wrestlefest and the game works fine, inputs, colors, sound effects, but instead of music, there is horrible screeching noise. The seller claims it worked when he mailed it and I need a -5v on the JAMMA line. I'm checking the schematics of the game now to verify it needs a -5v, but I didn't see much info on the HAS to see if it supports it.

EDIT: Just checked the game, it does NOT need a -5v. I think it's just bad caps, as now the game completely lost sound. Hmm...

Last edited:
Of course HAS supports -5V :)

Need to verify that your power supply is capable of outputting it.
Thats good, I didn't see it in the instructions, and many Super Guns do not. Another reason the HAS is the best!

That being said, I have the HAPP arcade PS I linked in my thread, which only puts 5/12 to the HAS. Do I need a PS that will generate -5v? Not important for this game above, as the sound is another problem, but for future games...

Thats good, I didn't see it in the instructions, and many Super Guns do not. Another reason the HAS is the best!
That being said, I have the HAPP arcade PS I linked in my thread, which only puts 5/12 to the HAS. Do I need a PS that will generate -5v? Not important for this game above, as the sound is another problem, but for future games...
Yes, you do require a power supply that is able to generate -5v for those games, since the HAS has no negatron inside.

Thats good, I didn't see it in the instructions, and many Super Guns do not. Another reason the HAS is the best!That being said, I have the HAPP arcade PS I linked in my thread, which only puts 5/12 to the HAS. Do I need a PS that will generate -5v? Not important for this game above, as the sound is another problem, but for future games...
Yes, you do require a power supply that is able to generate -5v for those games, since the HAS has no negatron inside.
OK, I guess that is what I'm asking. So I just unscrewed my wires to look and I see that the green wire is -5v, ah-ha! Even in the RGB instructions pictures, I couldn't see that! LOL, more info for the FAQ!

To the -5V rail of the PSU, just like you do for +5V, +12V and GND.

The HAS power cable has 6 wires. 2 for +5V, 2 for GND, 1 for +12V and 1 for -5V.

In short, you need a power supply that provides all three voltages, that's it.

how do you guys deal with boards that output stereo?
Like Konami, 1slot MVS etc.

Do you run a separate high/low converter to get to RCA?
Or could I use one of the additional header on the HAS to feed stereo to it and output via the RCA plug?
That would really tidy up the setup ;)

Or could I use one of the additional header on the HAS to feed stereo to it and output via the RCA plug?
Sadly I don't yet as I don't fully understand it and don't want to blow anything up (speakers or otherwise), but as you guys explain it out, I'll add it to the running FAQ. Maybe soon it will be big enough to have its own thread.

yeah would be cool if the HAS had a 4pin stereo input header where I can feed the amplified stereo out from my boards, and let the HAS attenuate to line level for the RCA plugs.
Would that be an option @RGB?

Boards I want to run with it:
- Konami stuff, Simpsons, Xmen, Turtles etc.
- NeoGeo MVS 1 slot
- Atomiswave

CPS2 already has RCA line level out, so that's all good as it is :)

I wired up a car line level converter - https://www.bestbuy.com/site/metra-two-channel-line-output-converter-black/1265702.p?skuId=1265702

I actually use it on my net city now with Jammafier games. Works great once you've dialed everything in on your boards to be consistent.

As to how to wire one up you need two rca jacks you wire to the bare leads exposed. The ground wires are for isolation however I didn't need them. Plug the board into the rca jacks and then plug the HAS into the two RCA plugs on the converter. Once that's done there are two gang ports you can twist to change the attenuation.

1slot MVS all are mono (at least at the JAMMA end). The stereo ones are 2-4 and 6-slots. For those, I have a JAMMA extension (bought to RGB along with my HAS, IIRC) which has some jumpers to change it from JAMMA to MVS audio setup.

1slot MVS all are mono (at least at the JAMMA end). The stereo ones are 2-4 and 6-slots. For those, I have a JAMMA extension (bought to RGB along with my HAS, IIRC) which has some jumpers to change it from JAMMA to MVS audio setup.
Some 1slots have a 4pin JST NH header for amplified stereo
MV-1F and FS for example ;)

yeah would be cool if the HAS had a 4pin stereo input header where I can feed the amplified stereo out from my boards, and let the HAS attenuate to line level for the RCA plugs.
Would that be an option @RGB?

Boards I want to run with it:
- Konami stuff, Simpsons, Xmen, Turtles etc.
- NeoGeo MVS 1 slot
- Atomiswave

CPS2 already has RCA line level out, so that's all good as it is :)
Don't for get the speaker-level stereo from the Taito F3 as well.

whut? 1slot with Stereo from Jamma?
Does that have similar Jamma pinout to multislots then?

whut? 1slot with Stereo from Jamma?
Does that have similar Jamma pinout to multislots then?
The 1F and 1FS motherboards give both stereo and mono output over jamma selectable via a switch on the board.

I believe JNX has tutorials to mod many other boards to obtain stereo via Jamma.

Back