What's new
@zionfarm You're at the right forum to learn about this stuff. There are guys here who have ran the gamut of device support for the highest quality image and audio for our hobby/obsession. Soak up the glory my friend! :thumbsup:

I’ve seen some consumer photos/comparisons of the HD Retro Vision cables over on Reddit and it’s all a bit of a scam isn’t it. The RGB Hype Mafia strikes once again! :love: :thumbdown:
They work wonderfully. I have them with various heads (NeoGeo/Genesis/PS). Really clear picture and no disturbance/noise.

Tracking all guys. I was just inquiring about the different options I can get the best picture. I own a OSSC, the Retrotink 2X, 2 Sony PVM’s, & numerous scart/component cable sets. Thank you guys for the input.

V/r
Kelly

Last edited:
If you have a OSSC and a HAS I highly recommend trying the 8-pin mini din to SCART cable as the primary means of connection.

That way, if you also own a component CRT... Get the cheapo device I linked from Amazon.
You'll have the din to SCART cable to support 'em both from the HAS. ;)

The RGB to component converter linked to on Amazon is a cheap clone of the CSY-2100. The latter being the original product and of much higher quality, especially noticeable in colour reproduction.

Another option which has an equally good conversion to the CSY-2100 and the benefit of audio pass-through is the Shinybow SB-2840.

The HD RetroVision cables are fine but take a few shortcuts in order to simplify and cram the circuit into the cable.

The benefit of the external converters is that they can be used with any system that outputs RGBS over scart. The downside is their size and fact they require external power.

The benefit of the HD cables is their compactness and ease of use, nothing else is required other than the cable. The downside is they can only be used on the one system and the video quality doesn't match that of the external converters.
I’m using a Micomsoft Xselect-D4 to transcode from my HASv2 to component on a Sony consumer Trinitron. How would you rank the Xselect-D4? Would I get better results with the shinybow converter?

Micomsoft Xselect-D4 to transcode from my HASv2 to component on a Sony consumer Trinitron
I don't think you'll see a real improvement in visuals unless you ditch the consumer Trinitron for a PVM/BVM and go pure RGBs.

Last edited by a moderator:
I started to wire up my power supply but I’m not sure that I got the right one. I’ve got a Suzo Happ Power Pro. From top to bottom the terminals are +5V 15A, gnd, gnd, -5V 1A, +12v 2A, FG, AC115, AC115. Is it going to be a problem if it isn’t +12 2.5A?

@RGB I am starting to understand the HAS a little better (from use everyday with the OSSC) but I'm still ignorant when it comes to mono/stereo.

For example, Battletoads:

Amplified:
L = L speaker -
10 = L speaker +
M = R speaker -
11 = R speaker +

Switchable via dip #2
ON = Stereo
OFF = Mono

Speaker level output.

Does this mean if I leave the stereo on, the HAS will provide stereo sound out via the 3.5mm jack into my OSSC via the JAMMA edge? Or is the only way to get stereo to tap it off of the PCB? Also is speaker level output safe for the HAS?

I'm trying to figure out how to get stereo for my games now based on the thread:

List of arcade PCBs with stereo output

No, it's always mono via the 3.5mm on the HAS, and if you switch the Battletoads to output stereo, you'll get one channel output only via the 3.5mm.
As for other games with stereo from that list, I see that besides the MVS, most output it not via the JAMMA, but some AUX connectors, so you want to use an external speaker level to line level adapter for those.

Got it. So for the rare game, like BT or the MVS that puts the stereo out via the JAMMA edge, the HAS has no way to tap into that? So I would need some sort of in-between adapter on the JAMMA edge?

You can use the MVS's stereo line level 3.5mm jack to tap stereo. The adapter in-between the HAS and JAMMA won't work, unless such adapter has its own 3.5mm jack for stereo output. I used to offer a JAMMA extension cable with such functionality.

Do I have to sign up for the preorder page if I already asked to be on the list here?

I need help placing my pre-order for the HAS. I don't know anything about superguns but I've been paying attention to the HAS and knew that I would get one if they were ever made available on a wider scale. Basically, here is a list of games I'd want to play, and I'd want to know if this is realistic (compatibility-wise) and which accessories I'd need to order to get the full experience out of these games (including being able to play multiplayer, etc). I have a gscartsw v3.4 automatic powered SCART switch and an NEC XP29 Plus CRT monitor that takes RGBS. I pretty please need help in picking the various parts on the HAS pre-order form.

I wouldn't need the full boards for each game, would I? I want to eventually get Battletoads, Killer Instinct, Killer Instinct 2, Vs. Slalom, and X the Ball boards, but I can't have a million boards taking up space. Is there a way to play games from an SD card or something, and if so then would I need to buy additional accessories to make that happen?

PS--Am I able to somehow use a trackball with the HAS?

These are the games I'm mostly interested in playing:
Arm Wrestling
Battletoads
Donkey Kong
Donkey Kong 3
Donkey Kong Jr.
F-Zero AX
Killer Instinct
Killer Instinct 2
Mario Bros.
Mario Kart Arcade GP
Mario Kart Arcade GP 2
Mario Kart Arcade GP DX
Ms. Pac-Man
Pac & Pal
Pac-Land
Pac-Man
Pac-Man Battle Royale
Pac-Mania
Punch-Out!!
Street Fighter
Street Fighter Alpha 2
Street Fighter Alpha 3
Street Fighter Alpha: Warriors' Dreams
Street Fighter II
Street Fighter III: New Generation
Street Fighter IV
Super Pac-Man
Super Punch-Out!!
Vs. Balloon Fight
Vs. Baseball
Vs. Clu Clu Land
Vs. Excitebike
Vs. Ice Climber
Vs. Slalom
Vs. Super Mario Bros.
Vs. Wrecking Crew
X the Ball

I would also love to be able to play these games:
Beastorizer
Bloody Roar 2
Bloody Roar 3
Bust-A-Move
Bust-A-Move 2
Bust-A-Move 3
Bust-A-Move 4
Double Dragon
Double Dragon II: The Revenge
Double Dragon 3: The Rosetta Stone
Gauntlet
Gauntlet II
Gauntlet Legends
Gauntlet Dark Legacy
Ghosts 'n Goblins
Ghouls 'n Ghosts
Haunted Castle
Marvel Super Heroes
Marvel Super Heroes vs. Street Fighter
Marvel vs. Capcom
Marvel vs. Capcom 2
Metal Slug
Metal Slug 2
Metal Slug 3
Metal Slug 4
Metal Slug 5
Metal Slug 6
Mortal Kombat
Mortal Kombat II
Mortal Kombat 3
Ultimate Mortal Kombat 3
Mortal Kombat 4
NBA Hangtime
NBA Jam
NBA Jam Extreme
NBA Jam Tournament Edition
NBA Showtime: NBA on NBC
Rampage
Rampage World Tour
Soulcalibur
Soulcalibur II
Soul Edge
Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles
X-Men: Children of the Atom
X-Men vs Street Fighter

Please note the list of games is just for compatibility reasons and to make sure that I am making the right decision with the HAS (I believe I am). All of this supergun stuff is very daunting for me and any help would be much appreciated. I understand it will take effort to get everything running and to get all the parts to work together, but I would like for this all to be as simple as possible. I just want to be able to play these games on my CRT in RGB lol.

Last edited:
AlxUnderBase, my current setup is super neat and tidy, with my CRT monitor, AVR, speakers, VCR, and eight home consoles (Nintendo/Sony/Microsoft) all organized nicely and compactly around an Ikea Expedit 2x4 shelving unit, all systems outputting YPbPr or RGB. Also I do not own any flash carts and so far have only been playing actual/original game cartridges and discs.

I know tons of stuff about setting up and playing game consoles, but I know absolutely nothing about arcade stuff. I’m wondering if it’s possible to have the HAS, along with some kind of SD card reader to play ROMs from, so that I can play the arcade games I want to play in a legit/quality way, while also keeping my setup looking nice and compact.

Are you saying that I need those huge multicart things (I have no idea what those are, since I am very new to all this arcade stuff) in order to play the games that I want? And that I need multiple different ones? That sounds like it would be taking up tons of room. I may just not be understanding this correctly but is it really not possible to somehow just have all my arcade games on an SD card and launch them from some type of SD drive that is hooked up to the HAS?

I’m going to try to find some YouTube videos so that I can understand all of this more, but it would suck if in order to play the games I want to play (listed in my initial comment) in RGB that I would need tons of huge individual boxes :(

I’m wondering if it’s possible to have the HAS, along with some kind of SD card reader to play ROMs from, so that I can play the arcade games I want to play in a legit/quality way, while also keeping my setup looking nice and compact.
I don't think you want a supergun. You would be better served with a MAME setup running on a PC or raspberry Pi.

Back