What's new
Are you saying that I need those huge multicart things (I have no idea what those are, since I am very new to all this arcade stuff) in order to play the games that I want?
Yes. You could instead go with individual boards, but they'll take up even more room.

And that I need multiple different ones?
Yes. Much like you'd need a different Everdrive for each of your consoles. Except each multi (with the exception of the MVS one) only nets you 20ish games instead of 500+ you'd get on a console flashcart.

That sounds like it would be taking up tons of room.
It does. Your average game is somewhere around 12"x8"x1.5". Some much bigger, some much smaller. They need to be stored vertically and preferably in ESD safe packing/bags/boxes.

I may just not be understanding this correctly but is it really not possible to somehow just have all my arcade games on an SD card and launch them from some type of SD drive that is hooked up to the HAS?
the Goat is pretty spot on here. A supergun is a device to play legitimate arcade PCB's on a normal TV setup. If you're concerned with space, or want to play games off of an SD card or something anyway, just setup a MAME PC. It will be much more along the lines of what you seem to be after.

I wouldn't need the full boards for each game, would I?
I missed this one before. Yes, you would.

The only thing the HAS does is take the video/audio/controls from the PCB and send them to your TV, speakers, and controller. Nothing more.

Or you can use the HAS with this toy :)
But that really just makes things unnecessarily convoluted. That's a PC designed to go in a cab.
Why take that out of a cab and throw a HAS on it rather than just use a PC to begin with? :P
I'm sorry for misunderstanding, since from what i've read i don't know if he like the arcade boards releases because they are quite large.

I don't think you want a supergun. You would be better served with a MAME setup running on a PC or raspberry Pi.
Okay you know what, I watched the HAS setup video and I'm now watching the SmokeMonster 'Arcade Consolizing vs Superguns' video and I think I'm beginning to understand some of this stuff...

So certain boards like the CPS2, CPS3, and Neo Geo MVS are able to play many different games from the single board (using the multicart setup), but will I actually need individual boards just for certain games like Killer Instinct just to make them compatible with the HAS? And what about the Nintendo arcade games, do they share a board or would I need to get them all individually as well?

I'm starting to think this may be possible, but that I will need to keep all my arcade stuff in a separate box that I only bust out when I actually want to play an arcade game. Would someone be able to check out my two game lists (two comments up^) and let me know about how many different boards I would need?

Please let me know if I'm beginning to understand this correctly or not. When I first got into RGB CRT gaming, it was like a foreign language to me but now I understand it all very well.

And if I am understanding this correctly, which components would I need to add to my order? I don't know what a kick harness is... I'm guessing I'd need to get whichever kick harness goes with whatever boards I plan to use? And same would go for the player 3/4 harness, depending on if there are any 3/4-player games for whichever boards I plan on using? And I'm guessing I would not need the HD15 adapter PCB, the 8pin mini DIN to HD15 adapter PCB, the composite/S-video adapter, or any of the PS2 adapters since I'd be going directly into a SCART switch? And it would probably be a good idea to get the Arcade PSU terminal block cover and power cord cable, yea?
https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSdaIqgFINaiJ1ghLQWQDeLkIPx0DH5nbIoZLa7QbXzS-XA9yQ/viewform

rewrite, Thank you so much for all that info. Based on my two game lists (a few comments back), how many game boards would I need? Honestly the first list is more important in a way, but I would love to be able to play games from the second list (and it seems like the second list might actually need less boards since a lot of those may run on the CPS2/3 etc).

@RdCrestdBreegull I’m only echoing this because I’ve been on both sides of it.

In my pre-arcade-hardware life, I ran a huge Hyperspin setup on a dedicated PC. The only mess was controls (guns for gun games, a fightstick, a usb trackball).

In my post-arcade-hardware life (after buying a HAS) I own 2 bookshelves of arcade pcb’s, dozens of boxes of parts, a soldering rig, wiring up my ass, actual CRTs, video converters, etc with half my basement dedicated to the hobby. And I’m lucky, I only have 3 cabs and it all fits in my space ;)

Click the VAPS link in my signature. All the boards are listed one by one. If it is a “multi” it says so in the far right column. The systems can be looked up on system16.com so you can see what games run on e.g. CPS2 or any other multi. But you need a dedicated board for that multi “system”.

You don’t want a HAS, or arcade hardware (in your current state of mind anyway). Buy a cheap PC and run an emulation front end like hyperspin. You’re going to make some conpromises especially with newer games that don’t emulate well, or that would require odd gear to play (like driving games) but it’ll do most of what you want with little trouble or cost. Find someone with a precompiled drive (with roms) and the setup will be minimal.

@RdCrestdBreegull A very large majority of your games are their own board. Some of which go for hundreds of dollars a piece.

Super Punch-Out is over a $500 PCB at this point.

Other games you've listed, like the Mario Kart GP games require *extensive* setups with a fair amount of expensive hardware and will only play 2-3 games on your list.

And F-Zero AX's controller is considered unobtainium.

These games are all separate boards. Only a handful of which cost less than $100, some run over a grand:

Beastorizer
Bloody Roar 2
Bloody Roar 3
Double Dragon
Double Dragon II: The Revenge
Double Dragon 3: The Rosetta Stone
Gauntlet
Gauntlet II
Gauntlet Legends
Gauntlet Dark Legacy
Ghosts 'n Goblins
Ghouls 'n Ghosts
Haunted Castle
Marvel vs. Capcom 2
Metal Slug 6
Mortal Kombat
Mortal Kombat II
Mortal Kombat 3
Ultimate Mortal Kombat 3
Mortal Kombat 4
NBA Hangtime
NBA Jam
NBA Jam Extreme
NBA Jam Tournament Edition
NBA Showtime: NBA on NBC
Rampage
Rampage World Tour
Soulcalibur
Soulcalibur II
Soul Edge
Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles

Arm Wrestling
Battletoads
Donkey Kong
Donkey Kong 3
Donkey Kong Jr.
Killer Instinct
Killer Instinct 2
Mario Bros.
Ms. Pac-Man
Pac & Pal
Pac-Land
Pac-Man
Pac-Man Battle Royale
Pac-Mania
Punch-Out!!
Street Fighter
Street Fighter II
Street Fighter III: New Generation
Street Fighter IV
Super Pac-Man
Super Punch-Out!!
X the Ball

You can run Mario Kart GP & F-Zero AX off of a modded Wii very easily with a GameCube controller. (The TriForce arcade hardware is based off of the GameCube.)

A lot of the titles you mentioned have very solid console ports. (I personally prefer a proper port over emulation, but that’s just me...)

Think of a supergun as the hardware that replaces all of the arcade wiring that allows you to play actual arcade PCBs on a consumer display. (Essentially bringing the experience closer to that of a console than using an arcade cabinet.) While most of my collection is Sega console based, I also dabble with some arcade stuff (Sega, Capcom and SNK.) I actually replaced all of the wiring in my Sega candy cab with a HAS and have that as the basis of my cab wiring to streamline things. It’s sort of unorthodox and purists may take issue with it, but it significantly simplifies things for me, and it allows me to swap in and out arcade PCBs or consoles (Dreamcast, Saturn, Xbox 360, etc.) within minutes.

@RdCrestdBreegull ... For a arcade experience you can use the HAS with this toy :)
Do you have any experience with this device?

I remember seeing it on an UK forum sometime back with two versions available.

Any idea how these run for emulation like PCSX2? I have an i7 930 OC @ 4Ghz with an ASUS ROG gtx 680 directcu 2 and get slowdowns in some games like Grand Turismo 4 and MGS3.

Okay so I figured out which games run on which boards. Are there multicarts for the Atari Gauntlet, CPS, CPS2, Midway Killer Instinct, Midway T Unit, Midway Vegas, Midway Wolf Unit, MVS, Namco Super Pacman, Namco System 246, Nintendo Vs. System, and Sega Triforce boards? (I know a couple of these have already been mentioned or explained but I wanted to mention all the ones that have multiple games on my list.)

As an example, even though lots of games use the Nintendo Vs. System board, was that pre-jamma? So for that one I couldn't even use it with the HAS or what? Or how would that work? And even for the jamma boards that have multiple games...if there is no multi cart being made for them, do I still have to get each game individually? Like, can Killer Instinct 2 somehow run on a Killer Instinct 2 board? etc. These are the kinds of questions I'm wondering about now.

I think what it may come down to is me just getting a few must-owns for my collection, plus a couple multicarts. X the Ball is on ebay right now for $300, but Killer Instinct is like $600 or something...

ATARI GAUNTLET: 2
ATARI VEGAS: 1
Atomiswave: 1
BALLY MIDWAY MCR-MONOBOARD: 1
CAPCOM 68000: 1
CAPCOM SONY ZN-1: 1
CPS: 2
CPS2: 8
CPS3: 1
KONAMI CONTRA: 1
KONAMI TMNT: 1
MIDWAY KILLER INSTINCT: 2
MIDWAY PACMAN: 1
MIDWAY T UNIT: 4
MIDWAY VEGAS: 2
MIDWAY WOLF UNIT: 4
MIDWAY ZEUS: 1
MVS: 7
NAMCO PACLAND: 1
NAMCO PAC MAN: 1
NAMCO SUPER PACMAN: 2
NAMCO SYSTEM 1: 1
NAMCO SYSTEM 11: 1
NAMCO SYSTEM 12: 1
NAMCO SYSTEM 246: 2
SEGA NAOMI: 1
SEGA TRIFORCE: 3
TAITO TYPE X2: 1
Vs.: 8

Arm Wrestling
Battletoads
Donkey Kong
Donkey Kong 3
Donkey Kong Jr.
F-Zero AX (SEGA TRIFORCE)
Killer Instinct (MIDWAY KILLER INSTINCT)
Killer Instinct 2 (MIDWAY KILLER INSTINCT)
Mario Bros.
Mario Kart Arcade GP (SEGA TRIFORCE)
Mario Kart Arcade GP 2 (SEGA TRIFORCE)
Mario Kart Arcade GP DX
Ms. Pac-Man (MIDWAY PACMAN)
Pac & Pal (NAMCO SUPER PACMAN)
Pac-Land (NAMCO PACLAND)
Pac-Man (NAMCO PAC MAN)
Pac-Man Battle Royale
Pac-Mania (NAMCO SYSTEM 1)
Punch-Out!!
Street Fighter (CAPCOM 68000)
Street Fighter Alpha 2 (CPS2)
Street Fighter Alpha 3 (CPS2)
Street Fighter Alpha: Warriors' Dreams (CPS2)
Street Fighter II (CPS)
Street Fighter III: New Generation (CPS3)
Street Fighter IV (TAITO TYPE X2)
Super Pac-Man (NAMCO SUPER PACMAN)
Super Punch-Out!!
Vs. Balloon Fight (Vs.)
Vs. Baseball (Vs.)
Vs. Clu Clu Land (Vs.)
Vs. Excitebike (Vs.)
Vs. Ice Climber (Vs.)
Vs. Slalom (Vs.)
Vs. Super Mario Bros. (Vs.)
Vs. Wrecking Crew (Vs.)
X the Ball

Beastorizer
Bloody Roar 2
Bloody Roar 3 (NAMCO SYSTEM 246)
Bust-A-Move (MVS)
Bust-A-Move 2
Bust-A-Move 3
Bust-A-Move 4
Double Dragon (MVS)
Double Dragon II: The Revenge
Double Dragon 3: The Rosetta Stone
Gauntlet (ATARI GAUNTLET)
Gauntlet II (ATARI GAUNTLET)
Gauntlet Legends (ATARI VEGAS)
Gauntlet Dark Legacy (MIDWAY VEGAS)
Ghosts 'n Goblins
Ghouls 'n Ghosts (CPS)
Haunted Castle (KONAMI CONTRA)
Marvel Super Heroes (CPS2)
Marvel Super Heroes vs. Street Fighter (CPS2)
Marvel vs. Capcom (CPS2)
Marvel vs. Capcom 2 (SEGA NAOMI)
Metal Slug (MVS)
Metal Slug 2 (MVS)
Metal Slug 3 (MVS)
Metal Slug 4 (MVS)
Metal Slug 5 (MVS)
Metal Slug 6 (Atomiswave)
Mortal Kombat (MIDWAY T UNIT)
Mortal Kombat II (MIDWAY T UNIT)
Mortal Kombat 3 (MIDWAY WOLF UNIT)
Ultimate Mortal Kombat 3 (MIDWAY WOLF UNIT)
Mortal Kombat 4 (MIDWAY ZEUS)
NBA Hangtime (MIDWAY WOLF UNIT)
NBA Jam (MIDWAY T UNIT)
NBA Jam Extreme (CAPCOM SONY ZN-1)
NBA Jam Tournament Edition (MIDWAY T UNIT)
NBA Showtime: NBA on NBC (MIDWAY VEGAS)
Rampage (BALLY MIDWAY MCR-MONOBOARD)
Rampage World Tour (MIDWAY WOLF UNIT)
Soulcalibur (NAMCO SYSTEM 12)
Soulcalibur II (NAMCO SYSTEM 246)
Soul Edge (NAMCO SYSTEM 11)
Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles (KONAMI TMNT)
X-Men: Children of the Atom (CPS2)
X-Men vs Street Fighter (CPS2)

Are there multicarts for the Atari Gauntlet, CPS, CPS2, Midway Killer Instinct, Midway T Unit, Midway Vegas, Midway Wolf Unit, MVS, Namco Super Pacman, Namco System 246, Nintendo Vs. System, and Sega Triforce boards?
As was mentioned earlier Triforce games require an inordinate amount of extra hardware. You're going to need a triforce ($500), a steering wheel and pedal set for Mario Kart, and a DIFFERENT steering wheel and pedal set for F-Zero (and you won't find the steering wheel), as well as several I/O PCB's, a dedicated second PSU for JVS, and a third one for FFB. Yes, you can netboot Triforce games, so you won't need to buy the discs and dongles, but you need so much extra hardware it's irrelevant. Also a card reader. All 4 of those games are EASILY playable on a modded wii. The actual triforce images, not ports. Same games.

I listed all the games that have NO multi in an above post. So no to Vegas, Wolf, KI, T Unit, CPS1 (for the next couple years at least), Gauntlet, and any PacMan games.

There's an MVS multi. It's $4xx.00. You'd need also a single slot MVS motherboard.

Sys2x6 has a multi dongle but you still need to burn discs/hard drives. You'll also need a *Namco* JVS I/O and a JVS PSU.

CPS2 there's a multi. You need a kick harness.

VS System IIRC there's something in the works but not out yet. You need a Nintendo VS System to JAMMA adapter, the motherboard, and a cart for each game.

Last edited:
You can run Mario Kart GP & F-Zero AX off of a modded Wii very easily with a GameCube controller. (The TriForce arcade hardware is based off of the GameCube.)
Same thing with Wiiu with HD res...F ZERO AX/GX is so nice in widescreen in 1080p. You can use gamecube controller adpter is the best on console.

@RdCrestdBreegull you are asking a ton of questions that something like Google (TM) and Wikipedia (TM) can help you on. For example, if you Google "what is a supergun" this is the first hit, which will provide you a ton of answers.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SuperGun

Also, you can read this thread, a few pages (maybe like 5-8) back I list a ton of boards I've successfully tested with the HAS (spoiler, ALL work great), so read up on that.

You can also look at this site which will show you many popular games and what "systems" they run on. Note that the information isn't 100% correct at times (more like 95%) and also it doesn't go into detail about multi-systems that the genius' on here have developed.

http://www.system16.com

Finally, the members here are awesome and many will help answer your questions, but you should start a new thread with questions instead of clogging up the HAS thread.

Hi RGB

My Supergun seems to have some issue

I cannot adjust the the voltage as the Voltmeter seems spoilt and the led light at S (Top right hand) dont seems to light up

This has been reported before (Home Arcade System - new supergun sets). I ordered replacement voltmeters and everyone who experiences problems with theirs, will get a new one.

and the led light at S (Top right hand) dont seems to light up
It's not supposed to light up unless you activated the asynchronous autofire mode. Please read the instruction manual for the HAS.

Last edited:
I’m wondering if it’s possible to have the HAS, along with some kind of SD card reader to play ROMs from, so that I can play the arcade games I want to play in a legit/quality way, while also keeping my setup looking nice and compact.
I don't think you want a supergun. You would be better served with a MAME setup running on a PC or raspberry Pi.
A Supergun is mainly for playing actual real arcade boards. Some of these actual real arcade boards can have multiple games on them that run on similar hardware. Thus, you can have a CPSII Multi game installed onto your actual real CPSII arcade board and play every game that the CPSII system has on it. You could then have multiple kits like the CPSII for other actual real arcade systems like the Taito F3 or Neo Geo. And each of these would take up room. (and that's a good thing...) :D

If you just want to play all of the games in your list from one device, then a MAME computer setup is most likely your best option. (and that may or may not be a good thing...) =O

Back