What's new
i answered to MP for order 3 days ago....no return so i assume that i made an error so i answered again it.

I know I expressed interest in a HAS back in May but received no PM about it.

@nonosto

You don't need to solder.

The power supply you linked to will be fine. RGB provides a power cable with the HAS, you simply connect one end to the HAS via a plug, and the other end will have fork terminals which will insert into the terminal block of your arcade PSU, and are secured by using a screwdriver to screw the terminals down tight thus clamping the wires in place.

Simple version: Just buy the power supply, nothing else is needed.

I assume you have knowledge of connecting the arcade power supply to mains power? If not, please be careful and ask for help if needed.

I assume you have knowledge of connecting the arcade power supply to mains power? If not, please be careful and ask for help if needed.
I highly recommend you double/triple check the terminal wiring before powering on the unit/supply.
I made the mistake of wiring a HAS incorrectly once, feeding 12v into the 5v line WILL destroy the HAS in 0.1 seconds.

I highly recommend you double/triple check the terminal wiring before powering on the unit/supply.I made the mistake of wiring a HAS incorrectly once, feeding 12v into the 5v line WILL destroy the HAS in 0.1 seconds.
Ouch. Did you have a game board connected too or just the HAS?

Game board too, but that was totally unaffected/still worked fine.
Seems the HAS absorbed the excess voltage at its own peril/destruction.

Some horror shots (yes that IC actually burst into flames momentarily)...
NB6iKME.jpg

Even when removed/desoldered look what it did to the PCB underneath...
VSyO2wJ.jpg

:O

Far out, nicely done!

At least the game didn't suffer.

THX All.
I dont have any knowledge about it....if you have a tutotiral for it please.
I know you must use a PC power cable and cut it for solder fork.

@nonosto - I recommend you buy a Mean Well MWP-606 or SUZO 42PP0606, the best PSU I've tested so far. The metal cage is really sturdy, build quality is top notch and the PSU doesn't get hot.

I will offer or at least release STL files for a cover for the Mean Well MWP-606/SUZO 42PP0606. It will be screwed to the unused COM terminal to hold the cover in place.

PSU connection:

17457604109_4e3dd97f1e_z.jpg

I include the harness that goes between the PSU and HAS, you just need to buy the cable that goes between the PSU and the wall socket. Standard computer PSU cable will do, just cut and strip it. Even better would be an IEC cable with a switch - https://www.atxpowersupplies.com/computer-power-cord-with-switch.php
Avoid cheap Chinese PSUs and power cables.

Last edited:
I will try to add fork in my power cable. So what's fork and soler wire can I use.

I want to touch on the subject of ATX PSUs for powering the arcade stuff in case you wonder why I opt for the arcade dedicated PSUs instead.

ATX PSUs typically have high power rating, like 250-500W, that's what most people will use, because they have a spare one after upgrading their PC, or just find one cheap. Problem is, arcade PCBs don't require that much juice, you'd be hard pressed to find a game that needs more than 50W (perhaps games from early-mid 80ies), most will require 10-30W, which is like nothing for the ATX PSU. A short circuit that has some small resistance (i.e, +5V/+12V isn't shorted directly to GND) won't trip the PSU's short circuit protection immediately. Such short will basically be seen as load, so the PSU will push more amps before it detects the short (especially a cheap ATX PSU). A 250W or more can push a lot of amps, in result it can fry the PCB, or even melt the wires (depending on their insulation rating).

@RGB nice. you should add all that info about the meanwell and atx’s to your first post. I feel like half of this thread is “add me to the list” and the other half is “what psu should I use”... :thumbup:

If you don’t want to copy paste it you could at least link to the posts.

Back