What's new
I still don’t understand what cable I need for S video. A PlayStation s video cable?

I still don’t understand what cable I need for S video
Because you don't need a cable... You need an adapter!
The HAS only outputs RGBs, so you need something like a 8pin mini din to Euro SCART cable and then a SCART to S-Video adapter.

0C7A2CE8-F1FE-43FB-A461-3CDA8C3AAF55.jpeg

+
HTB1.C09wFGWBuNjy0Fbq6z4sXXax.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
@Wraith - I offer the RGB->S-Video/Composite Video adapter, so you need this + the PlayStation S-Video cable.

@jassin000 - the "adapter" shown in your picture is just a passive splitter, it doesn't do any signal conversion.

the "adapter" shown in your picture is just a passive splitter, it doesn't do any signal conversion.
Oops, haha! But yes it must be a active adapter (not just a passive/passthru).
@Wraith I've gotta be honest here... Why in the F*** would you want to use S-Video in 2019?

Its 110% beyond my comprehension!
58b60830d26ef5b1f63fd4edb732fe5c220cba41465f207836d5bf861c5ece40.jpg

So what? You've got some CRT TV with S-Video on it bro? Toss it!
Yes you heard me, toss it into a goddamn landfill right now (the fact you haven't already is somehow upsetting to me)!!!

You can get CRT TV's for free off Craigslist all day long, just look for one with component video.
Then get a SCART to component adapter, it will look sooooo much better than bullshit S-Video.

Well my set up is 90% hd retrovision cables. I ordered the hd retrovision ps1 adaptor and another genesis 2 cable, will I be good to go with that?

I only was inquiring about s video because i thought it’d be the easiest solution, I prefer component for my set up

Well my set up is 90% hd retrovision cables. I ordered the hd retrovision ps1 adaptor and another genesis 2 cable, will I be good to go with that?

I only was inquiring about s video because i thought it’d be the easiest solution, I prefer component for my set up
I think that we gave you the wrong advice and recommended the HAS because most of us use RGB CRT monitors or OSSC\RGB mini and LCD..and you are happy with your consumer Sony TV CRT and component input...maybe the question should be, which is the better supergun out in the market with component that suits your needs since you are not moving to RGB and will stay with the Sony TV CRT. Maybe create a new tread asking this question so we move the conversation away from the HAS tread. I don't think that many of us have really look into component supergun solutions.

I must admit moving from EU to the states made me realize how grateful I am to have grown up with a world of RGB/Scart :)

I must admit moving from EU to the states made me realize how grateful I am to have grown up with a world of RGB/Scart
Oh you Euro guys love to rub that in our faces... Lets talk about 60hz vs 50hz.
Not so cocky now are ya (aka 50hz is for pussys that can't play games at the proper/correct speeds). ;)
Then get a HAS, a 8pin mini din to SCART cable, a 3.5mm stereo audio to RCA cable and a SCART to component adapter.

0C7A2CE8-F1FE-43FB-A461-3CDA8C3AAF55.jpeg

+
41XxqL%2BgzoL.jpg

+
08919-02-L.jpg

1. 8pin din is connected to the HAS
  2. 3.5mm audio is connected to the HAS
  3. SCART output is connected to component adapter
  4. component output is connected to TV
  5. RCA audio output is connected to TV

Oh you Euro guys love to rub that in our faces... Lets talk about 60hz vs 50hz.
Not so cocky now are ya (aka 50hz is for pussys that can't play games at the proper/correct speeds).
Ahah yup. I remember modding my Super Nintendo (the one that looks good, with the right buttons and color schemes 8-)) with a switch to that effect and voila never experienced 50hz anymore after this day :P

So I have the hd retrovision ps1 cable, (ps1 adaptor and genesis 2 cable) and my cps3 has rca stereo out. If I order the HAS with all the little optional adaptors, will I be good to go to get component video?

HAS —>RGB’s ps2 RGB Scart adaptor—>Hdretrovision ps1 adaptor and genesis cable—>TV

And

Cps3 rca stereo out —> TV

I know I’ll have to close the jumpers on the HAS for it to work.

I also know you guys don’t like HD Retrovision but I love them and I already have the cables

So I have the hd retrovision ps1 cable, (ps1 adaptor and genesis 2 cable) and my cps3 has rca stereo out. If I order the HAS with all the little optional adaptors, will I be good to go to get component video?

HAS —>RGB’s ps2 RGB Scart adaptor—>Hdretrovision ps1 adaptor and genesis cable—>TV

And

I also know you guys don’t like HD Retrovision but I love them and I already have the cables
I can't give you a definitive answer to this, because I don't have the HD Retrovision cables, but one page earlier @Kano mentioned a setup like this.

would you consider doing the small modification for me before you send my package? I’d be glad to pay an additional amount for you.

I just don’t have a soldering iron

I just don't understand the part about the Genesis cable? ?(

If you have a HAS, with RGB's PS2 adapter and a HD Retrovision PS1 SCART cable... What do you need a Genesis cable for?

Video: HAS > PS Multi out adapter > HD Retrovision PS1 SCART cable = Component Video Output
Audio: CPS3 = RCA Audio Output (connect directly to TV)

Am I missing something?

And

yes that would get you component video. Also make sure you flip the switch on the PS2 adaptor to sync on luma.

Last edited:
Thank you all for your responses.

Hd retrovision cables are in my opinion fantastic. For guys who like consumer CRTs they are actually perfect. Could I use a scart to component transcoder? Yes I’m sure I could, but I’ve heard mixed reviews about them. The hd retrovision cables are a very easy plug and play solution for guys who don’t upscale or have rgb monitors.

When I saw SNK’s rgb monitors in person I was blown away though

Here’s another thing to keep in mind. I know you guys can’t fathom anything short of RGB output, but I’m currently focused on the competive 3rd strike scene and if I want to bring the Supergun somewhere, I want to have an easy s video/component solution, hell, and even composite.

Reactions: RGB
Component isn't bad honestly, yes it's still encoded/compressed (chroma/blue–luminance/red–luminance) but better than s-video for sure.
Composite is just horrible!

RGB is so prized because its color space uncompressed.
This is where the old joke "what does NTSC stand for?" "Never The Same Color" comes from. :)

Individual RGB values aren't directly stated in component, they are decoded/factored in real time...

pnBGJ0W.jpg

I've posted this image a few times now, and yes I understand some encoders are better than the clone I used...
However I think it perfectly represents whats really the only issue with component, the color.
6W3AKRJ.jpg

I prefer RGB as its pure, colours are unmolested and naturally the image is as crisp as it can be.

I have no qualms with component but I've never struggled to find RGB monitors, even in Australia where they weren't common. That's the benefit of component video I think, it's far easier to find a TV with component input as opposed to RGB.

S-video is perfectly acceptable to me, I don't mind utilising it where options are limited.

Composite can suck my balls, looks like arse. It's common and convenient in the sense that at least you don't need to tune a signal in like RF, and at least audio isn't combined on the same wire as video.

RF is retarded.

Back