What's new
So I have been looking some nice CRT:s for my future arcade setup, but man has the prices gone sky high on Sony PVM/BVM series and others like.... I have a BVM on my retro console setup and I'm super happy about it, but it's a 14" one and I will be playing my arcades on bigger screen and in a different room. So I guess its time to come out of the 80s and 90s and get a proper, low inputlag LCD panel.

Need to study a bit more with those, but it seems that OSSC is a way to go? Framemaister is discontinued if I understood right? Need to make some changes to my HAS order too, since I will be looking a OSSC setup now. But I guess RGB will contact us via email when these are ready and there is an option to change the order then? Or do I PM you when I figure my setup to make changes to my pre-order?

And if you guys have some pivot 24" low latency 1080p displays recommend which work best with Arcade games and HAS let me know! Right now looking for a ViewSonic XG2402 or a BenQ 24" ZOWIE XL2411P. Any thoughts on them?

I’d say, go bigger than 24” if you can, remember the 4:3 screen will be even smaller for you. I also know they don’t make OLED TVs if you go that small, but they seem to look the best for retro gaming (and OSSC compatibly).

The OSSC is the way to go for modern displays, it’s awesome.

Framemeister was good for its time, and I guess for ease of use its still is superior to the OSSC.
However in every other category OSSC bests the xRGB Mini, and most importantly in the lag department.
1ms vs 16ms, let me rephrase that just incase it didn't sink in, the xRGB Mini is some 16 times slower at processing than OSSC.

The best display I've ever personally used with the OSSC is the LG B6, and according to @BuddyC the B7 is even better (won't need a iScan to sync Midway PCBs).
An issue with the OLEDs however (if you can call it that) is 55" is the SMALLEST B6/7 they make (with 75" being the largest).
You can't even buy one in 40" (what I think of as a single player sweet spot).

The runner up is the BenQ Zowie, but just understand that this monitor won't sync Midway PCBs (or other rare/wacky sync PCBs) without an iScan DVDO.
Also the BenQ is a 1080p monitor, but OSSC supports upto 1600x1200 (aka if you want to see all OSSC has to offer in the form of uncropped 5x scale you need a 4K display).

Last edited by a moderator:
Ahh ok...

Well I have Philips OLED 873 as my main TV. It's a 4K HDR OLED 65", so it should be large enough. I just thought that these modern TVs have way too much inputlag for the old games, but since the lag may become from the scaler as you said, I might then treat it as my main display for horizontal games (debending on the inputlag, I'm used to my BVM so might be a deal breaker if it's bad). The problem comes with the SHMUPs which use the pivot and I have no intension. or means to start rotating my 65", wall mounted TV. But perhaps even then the display area on my 65" OLED TV would be bigger than that 24" if i can set it on "pivot mode" with OSSC?

Sadly, OSSC does not provide rotation, and in fact there is no easy way to do it with ANY hardware right now. Physical rotation is the easiest way to go.

I just thought that these modern TVs have way too much inputlag for the old games
Some do, some don't. You kinda have to do your homework on it. You have to pay attention to every part of the chain. The OSSC might not add any lag, but if your screen lags already it doesn't really matter.

Also, some people are more sensitive than others. Since I play fighting games, where every frame really counts, it matters a lot to me. If it feels good to you and you don't notice? Just enjoy it.

The problem comes with the SHMUPs which use the pivot and I have no intension. or means to start rotating my 65", wall mounted TV. But perhaps even then the display area on my 65" OLED TV would be bigger than that 24" if i can set it on "pivot mode" with OSSC?
Sadly, OSSC does not provide rotation, and in fact there is no easy way to do it with ANY hardware right now. Physical rotation is the easiest way to go.
Silicon Optix Image Anyplace performs on-the-fly screen rotation. I've had one for a while. If you are interested in picking one up, I think $150-$200 (with remote) is on the reasonable end.
-ud

Consider component on a high end SD consumer CRT. I love the idea of PVMs and BVMs, but even the top of the line models aren’t big enough for me. I game on a 32” Sony trinitron and it’s a great experience.

TATE is not an option though

Silicon Optix Image Anyplace performs on-the-fly screen rotation. I've had one for a while. If you are interested in picking one up, I think $150-$200 (with remote) is on the reasonable end.
-ud
Indeed it's probably the "easiest" but being stuck at 1080i it isn't the final solution (no-nazi). I think we need to wait until the OSSC 2 comes out. See quote below from Fudoh.

"There are two very minor cons I could find while testing the unit: a) given the age of the unit, 1080p is not available. The highest HD resolution output for DVI/HDMI and VGA is 1080i and the higherst PC resolution output is 1400x1050p. And b) while the scaling overall is really good, the Image Anyplace cannot apply picture rotation to a signal with scanlines without causing scaling artefacts (unevely scaled scanlines). For 99% of all possible users this isn’t important, but it’s a hint for anybody thinking of chaining a XRGB-3 with the Image Anyplace
icon_wink.gif

PROs: excellent processing quality and full 240p compatibily, many inputs, picture rotation for “Yokotate” gameplay
CONs: not this easy to find if you’re on a budget. No 1080p output (just 1080i or PC resolutions up to 1400x1050p)"

If anyone cares to get into the details of the Tate modes available to us, this other forum covers it pretty well:

https://shmups.system11.org/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=38531

Some do, some don't. You kinda have to do your homework on it. You have to pay attention to every part of the chain. The OSSC might not add any lag, but if your screen lags already it doesn't really matter.
I found some article which said that my Phillips has about 35ms of inputlag on Game mode. So its like 2 frames or so? Well I guess I just need to see it my self and try with the TV first. If the input lag is unbearable (which it might be for a CRT guy like me) then I just need to settle for a smaller PC screen with low latency.

Read all 108 pages. Signed up on the pre-order page. Hopefully I got in.

I will be focusing mainly on Neo Geo board for now and getting that ready for this HAS. It will be my first of any arcade hardware.

I have a few questions in relation to this device.

1. The HAS only accepts mono audio from the JAMMA. But there is a way to get stereo from a Neo Geo board I've read. Do I need to perform the stereo mod on the board itself (a MV-1C) and then the JAMMA pin accepts stereo? I've read all the pages but still couldn't figure out if the stereo mod is pulled from the HAS outputs or if I need some kind of non-related adapter. (If anyone has clear guides on how to perform the mod please leave a link below!)

2. The HAS seems to work best with the Framemiester. I have one. I do not have an OSSC. I am however nervous of damaging my FM with over voltage or wrong signal type. The consensus was to get a SCART cable without components in it (I think it is a NES cable). I prefer to get all my cables from retrogamingcables.co.uk but I didn't see one of his listed here, mostly cables from the US based seller. Any RGC cables fit the bill or do I go with the US based sellers? And/or should I bite the bullet and also get a OSSC?

3. A God of arcade hardware told me he has never had a problem with Suzo Happ and swears by them. I would like to get the recommended one. Some here have stated the Neo Geo MVS doesn't pull enough amperage for it to work with some power supplies. Is the recommended Suzo Happ one of these?

4. Speaking of power supplies, eventually I will go down the road of collecting CPS1-3 and other boards. Is the Suzo Happ recommended fit to support the widest range of boards? I see some talk of ATX needed for some boards and peripherals (Like RGB's CPS controller adapter board). I would like to get an all-rounder.

5. I've seen lots of talk about JAMMA extender cables. The one from Mikes arcade comes up alot. Is this still the recommended cable? Lot's say a nice thick set of wires is the most desireable.

It was a long weekend of reading up so I am sure to come up with more questions. So far I have a MV-1C board, the NeoMasta Bios VMC board, cap kit, and lions3 plexiglass case inbound. I have more research to do on the battery mod (something about removing a 470 ohm resistor?) and ofcourse the stereo mod question. I have a Chewlix but have mostly been running Hyperspin/Mame setup on a PC with it. I want to rectify that.

Thanks for any and all help!

Hi, and welcome to A-P!

To answer your questions:
1. The new HAS will support stereo via the JAMMA edge. Your MV-1C can be stereo modded, but the stereo audio won't go through the JAMMA connector, rather via an AUX connector, like the 3.5mm jack. There are guides for this, or you could have it professionally modded for you by JNX @XianXi
2. The Framemeister is great, so far it's got the best compatibility, but it adds much more lag than the OSSC (which is pretty much lagless). For the time being my suggestion would be to just use the XRGB and see how you like it, perhaps it's just enough for your needs. For the XRGB you won't need the Scart cable, an 8pin mini din to 8pin mini din cable will do (like this one - https://www.ebay.com/itm/Mini-Din-m...-male-Cable-/371509293392?hash=item567fadf150). Don't worry about damaging your scalers, the HAS makes the signals safe for your equipment.
3. All quality arcade PSUs will do the trick. Personally I like the Mean Well MWP-606 or SUZO 42PP0606.
4. The CPS2 I/O interface comes with the ATX and 6pin VH connector (the same as used in the HAS), so if you get an arcade PSU, you'll be set.
5. We have a very cool Arcade-Projects branded JAMMA extension harness which you could buy instead - https://www.arcade-projects.com/for...e-projects-jamma-extension-cables.7833/page-1 or https://www.arcade-projects.com/for...sion-sets-with-has-kick-harness-support.7832/

Hi, and welcome to A-P!

1. The new HAS will support stereo via the JAMMA edge. Your MV-1C can be stereo modded, but the stereo audio won't go through the JAMMA connector, rather via an AUX connector, like the 3.5mm jack. There are guides for this, or you could have it professionally modded for you by JNX @XianXi
2. The Framemeister is great, so far it's got the best compatibility, but it adds much more lag than the OSSC (which is pretty much lagless). For the time being my suggestion would be to just use the XRGB and see how you like it, perhaps it's just enough for your needs. For the XRGB you won't need the Scart cable, an 8pin mini din to 8pin mini din cable will do (like this one - https://www.ebay.com/itm/Mini-Din-m...-male-Cable-/371509293392?hash=item567fadf150). Don't worry about damaging your scalers, the HAS makes the signals safe for your equipment.
3. All quality arcade PSUs will do the trick. Personally I like the Mean Well MWP-606 or SUZO 42PP0606.
4. The CPS2 I/O interface comes with the ATX and 6pin VH connector (the same as used in the HAS), so if you get an arcade PSU, you'll be set.
5. We have a very cool Arcade-Projects branded JAMMA extension harness which you could buy instead - https://www.arcade-projects.com/for...e-projects-jamma-extension-cables.7833/page-1 or https://www.arcade-projects.com/for...sion-sets-with-has-kick-harness-support.7832/
Thank you for the prompt reply! A-P is awesome! I had trouble signing up on the forums because my email was weird and not 1 or 2 but 3 mods got together to sort it out! :thumbsup: Sorry for the Neo Geo related questions but it took months for my account to be approved on the Neogeo forums, and after reading a bit there I became a bit frightened.

1. I looked into the JNX consoles and messaged him about one but seems hes backed up to 2021, so I went the DIY route instead. If anyone still has a link to a reliable how-to about the stereo mod I would appreciate it. I looked briefly on youtube but most videos were very old and not well shot.

2. I see the 8pin din you mentioned but that would require me to change out the plug! :P I like a "set it and forget it" approach. My FM is connected to the gscartsw. I might go your suggested route until I find a alternative I like then.

3. I will grab that Suzo model then. I originally was researching AES vs. MVS, which led me to iffy board revisions of the AES and hassles involved in getting them properly RGB modded, which led me into MVS consolization, then to the whole debate about those aliexpress consoles, the always out of stock omega and JNX consoles, which led me here! I still aim to have some sort of supergun box with power supply and such imbedded in it just like you posted on a separate thread.

4. I signed up for the CPS2 I/O board you sell in preparation for when I eventually get around to the CPS board stuff. Briefly researching that, seems a whole other set of issues. All that A+B board nonsense, revisions, g chips, hdmi mods, and Darksoft's mod for them. Atleast with your advice I know ill have the power supply before then. Thanks!

5. Didn't know this existed! Thanks for the link. Does the length at all effect anything? I think the 60cm might do me but maybe I should get a short and long one incase I do make some housing for it... :D

Also thought of another question:

6. Is there a list somewhere where I have to set the voltage when hooking up the supergun to a different board? I saw someones videos earlier in this thread displaying a how-to and showed to hook the supergun and board together before turning on, and starting at the lowest power setting and going up from there to 5 volts.

@RGB when you say stereo via the Jamma edge, will this be according MVS 2/4/6 slot pinout?

If so, how do you deal with the different pin for service button?

Hi, and welcome to A-P!

Thank you for the prompt reply! A-P is awesome! I had trouble signing up on the forums because my email was weird and not 1 or 2 but 3 mods got together to sort it out! :thumbsup: Sorry for the Neo Geo related questions but it took months for my account to be approved on the Neogeo forums, and after reading a bit there I became a bit frightened.
1. I looked into the JNX consoles and messaged him about one but seems hes backed up to 2021, so I went the DIY route instead. If anyone still has a link to a reliable how-to about the stereo mod I would appreciate it. I looked briefly on youtube but most videos were very old and not well shot.

2. I see the 8pin din you mentioned but that would require me to change out the plug! :P I like a "set it and forget it" approach. My FM is connected to the gscartsw. I might go your suggested route until I find a alternative I like then.

3. I will grab that Suzo model then. I originally was researching AES vs. MVS, which led me to iffy board revisions of the AES and hassles involved in getting them properly RGB modded, which led me into MVS consolization, then to the whole debate about those aliexpress consoles, the always out of stock omega and JNX consoles, which led me here! I still aim to have some sort of supergun box with power supply and such imbedded in it just like you posted on a separate thread.

4. I signed up for the CPS2 I/O board you sell in preparation for when I eventually get around to the CPS board stuff. Briefly researching that, seems a whole other set of issues. All that A+B board nonsense, revisions, g chips, hdmi mods, and Darksoft's mod for them. Atleast with your advice I know ill have the power supply before then. Thanks!

5. Didn't know this existed! Thanks for the link. Does the length at all effect anything? I think the 60cm might do me but maybe I should get a short and long one incase I do make some housing for it... :D

Also thought of another question:

6. Is there a list somewhere where I have to set the voltage when hooking up the supergun to a different board? I saw someones videos earlier in this thread displaying a how-to and showed to hook the supergun and board together before turning on, and starting at the lowest power setting and going up from there to 5 volts.
Hi mate, welcome to A-P, you'll see that people here are much more friendly ;)

on a few questions i can chime in...

1) the stereo mod for your mvs depends on the board you have (sorry if i overlooked which one you have), for this JNX still is a very good resource on his Homepage in the Tutorial Section you can find how to perform the Stereo Mod on your MVS - While you are at it, do the Battery Mod as well, your MVS will love you for it. One of the members of this forum, @SVM made a little pcb for the stereo mod, easier than doing it completely yourself :D . These were the first mods i did in the hobby und they are pretty easy if you stay calm and take your time.

2) if you use a scart switch the 8pin din to scart may be indeed the better option for you.

4) if i understand this right you only need the cps2 i/o board when you want to use the hdmi mod for the cps2 whitout a supergun - when you get your HAS i don't think you would need that.

5) the A-P jamma Extension Harness rocks - @Frank_fjs even has one that extends the kick harness as well

If anyone cares to get into the details of the Tate modes available to us, this other forum covers it pretty well
Samsung has your back with this wacky (very expensive new 4K OLED).
You caught my eye - WHAT? Samsung produced an OLED screen? It's their QLED screen...... cool idea to have it flip easy though... :)

Matt

haha, i heard about that TV on the radio today. I instantly thought of tate shoot em ups. they said it costs like 12k

If anyone in the USA has a HAS they are looking to part with, please send me a message.

Thanks!

Back