What's new
Anyone used the HAS with a gscartsw_lite before? With the gscartsw_lite thread on shmup there's a big disclaimer about how it could affect Superguns and whatever. I was hoping to use that along with an OSSC and my Live Gamer Portable (capture card with HDMI ports) to record/stream.

If that doesn't work out, I'm open to other suggestions/routes on capturing footage if ya'll happen to have any.
I use HAS + gscartsw_lite + OSSC + HDMI cap card for my PVM setup. Works great!
Thanks for all the responses above, very helpful information. Been wanting to stream some of the games I currently own and whatever else really.

Will wait until the sw_lite goes up for sale again (and pick up another HAS when RGB restocks ;))

I'm very new to all this, but very interested in getting into collecting (and playing) games for the CPS2 and was hoping I might find some advice within the pages of this forum.
The HAS looks like potentially a good way for me to go as it looks relatively straight forward to set up and I'm working with limited space at the moment. Although I do have a CRT TV set with RGB scart inputs, I don't have the room for it to be set up all the time. I currently run most of my retro consoles on my Sony KD-49XE9005 via my Hauppauge HDPVR (running either composite or S-video from the console to the Happauge, then the component out from the Happauge to the tv).
My question is would I be able to hook a CPS2 with a HAS supergun up in a similar manner? Thanks in advance for any help anyone can offer.

Last edited:
I'm very new to all this, but very interested in getting into collecting (and playing) games for the CPS2 and was hoping I might find some advice within the pages of this forum.
The HAS looks like potentially a good way for me to go as it looks relatively straight forward to set up and I'm working with limited space at the moment. Although I do have a CRT TV set with RGB scart inputs, I don't have the room for it to be set up all the time. I currently run most of my retro consoles on my Sony KD-49XE9005 via my Hauppauge HDPVR (running either composite or S-video from the console to the Happauge, then the component out from the Happauge to the tv).
My question is would I be able to hook a CPS2 with a HAS supergun up in a similar manner? Thanks in advance for any help anyone can offer.
I think Mike aka @RGB can help you in this manner ! Good luck :thumbup:

I currently run most of my retro consoles on my Sony KD-49XE9005 via my Hauppauge HDPVR (running either composite or S-video from the console to the Happauge, then the component out from the Happauge to the tv).
As you said "running either composite or S-video" this is how your HDPVR is connected.
But HAS outputs RGBs (red, green, blue, sync) at SCART levels intended for a SCART connector.

You need to address this issue, perhaps with something like a SCART to S-video converter (video quality will suffer)...
I highly recommend you look into proper RGB solutions like OSSC or xRGB Mini.

Last edited by a moderator:
jassin000 said:
As you said "running either composite or S-video" this is how your HDPVR is connected.
But HAS outputs RGBs (red, green, blue, sync) at SCART levels intended for a SCART connector.

You need to address this issue, perhaps with something like a SCART to S-video converter (video quality will suffer)...
I highly recommend you look into proper RGB solutions like OSSC or xRGB Mini.
Thanks very much for your response jassin000.

My eventual aim, as soon as I have the space for a dedicated games room, is to have a few of my old consoles (and a CPS 2) hooked up to my old CRT TV set. I don't know when this will come to fruition though so for now I just want to try and run things through the HD TV to save space.

Do you know how severe the impact to picture quality will be using a SCART to S-video convertor, will it be similar to running say my Dreamcast, Saturn or PSOne via S-video or will the effect be more severe?
Sorry if these questions are a bit silly, I'm just trying to learn a bit more before I take the plunge and invest in any one method. Thanks again for any help

@Locutus73 I suspect that it does, I couldn't confirm this for certain, but i haven't noticed it to a degree that has affected my enjoyment of any particular game. I've been playing a lot of Street Fighter Zero 3 lately, a game where you would think input lag would be an issue, but before recently I hadn't played it for quite some time so my frame of reference is probably a bit distorted.

I might do a little test this evening to see if I can notice the difference between hooking maybe my Saturn directly to my TV and then trying it via the Hauppauge.

Going of on a bit of a side story, I remember playing the original Sonic the Hedgehog on the Xbox One with my wireless controller and I was really struggling to beat one of the bosses (Labarynth Zone I think). I couldn't understand it because I used to beat that game regularly with no problems when I was like 6 years old. So anyway one time I must have had my controller wired up to charge it and I beat him first time, the lag from the wireless controller was sufficient enough that it was stopping me from beating the boss.

What I'm trying to say is that even though I haven't noticed any lag it's very possible that it is there, and I would probably need a situation like the one above to really notice it.

iv had issues with interference with my has. I replaced my psu after suggested my psu was old and causing the interference. Well it didnt help. Im thinking it might of be the cord that was suggested that has to be soldered. Maybe i did a bad job or its not shielded enough with my setup. Any other suggestions?

If you are using the Hauppauge HDPVR just as a pass through there isn't any lag or much lag. Once you start recording however the games will unplayable unless you are routing the game to a screen before the HDPVR.

Game console --in--> TV --out--> HDPVR ---> Computer

@8bitforlife - I fear this might be due to ground loops/home wiring issues. Try to connect PSU's signal ground (marked GND/COM) to frame ground (marked FG).

@8bitforlife - I fear this might be due to ground loops/home wiring issues. Try to connect PSU's signal ground (marked GND/COM) to frame ground (marked FG).
I might of figured it out finally but opens up more questions. If i disconnect my audio 3.5 cable from has the interference goes completely away but then i cannot use my speaker setup i specifically bought for supergun. Would what you suggest i do or does your suggestion fix this issue?

I might of figured it out finally but opens up more questions. If i disconnect my audio 3.5 cable from has the interference goes completely away but then i cannot use my speaker setup i specifically bought for supergun. Would what you suggest i do or does your suggestion fix this issue?
How are your speakers wired up? Need to know every device from the HAS to the speaker. You have a ground loop in them

is this common practice? I’ve never heard of it before. I have a similar interference issue with one of my superguns.

Anyone want to go into detail why there are 2 different ground connections for us newbies?

Do you know how severe the impact to picture quality will be using a SCART to S-video convertor
It's hard to say for sure, will probably be different from arcade PCB to PCB (with some worse than others).

I don't know when this will come to fruition though so for now I just want to try and run things through the HD TV to save space.
I totally agree and support this statement!
This is why you should abandon the HDPVR setup you have now and invest in a xRGB mini or OSSC. ;)

Both the xRGB mini and OSSC will accept SCART output directly from the HAS and spit-out a single HDMI you'll connect to your HD TV.

*Beware the "strange" syncs you'll get from an OSSC (its a line doubler not a sync rate changer) however...
Some HDTV's will only accept a perfect 60hz, to which you'll add a iScan DVDO VP30/50/50pro if that is the case (but just on the boards/consoles that require it, because yes it will also add lag). X/
xRGB mini is more of a P'nP solution for sure, but the quality against a finely tuned OSSC on a 4k its no comparison (the OSSC's 5x 1600x1200 4:4:4 color space mode wins).

Last edited by a moderator:
How are your speakers wired up? Need to know every device from the HAS to the speaker. You have a ground loop in them
well the 3.5 goes to a amp with a rca converter and that amp goes to speakers with speaker wire (one speaker is powered and has a connection for the other speaker the amo plugs into the powered speaker). I had that shity retroeltronik super gun same setup except was rca to rca and no problems. So im going ro try a new 3.5 cable thats shielded. Now if i hook my hdmi to my computer monitor which has 3.5 out i can use my speaker system with no interference but i dont usually use my has on my monitor because its mainly for my ps4. Would this help https://www.amazon.com/dp/B019393MV2/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_tdurBb9DDXCFE ?

Last edited:
@8bitforlife - definitely worth trying the ground loop isolator, it's inexpensive. Have you tried to join GND with FG on the PSU? If you do, make sure you don't touch the PSU cage and audio/video cable at the same time (when they're powered on).

@jassin000 thanks for your help, I was leaning towards the OSSC anyway and now it sounds more likely that it is the way for me to go.
Just to make sure it's clear, the OSSC is simply a "video converter" in layman's terms*, it doesn't play any games. So you'd still need some kind of supergun to play CPS2 games.

As an example, your chain of devices on the video side would be like:

CPS2 A+B → HAS Supergun → 8pin mini din/Scart Cable → OSSC →HDMI Cable → HD TV

* It's actually an upscaler/line doubler.

Back