Home Arcade System

    This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

    • coderkind wrote:

      Sorry for the n00b question, but am I right in thinking that if I wanted to only use a HAS with Sega Saturn controllers, I don't need to worry about kick harnesses?
      Yes, you do. The controller has nothing to do with it really. Jamma, as a standard, only transmits 3 buttons per player on the jamma edge (the thing that is connected to the HAS).



      So the HAS itself can only see those 3 buttons. plugging in a saturn controller will give you those buttons, but that's it. Certainly that's enough for a lot of games, but if you wanted to play any fighter, or anything with more than 3 buttons really, the extra buttons need to be connected from the motherboard to the HAS in the first place. That's what a kick harness will do for you. Sorry also to say that there's no 'standard' kick harness, but a lot of folks will use a CPS2 standard into the HAS, and get something like a JNX Raiden to convert from one format to the other.
      multis: cps* ttx1/2 gnet f3 mvs sega st-v/16b/24/c2/naomi(netboot) sys2x6 m72
      cabs: sega blast city x2 | taito vewlix c + egret ii
      links: klov/vaps games list | custom fight sticks
      projects: some conversions, some repairs
    • Kick harness connects the HAS to the arcade PCB, allowing for buttons 4,5,6 to forward to the DB15 port (aka a complete supergun controller pinout).

      Failure to do this will also fail to provide buttons 4,5,6 to the DB15-to-Saturn adapter.
      Darksoft: CPS3, CPS2, F3, MVS
      RGB: RECO v2, HAS v3
      invzim: Jammafier v1.6b
      XianXi: JNX Raiden, SC Taito Classic, SC Sega System 16/24
      Frank_fjs: JAMMA Extender (Special Edition)
    • jassin000 wrote:

      Kick harness connects the HAS to the arcade PCB, allowing for buttons 4,5,6 to forward to the DB15 port (aka a complete supergun controller pinout).

      Failure to do this will also fail to provide buttons 4,5,6 to the DB15-to-Saturn adapter.
      Not exactly, since the HAS can output up to 6 buttons via the JAMMA edge (it's designed so that there is no conflict with the 6th button, don't worry :)), because there are games that don't make use of the kick harnesses (Atomiswave, MVS, multi-game PCBs and so on).

      Just remember that you need a kick harness for the CPS1/2/3/ST-V and other systems that take buttons 4-6 via auxiliary connector instead of JAMMA, that's it.


      About the HD-15:

      opt2not wrote:

      Can’t you treat it as a direct connection to the OSSC without the need of SCART connectors?
      You can, that's how I have my HAS connected with the OSSC, so far all my games have worked just fine. Now with the LPF on the newest HAS you can't even tell if the video is connected via the Scart (for which the OSSC can apply the LPF), or the HD-15.


      Otaku Punk wrote:

      I've just jumped on the recently re-opened pre-order, very excited!

      I wondered if someone could clear something up for me. What would be the use case for the "8pin mini DIN to HD15 adapter PCB"? The description seems almost identical to the "HD15 adapter PCB" above it. Does it work in conjunction with this item? Looking at the pictures it looks like it converts the added VGA port back to a 8pin DIN, what would the advantage of this over the one on the base board? I've likely missed something very simple, apologies in advance!
      Different form factor, the same function - both adapters simply output RGBS via the HD-15 connector. The reason there are two adapters is that:
      1. The old HAS versions didn't use "modules", so the "8pin mini DIN to HD-15 PCB" is a workaround for owners of the old HAS.
      2. Some people already own an 8pin mini DIN to 8pin mini DIN cable, so instead of adding a "HD-15 adapter PCB" to the HAS and using a VGA cable, they can use their 8pin mini DIN cable with that small "8pin mini DIN to HD-15 adapter PCB".
      3. The "HD-15 adapter PCB" makes the HAS ~16.5mm taller, some people don't want that.


      Otaku Punk wrote:

      Also, does the HD15 adapter PCB fit underneath the plexiglass case of the HAS, or does this need to be removed to use it?
      All modules/adapters fit underneath the plexiglass case of the HAS, they are supplied with extra spacers and bolts.
    • RGB wrote:

      You can, that's how I have my HAS connected with the OSSC, so far all my games have worked just fine. Now with the LPF on the newest HAS you can't even tell if the video is connected via the Scart (for which the OSSC can apply the LPF), or the HD-15.
      I'm going to try this. I'm currently running it through SCART, but I have the HD-15 add-on that I picked up from you in my last order. I assume I can just run my OSSC with the LPF for the VGA connection? The OSSC's LPF isn't only for the SCART Connection, is it?
    • opt2not wrote:

      The OSSC's LPF isn't only for the SCART Connection, is it?
      It IS!
      That's what RGB is saying here...

      RGB wrote:

      Now with the LPF on the newest HAS you can't even tell if the video is connected via the Scart
      The newest version of the HAS has its own LPF, so you don't miss the fact the OSSC's only works via SCART input (again, yet another reason why this should be your goto port for 240p content IMO).
      Darksoft: CPS3, CPS2, F3, MVS
      RGB: RECO v2, HAS v3
      invzim: Jammafier v1.6b
      XianXi: JNX Raiden, SC Taito Classic, SC Sega System 16/24
      Frank_fjs: JAMMA Extender (Special Edition)
    • opt2not wrote:

      now I have to consider upgrading my HAS again!! I just upgraded from V2.1 to V3.2 this passed November
      All for that onboard low pass filter?
      Don't get me wrong, its great that HAS has continued to evolve like this... A great device getting even greater over time!

      I think you would be better off just getting that 8pin mini din to SCART adapter I linked and using the LPF of the OSSC itself tho.
      Darksoft: CPS3, CPS2, F3, MVS
      RGB: RECO v2, HAS v3
      invzim: Jammafier v1.6b
      XianXi: JNX Raiden, SC Taito Classic, SC Sega System 16/24
      Frank_fjs: JAMMA Extender (Special Edition)
    • jassin000 wrote:

      opt2not wrote:

      now I have to consider upgrading my HAS again!! I just upgraded from V2.1 to V3.2 this passed November
      All for that onboard low pass filter?Don't get me wrong, its great that HAS has continued to evolve like this... A great device getting even greater over time!

      I think you would be better off just getting that 8pin mini din to SCART adapter I linked and using the LPF of the OSSC itself tho.
      Yeah i know it doesn't sound worth it, but my ultimate goal over the course of how ever long it'll take, is to eliminate the need to support SCART altogether.

      I do currently have the 8pin Mini DIN to SCART adapter that RGB used to supply. It's very similar to the one you linked, but instead of the 3.5 mm mini stereo jacks, it has the Red and White RCA jacks.

      But eventually I want to be SCART-free.
    • opt2not wrote:

      But eventually I want to be SCART-free.
      I do hear ya brother... I tried to fight the power that is SCART myself with 8 pin mini din.
      Problem is the tide was just too strong, it wasn't that we were wrong.

      Devices like the Hydra and GSCART sealed our fade/doom/whatever.
      That being said, not much I've used as sweet as this 8 port auto switching SCART mega box called Hydra. ;)
      Darksoft: CPS3, CPS2, F3, MVS
      RGB: RECO v2, HAS v3
      invzim: Jammafier v1.6b
      XianXi: JNX Raiden, SC Taito Classic, SC Sega System 16/24
      Frank_fjs: JAMMA Extender (Special Edition)
    • RGB wrote:

      Just remember that you need a kick harness for the CPS1/2/3/ST-V and other systems that take buttons 4-6 via auxiliary connector instead of JAMMA, that's it.
      Ok; so I don't need a kick harness if I want to connect to a Neo Geo MVS board?

      Also, regarding the LPF on the latest HAS; can you disable it? My understanding is that you'd only really want it if hooking up to a modern, flatscreen? Otherwise it can soften an image (in theory).
    • coderkind wrote:

      Ok; so I don't need a kick harness if I want to connect to a Neo Geo MVS board?
      No, you don't. Additionally I advise to read the MVS instruction manual (as well as for other games you plan to use with the HAS). You'll see that it doesn't even have the connector for the "kicks".


      nam9 wrote:

      coderkind wrote:

      Also, regarding the LPF on the latest HAS; can you disable it? My understanding is that you'd only really want it if hooking up to a modern, flatscreen? Otherwise it can soften an image (in theory).
      I believe the changes to the LPF is the addition of an On/Off switch. Previous versions simply disabled the LPF altogether.
      Correct, there's a switch for the LPF.