What's new
Trying to get Mr. Driller 2 running, and while the board's getting power, I'm not getting any video or audio
I don't have a Driller 2, or a System10 board for that matter... But I do got a few System11's, and sure my Tekken 2 works just fine.
What are you using for a display?

ITrying to get Mr. Driller 2 running, and while the board's getting power, I'm not getting any video or audio
I don't have a Driller 2, or a System10 board for that matter... But I do got a few System11's, and sure my Tekken 2 works just fine.What are you using for a display?
It's going through an OSSC, to a Vizio P Series Quantum. The weird thing is that I'm not getting video or audio, despite that the audio is going directly from the HAS to my receiver.

Though, I think I might've found the problem. I might need an extended edge connector. At least, that's what the manual shows. Does that sound plausible?

It's going through an OSSC
So the OSSC has a "feature" where it will cut the audio if its not locking a sync signal.
I suspect your problem is settings on the OSSC itself, and incompatibility with your monitor.

Its not locking the sync, so its disabling your audio... So you think you've got nothing.
Run the audio to another external speaker (aka keep it away from the OSSC) and see if you can hear anything.
Hmm seems like you've already done this.
despite that the audio is going directly from the HAS to my receiver
I think you will, and if so then you can target video modes on the OSSC as the problem... And not the PCB.
You might need to dial back the scale to 2x, 3x (some monitors don't like 4x or 5x) you might also need to increase the sync thresholds.

I don't have a Visio, so I can't speak to how well they play with offbeat syncs.
This is most often the issue, the sync from the arcade PCB is too low (below 58hz) or too high (above 61hz) to lock.

But yes it sounds like you may have something else going on, I don't own a System 10 so I can't say for sure.
looking at the PCB...
k340848559.1.jpg

The board outputs stereo via that 4-pin connector just to the right of the JAMMA edge.
300px-System10-stereo.jpg

To get it outputting audio to the JAMMA edge (a place where HAS can pick it up) do you need to change a setting in a test menu or DIP switch?
What would happen if you took audio directly from the PCB like the above image shows and ran that to your receiver?

From the Arcade Otaku Wiki

The board is "smart" and senses if/where speakers are connected.
The English Mr.Driller 2 manual states that only right should be connected via header
On my Driller G, the only way to get stereo is to connect all 4 pins and ignore the JAMMA output.

Header J5 has stereo out:

PIN 1 Left +
PIN 2 Left -
PIN 3 Right +
PIN 4 Right -

The connector is NOT JST NH, and a JST NH connector will not fit.

Last edited by a moderator:
Howdy @RGB - I got my HAS tonight - all hooked up and works great so far! I need to order a DB15-RGBs bnc cable, but i hacked it all together for now and works well.

Not quite HAS related - but I tried to hook up my new meanwell RT-125A power supply at the same time to get everything dialed in, and the power supply just kept cycling - green light on the PS on and then off, and there is a slight noise as it cycles. It is set to 115V... any idea? i suppose something could be wrong from the factory - but seems unlikely.

Matt

The RT-125 needs to be under load to function. Did you hook it up with a game board connected or just the HAS? If the latter, throw a game in and that should provide enough load for it to work.

Reactions: RGB
I don't know what board you are hooking up but there have been talks in this thread and at Budget Arcade Power Supplies of meanwell PSU's requiring a minimum power draw otherwise they cycle making a whining noise. It was reported that neo geo 1 slot boards were having issues as they draw a lot less. Someone suggested to use a resistor (i can't recall what value and where to hook up) so you will have to search this thread and the other one that i linked to see if that resolves this issue.

Reactions: RGB
ITrying to get Mr. Driller 2 running, and while the board's getting power, I'm not getting any video or audio
It's going through an OSSC, to a Vizio P Series Quantum. The weird thing is that I'm not getting video or audio, despite that the audio is going directly from the HAS to my receiver.
Though, I think I might've found the problem. I might need an extended edge connector. At least, that's what the manual shows. Does that sound plausible?
What are your HAS and OSSC settings, what cables do you use, do you use OSSC's Scart or VGA port? What about other JAMMA games?

What are your HAS and OSSC settings, what cables do you use, do you use OSSC's Scart or VGA port? What about other JAMMA games?
I think the HAS 3.1 is just using the default settings, other than the controller mappings that I set. It's outputting via SCART to the OSSC, and I've tried plugging headphones into the 3.5mm jack on the HAS, but I'm still not getting any audio going that route, either. The OSSC is set to Line5x mode; haven't tried switching to line2x or anything a little more lenient. The weird thing is that there's no audio or video, though - I could understand the OSSC having video issues but still outputting sound... but nothing? Just kinda weird. The board was working fine before the seller sent it, and it was well-packed... so that, combined with the fact that the board is getting power has me pretty confused as to what's happening.

All other JAMMA boards I have work fine with these settings. Cave stuff, CPS-2 stuff, ZN-2 stuff, etc.

Last edited:
I could understand the OSSC having video issues but still outputting sound... but nothing? Just kinda weird.
No I told you thats how the OSSC works, no sync it will disable the audio.

What I told you to do is tap the PCB directly for audio (4 pin connector nearest the JAMMA connector) plug into that and see if you hear anything.
If you still got nothing then something is going on with the PCB itself... But we haven't reached that point yet because you haven't tested this.

Honestly I don't know why you wouldn't just do this anyway... JAMMA will only ever provide mono sound.
Wouldn't you rather play Driller 2 in stereo? ?(

I think the HAS 3.1 is just using the default settings, other than the controller mappings that I set. It's outputting via SCART to the OSSC, and I've tried plugging headphones into the 3.5mm jack on the HAS, but I'm still not getting any audio going that route, either. The OSSC is set to Line5x mode; haven't tried switching to line2x or anything a little more lenient. The weird thing is that there's no audio or video, though - I could understand the OSSC having video issues but still outputting sound... but nothing? Just kinda weird. The board was working fine before the seller sent it, and it was well-packed... so that, combined with the fact that the board is getting power has me pretty confused as to what's happening.
All other JAMMA boards I have work fine with these settings. Cave stuff, CPS-2 stuff, ZN-2 stuff, etc.
This really doesn't tell much, because the HAS settings could have changed during shipping or during case assembly, it's been almost two years?

When you say you don't get audio, have you also tried to plug in the headphones or speakers to the HAS' 3.5mm jack output? If not, please do it, wait a moment for the attract mode sounds (unless it's disabled, then add coins instead).

I used to own a Mr Driller 2 PCB and also know people who own it and it works just fine, however not sure if it's compatible with the OSSC (it should be, though - try changing H-PLL pre and post coast settings).

edit: The most important question that I should have asked earlier - does the OSSC lock the signal (the OSSC's LCD screen should display the refresh rate of the signal)? If it does, but you don't see anything on the screen, then it's a problem with your TV set.

Last edited:
If it does, but you don't see anything on the screen, then it's a problem with your TV set.
That's my theory, and I think he should draw sound from the 4-pin stereo connector not the HAS to prove the board works.
As I said above, even IF he had sound and video right now today... It would be mono sound coming from JAMMA edge/HAS.

He bothered sending the audio to a real receiver so what? He could blast mono audio from huge/pro reference speakers? :rolleyes:
MONO! :thumbdown:
Might as well hook it up via a sweet coaxial jack too, who needs RGBs.*snicker*

He bothered sending the audio to a real receiver so what? He could blast mono audio from huge/pro reference speakers? :rolleyes:
MONO! :thumbdown:
Might as well hook it up via a sweet coaxial jack too, who needs RGBs.*snicker*
Come on, this is troubleshooting, it doesn't matter if he's using mono or stereo at this point, it's just testing. He can use stereo all day long once the proper operation of the game is confirmed.

I stand by my statements, the best way to test the audio IMO is at that connector not the JAMMA edge.
This will also benefit him in the long run, because as you pointed after troubleshooting he is going to want it hooked up like that anyway.

This really doesn't tell much, because the HAS settings could have changed during shipping or during case assembly, it's been almost two years?
When you say you don't get audio, have you also tried to plug in the headphones or speakers to the HAS' 3.5mm jack output? If not, please do it, wait a moment for the attract mode sounds (unless it's disabled, then add coins instead).

I used to own a Mr Driller 2 PCB and also know people who own it and it works just fine, however not sure if it's compatible with the OSSC (it should be, though - try changing H-PLL pre and post coast settings).

edit: The most important question that I should have asked earlier - does the OSSC lock the signal (the OSSC's LCD screen should display the refresh rate of the signal)? If it does, but you don't see anything on the screen, then it's a problem with your TV set.
My Mr. D 2 and Mr. D G PCBs both work great with the HAS and an OSSC. Once I get dug out a bit, I'll post the settings if that helps and no one has done it yet.

I'll post the settings if that helps and no one has done it yet
I don't remember doing anything special for Tekken 2/System 11.
Maybe System 10 is different?

As @RGB said the LCD of the OSSC will display information if the sync has been locked.
aUyZaQb.jpg

This would help rule out display incompatibility at least.

Back