What's new
My HAS comes today, so I tested my MeanWell PSU yesterday. When there is no pull/stress on the PSU and I set the +5v to about 5.05V the 12v rail only gives 11,5v and -5 only gives -3,5v.

Is this normal when there is no "pull" on the PSU or is my MVP broken? I'm pretty new to this Arcade stuff, I know some console PSU:s give too much when not connected to consoles (Genesis for example), but this shows too litte...

To be clear, I don't have a HAS connected to the PSU, just used multimeter on the PSU itself.
This is normal. +12V and -5V are used by the audio amp, but its voltage tolarance is rather high, you'd easily get away with +11V even. Negative voltage -5V to -3V will be also enough from my experience, also remember that it's used mostly by very old PCBs (from the 80ies) and Midway PCBs.
Connect some game and then measure voltages again.

PS Your Genesis power supply is most likely linear and maybe even unregulated, that's why the voltage is higher with no load.
Thanks! Just wanted to make sure that it works as it should.

HAS came today and man it is awesome!

Did not have much time to play or even test all my boards, but quickly played some Castlevania and Dodonpachi (had to play it horizontal) and these look just stunning!

CV.jpeg

Castle.jpeg

them_lines.jpeg

dodonpachi.jpeg

My setup has OSSC (5x line doubler) on Philips 65" OLED

Thank you so much RGB, one happy camper here :thumbsup:

Nice setup @nassekova! My only complaint is minor/cosmetic... The name of that game is Haunted Castle, not Castlevania (your plexi needs adjustment/work).

The price is €122.00 and it includes the HASV4 supergun, PSU cable and acrylic glass case.

The US flyer sucks ass..
Haunted_Castle_flyer.jpg

But I must admit I like that font used for the title/think it looks just as good as CV.
images

Interestingly enough the game was never marketed at part of the Castlevania series, despite sharing the exact same name in Japan (ie Demon Castle Dracula).
Only in recent years/collections has Konami associated the two it a meaningful way, however they also attempt to connect Kid Dracula which by admission of the director Shiro Murata was never intended to be more than a parody of the CV series...

Think about the Parodius and Gradius relationship for a moment, its the same deal and no one tries to say Parodius is part of the Gradius series because it isn't!
So fuck you Konami! Now you see why I take such a issue with a simple logo/title, its NOT a Castlevania game and it NEVER WAS intended to be (logo belongs nowhere near that PCB).

Last edited by a moderator:
The US flyer sucks ass..
Haunted_Castle_flyer.jpg

But I must admit I like that font used for the title/think it looks just as good as CV.
images

Interestingly enough the game was never marketed at part of the Castlevania series, despite sharing the exact same name in Japan (ie Demon Castle Dracula).
Only in recent years/collections has Konami associated the two it a meaningful way, however they also attempt to connect Kid Dracula which by admission of the director Shiro Murata was never intended to be more than a parody of the CV series...

Think about the Parodius and Gradius relationship for a moment, its the same deal and no one tries to say Parodius is part of the Gradius series because it isn't!
So fuck you Konami! Now you see why I take such a issue with a simple logo/title, its NOT a Castlevania game and it NEVER WAS intended to be (logo belongs nowhere near that PCB).
Dude, it's clearly part of the Castlevania series! The Kid Dracula example you post is taken, but that's a parody series, where HC is pretty much Castlevania, I think the main protagonist is Simon Belmont...

I think the plexi cover is awesome!

I hope one day someone will be able to hack HC to make it easier and also maybe change the title screen to a CV themed one!

Anyway, that HAS set up looks great!

Dude, it's clearly part of the Castlevania series
It clearly SHOULD be part of the series, but fact of the matter is that it isn't (or it would have that title screen in the US release).
If you know your history Final Fight was clearly inspired by and originally intended to be Street Fighter '89...
But I wouldn't be caught dead with a case on my FF PCB displaying Street Fighter logos (because it isn't a Street Fighter game).

Setup is awesome, no denying that (and that is the most important part so kudos on that part).
Everyone knows I'm knit-picky... I won't even use the modern Taito logo on my Bubble Bobble board because at the time BB was made Taito was still using the classic logo.
Language matters, logos matter, historically accurate materials matter, I find it troubling when others don't adhere to this makes me question the dedication/commitment to the hobby.

Last edited by a moderator:
I hope one day someone will be able to hack HC to make it easier and also maybe change the title screen to a CV themed one!
I think it has some dip-switch settings to make it on easy mode. That would give you 8 lifes instead of the 3 and enemies won't hit you so hard etc. I might try that one later since this thing is brutal to play :D

I think it has some dip-switch settings to make it on easy mode. That would give you 8 lifes instead of the 3 and enemies won't hit you so hard etc. I might try that one later since this thing is brutal to play :D
Even on that setting it’s crazy hard. I watched a YouTube of someone 1CCing it and it’s nuts!

I’m weird though and actually like the game, most people hate it!

Plus one more thing I use Brooks retro board and has a DB15 out of it. When I connect it to HAS all the buttons are on "ON" state (tekken 3 players keeps on powering up which happens on pressing all 4 buttons). This stick works just fine on my consolized MVS board. However I have DB15 (no electronics) pad which works just fine on HAS so I am assuming this could be powering issue (powering the retro board) but again it works just fine on consolized MVS (weird aye ?)
Not necessarily a power issue (you can measure voltage). How exactly do you connect it, I thought this was a multi console joypad emulator thingy (which doesn't include the NeoGeo).Also, when you say "all buttons", do you also mean up, down, left, right?
Lastly, how did you measure the CSync amplitude?
Only the buttons (excluding Up,down, left right , coin and start button)I measured it but setting the voltmeter to V (connect the probs to ground and CSYNC line)
Do you have 5v connected from your DB15 to the retro board?
Just wanted to correct on this. I just realized that +5 was not connected and that was the issue. WIth +5V connect brooks retroboard works just fine with HAS 4. cheers

Reactions: RGB
I figured out how to get the Atomiswave and a Naomi to run in high resolution mode with proper stereo. It’s like playing a completely different game. lol

I uploaded videos of these:

I figured out how to get the Atomiswave and a Naomi to run in high resolution mode with proper stereo. It’s like playing a completely different game. lol

I uploaded videos of these:

Are you using the Capcom IO for this? Can you show a photo of your setup, as I want to do a Naomi 1 with only cartridges connected to the HAS next. I think if I run the Capcom IO right to my BVM I will only get 480i.

Naomi -> Capcom IO -> HAS -> BVM

I run that set up without issues. I can get 480p or 480i depending on the dip switch on the Naomi.

I do get a slight bending at the top (sync issue), but if I run through an extron device it cleans up that sync issue. Same thing happens with my Dreamcast through a Kuro.

Naomi -> Capcom IO -> HAS -> BVM

I run that set up without issues. I can get 480p or 480i depending on the dip switch on the Naomi.

I do get a slight bending at the top (sync issue), but if I run through an extron device it cleans up that sync issue. Same thing happens with my Dreamcast through a Kuro.
Thanks, that's great to hear. I'll have to look into the Naomi dipswitches. Unsure if you know @Stupid Dufus, but do you have your Capcom IO switch (right over top of the JAMMA edge inside) set to CSYNC vs H7V sync?

Unsure if you know @Stupid Dufus, but do you have your Capcom IO switch (right over top of the JAMMA edge inside) set to CSYNC vs H7V sync?
I knew I should've looked up a manual for it at some point. I never realized that switch was there.

Just checked, and mine has always been set to H/V. I can try the csync setting this weekend and report back. For reference, I have a BVM-D20F1.

Unsure if you know @Stupid Dufus, but do you have your Capcom IO switch (right over top of the JAMMA edge inside) set to CSYNC vs H7V sync?
I knew I should've looked up a manual for it at some point. I never realized that switch was there.
Just checked, and mine has always been set to H/V. I can try the csync setting this weekend and report back. For reference, I have a BVM-D20F1.
Very cool, happy to hear results. Hey maybe the switch will fix your sync issue! :P

Back