What's new
IMO don't use the PS2 cable if you are using a scaler like the OSSC, it adds too much complexity when none of that is necessary.
Rather use a 8pin mini-din to SCART cable, and if you want to get fancy send the audio separately with a 3.5mm cable.

I don't know what the "Pound PS1/PS2 HDMI cable" is... Let me ask you this... Can the cable convert a 15khz RGBs signal into a 45khz digital signal?
If not, then nope it won't work.

Ok so I just looked it up... At 30$ I highly doubt it will support RGB to the level that we would need.
I could be wrong of course, but I'd say don't count on it.

Good Lord! Look at how awful these screenshots look!
01_Atelier-Iris_Composite.jpg

Blurry stretchy trash!
Look at the double vision around the text...
04_Atelier-Iris_Composite.jpg

That's a nice scaler... For me to poop on!
original.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
IMO don't use the PS2 cable if you are using a scaler like the OSSC, it adds too much complexity when none of that is necessary.
Rather use a 8pin mini-din to SCART cable, and if you want to get fancy send the audio separately with a 3.5mm cable.
A Properly wired PS2 Scart cable is just a passthrough cable, just like the 8pin mini DIN to Scart cable, that's why I decided to offer the PS2 Scart cable adapter for HAS in the first place. PS1 Scart will work too, but the 330uF capacitors on the HAS would need to be bypassed (I made jumpers for this on the bottom of the HAS PCB).

@RGBwhat do you mean by passthrough ? all ps1/ps2 cables I've encoutered until now have capacitors on rgb lines

psx.png

The official PS2 Scart cable doesn't, and it mustn't since the capacitors are on the console end.

46344101952_e59b4ac0bc.jpg

The IC you see there is just a +5V to +12V booster to force 4:3 aspect ratio.

Last edited:
Hey RGB,

I'm having some issues getting sync with my HASv3, OSSC and CPS2 18-in-1. (The CPS2 and the HAS works fine via SCART, but when I bring the OSSC into the mix, things take a turn...)

My setup is as follows:

-CPS2 18-in-1 (the weird little daughterboard between the CPS2 and the HAS is part of the 18-in-1, for anyone curious.)
-HASv3 8-din to SCART adapter
-OSSC (with SCART input, DVI output)
-DVI-to-VGA cable to 31k Nanao MS-2932 (Sega Naomi high res only) monitor

I can't get sync to hold. See attached screens.

ZMZW7Ma.jpg

vigVnIt.png
XmoG5Tb.jpg

Last edited:
Hey, have you tried to connect it to some other display via DVI/HDMI? As you can see, the OSSC accepts the CPS2 signal just fine, so it might be the output settings/monitor compatibility thing.

DVI-to-VGA cable to 33k Nanao MS-2932 (Sega Naomi high res only) monitor
You're most likely not outputting the right frequency that your High-res only monitor can handle. My guess is the OSSC is still putting out a 15khz signal, while your monitor is expecting 31khz (it's not 33k).

Here's the manual for your monitor, there's some more info in there pertaining to what kind of signals it's expecting:
https://wiki.arcadeotaku.com/images/d/dc/Nanaoms2932.pdf

Hey, have you tried to connect it to some other display via DVI/HDMI? As you can see, the OSSC accepts the CPS2 signal just fine, so it might be the output settings/monitor compatibility thing.
So I am able to output a Saturn to the same monitor via the OSSC without issue, just not the CPS2.
DVI-to-VGA cable to 33k Nanao MS-2932 (Sega Naomi high res only) monitor
You're most likely not outputting the right frequency that your High-res only monitor can handle. My guess is the OSSC is still putting out a 15khz signal, while your monitor is expecting 31khz (it's not 33k).
Here's the manual for your monitor, there's some more info in there pertaining to what kind of signals it's expecting:
https://wiki.arcadeotaku.com/images/d/dc/Nanaoms2932.pdf
Good catch on the monitor frequency typo. As I mentioned above, I am able to successfully output a Saturn to the same monitor via SCART and the OSSC. The CPS2 is the only piece of hardware that is giving me issues with it. I have largely left the settings on the HAS untouched--is there anything I should try altering on it?

The HAS V3.0 that you've got allows for some tinkering with the sync, but it doesn't change the actual frequency. The OSSC just line doubles the signal, so if the monitor doesn't like the doubled CPS2 frequency, you might be out of luck :/

An upscaler with frame buffering might do the trick.

I was affraid that you may say this, and you very well could be right. I'll do a little more experimentation with it. Thanks @RGB

Reactions: RGB
The official PS2 Scart cable doesn't, and it mustn't since the capacitors are on the console end.

46344101952_e59b4ac0bc.jpg

The IC you see there is just a +5V to +12V booster to force 4:3 aspect ratio.
If I am not mistaken there is IC but also has 2 visible ceramic caps on the border of the pcb, and resistors, seems a bit confusing ton understand the schematic of this, is it yours ? Could be interesting to put an official schematic. The only one available on the internet right now is the one I posted, hence the standard today.

Last edited:
Guessing here,

Power cap for voltage IC

Voltage regulator for voltage IC

1 x 200R for 5V to 3V to push RGB mode

Not sure what else is going on.

I wish I owned original scart cables for game consoles. I swear most of the pinouts and components online aren't accurate.

Yes true, I discovered the mega drive cables differences... what a hell of a mess... european have different sync pinout, some have C connector, other V connector, some have entire rgb circuitry, some are secam compatible... all those cables are official but different revisions/regions. Same console though.

However most retrogamingcables.co.uk are pretty compatible with most devices and pretty good quality, it's just very hard to get the exact formula since schematics and data can vary even on original hardware.

Tell me about it.

I've got an RGB French MS2 with official cable, the one with the box, adapter RGB I think it's called. Lots of interesting stuff going on in there, voltage conversions, transistor based RGB amp etc. Great thing about it is that it works great with the Japanese Mark III as that also outputs an un-amplified RGB signal.

They also didn't follow the Sony CXA schematic correctly on earlier rev motherboards, same situation with Neo AES. I've seen 100uF, 220uF, 330uF and 470uF on the composite video line between various MS1s, MS2s, AES which all use the CXA1145.

I think capacitors work as signal cleaners, so I guess their value can vae some variation tolerance without side effects, being absent if needed should be a problem though.

Lot of things still need to be sought and better documented.

It would be very interesting to have a wiki of different hardware revisions of each console and their evolutions, for science, collecting and repairs.

DVI-to-VGA cable to 31k Nanao MS-2932 (Sega Naomi high res only) monitor
The DVI output of the OSSC supports digital only, ie you can't use a passive VGA adapter/cable it will not work.
The best scaler for this task is actually the Taito one (that's part of the JAMMA kit) as it only outputs 640x480 VGA (31khz).

Back