What's new
@jassin000 So i will assume you recommend that scart switcher for the price. Are there any issues you have run into with it? I am going to have to get one for myself.

None with the consoles pictured in my post (or the HAS its just not pictured, but the game PCB used and your display still matter).
Question on scart switchers for you guys
I use the Hydra SCART auto switcher with my OSSC+LG OLED B6 and it works great!You can kinda see it here behind the Genesis/SCD...
BLoqdZY.jpg
The switcher properly detects which SCART source is on and switches to it.
BTW IF you are looking to easly run the HAS with the Hydra I highly recommend this...
69m38SG.jpg

Send your audio and video separately, which greatly reduces noise/interference in my setup.
Not to mention IF the game PCB has RCA audio out, take audio directly from that and connect it hassle free.

Last edited by a moderator:
I seem to remember putting my name on the list a while back, anyway to check? Really don't wanna miss out on this batch!

None with the consoles pictured in my post (or the HAS its just not pictured, but the game PCB used and your display still matter).
Question on scart switchers for you guys
I use the Hydra SCART auto switcher with my OSSC+LG OLED B6 and it works great!You can kinda see it here behind the Genesis/SCD...
BLoqdZY.jpg
The switcher properly detects which SCART source is on and switches to it.
BTW IF you are looking to easly run the HAS with the Hydra I highly recommend this...
69m38SG.jpg

Send your audio and video separately, which greatly reduces noise/interference in my setup.
Not to mention IF the game PCB has RCA audio out, take audio directly from that and connect it hassle free.

Jassin,

Similarly, Genesis HD Retrovision cables have a stereo jack built into the cable to take stereo from the front of the model 1 genesis.

I know you’re not a fan of this set up for the HAS, but this is what I’m going to use.

My question is: for cps3 / HAS set up, should I run RCA from the PCB to the 3.5mm aux input on the cables, or run RCA directly to the TV and let the audio rca cables of the HD Retrovision cables just dangle?

Is there a difference at all? Is there a benefit one way or another? I assume introducing stereo into the cables, whether they be your pictured scart cable or my genesis cable, overrides the jamma mono. What do you recommend?

Attachments

• 0AD834B4-89A3-4EA4-A46B-A52D0ED3D7FA.jpeg
    0AD834B4-89A3-4EA4-A46B-A52D0ED3D7FA.jpeg
    16.2 KB · Views: 180
  • DA853338-8C9C-43FF-966C-8EA2AC437557.jpeg
    DA853338-8C9C-43FF-966C-8EA2AC437557.jpeg
    71.2 KB · Views: 220
@Wraith I don’t think that genesis cable is compatible with the HAS. HAS uses an 8 pin mini DIN

@Wraith I don’t think that genesis cable is compatible with the HAS. HAS uses an 8 pin mini DIN
I don’t want to deviate the discussion, but it will work with their ps1 adaptor and RGB’s PlayStation adaptor

Attachments

• 6F26FC50-FC70-4807-8179-3BAC1FEB2884.jpeg
    6F26FC50-FC70-4807-8179-3BAC1FEB2884.jpeg
    61.8 KB · Views: 197
@Wraith I don't know jack about the HD Retrovision cables so I can't really comment on anything around its use.
The only thing I'll confirm for you is IF you take the audio from the HAS you'll be getting mono because its source is the JAMMA edge.
However, IF you take the audio from the game PCB's RCA jacks you'll be getting stereo.

What the HD Retro cable dose with audio IDK (and I won't be finding out, I really suggest you abandon this silly quest to use this trash cable).

24f28e5fae4378536a792a761cf53339.png

Last edited by a moderator:
The only thing I'll confirm for you is IF you take the audio from the HAS you'll be getting mono because its source is the JAMMA edge.

If you take the audio from the game PCB's RCA jacks you'll be getting stereo, what the HD Retro cables dose with it after that IDK (and I won't be finding out, I really suggest you give up on this silly quest to use this trash cable).
He's going to use it with an adapter that's equipped with a stereo audio input jack (it cuts off the mono JAMMA audio), so he will get the stereo audio via the AV Multi Out of the adapter.

48059858687_fcac72534b.jpg

@Wraith I don't know jack about the HD Retrovision cables so I can't really comment on anything around its use.

What the HD Retro cable dose with audio IDK (and I won't be finding out, I really suggest you give up on this silly quest to use this trash cable).
just highlighting that you say you don’t know anything about these cables, but have an opinion that they are trash.
What is the basis of that stance?

From what I’ve read, people regard these in a good light.

We've been reading different reviews apperentally.
Most of the reviews I've watched on youtube has people say they're good. Just did a google search on "HD Retrovision Cables Review", and again, a majority of them are good. So I'm curious where you are reading your reviews from...

edit: Even Bob (RetroRGB) has them listed as "high quality".

https://www.retrorgb.com/snescsync.html

hey! Ok finally able to sit down with this...

I have the 8 pin to Db15 cable provided and the bnc breakout. What’s my best option to get this into an ossc? Or scart into my gscartsw?
It's not the LPF that makes a difference here, it's the sync level
Right, exactly why I told him to make sure both 75ohm and sync was raw (not buffered or regenerated).I suspect he had it set to regenerated, and the OSSC was dropping sync not frames.

Long story short the HD15 port is designed with VGA input in mind, the Taito F3 work around is only that... A work around.
This is NOT how you should be running the average 15khz arcade PCB.

That's why I haven't sold this extra HD15 hat I've got... Once someone pops up and says "I need one for my Taito F3" I'll offer it to them.

We've been reading different reviews apperentally.
Most of the reviews I've watched on youtube has people say they're good. Just did a google search on "HD Retrovision Cables Review", and again, a majority of them are good. So I'm curious where you are reading your reviews from...

edit: Even Bob (RetroRGB) has them listed as "high quality".

https://www.retrorgb.com/snescsync.html
HD Retrovision cables are HIGHLY respected. Whoever said they are trash are just ignorant of how much dev was put into those cables. I've used them many times in my own testing of consoles, and they have superb shielding & build quality. Even composer Yuzo Koshiro took time out to post a video on Twitter praising HD Retrovision cables after he received a set. He was not paid to do that either.

Now if we're talking cables from Pound, that's a different story...

Yet again @jassin000 talking after smoking a fat one. This is why I had to bring his opinion under a microscope.

We as a community need to make sure false information and extreme subjective opinions are regulated. Otherwise, people are going to have such confusion on what's good, or they'll have to resort to "top 10" lists on shill sites.

images

Thanks for chiming in FirebrandX!
Everyone knows your dedication and contribution for the finest of pixel displays, your opinion is highly RESPECTED as well.

I didn’t want to get into this again but whatever. I have my entire retro set up connected with HDRetrovision cables on a 32” Sony consumer Trinitron. I don’t use SCART at all because I am a CRT guy 100% and a stickler for input lag of any kind, and I don’t want to delve into the world of PVMs and BVMs just yet. They just aren’t big enough for me. I like a big big screen

Jassin (I think) believes that a scart to component transcoder is a better option.

Now, the “component” retro community has mixed feelings about the available scart to component transcoders and I don’t feel confident in them. Of course I know they basically do the same thing as the HD Retrovision cables, but the cables have been fully equipped with the appropriate components, shielding, and a resistor switch for brightness that the community demands.

This is why I want to use HD Retrovision cables with the HAS

Jassin, if I have misrepresented you in any way, please correct me. I’m only going off of what you said in previous threads.

This is a older image of mine, taken with my Sony 14L5 PVM (it did both component and RGBs so its a pure comparison of just what SCART to component adapters tend to do).
6W3AKRJ.jpg

Is this what the Retrovision cables do? Well I've never used one... But yea, if you think I'm wrong prove it with a professional display that supports both RGBs (SCART) and component.

Component color space is washed out next to RGBs, you'll also get tons of bloom which adds to this effect.

This is a older image of mine, taken with my Sony 14L5 PVM (it did both component and RGBs so its a pure comparison of just what SCART to component adapters tend to do).
6W3AKRJ.jpg

Is this what the Retrovision cables do? Well I've never used one... But yea, if you think I'm wrong prove it with a professional display that supports both RGBs (SCART) and component.

Component color space is washed out next to RGBs, you'll also get tons of bloom which adds to this effect.
The MyLifeInGaming crew have done a pretty stand up job showing that there is no visual difference between HD Retrovision cables and RGB Scart.

Also, I remember when you posted that image you were using a clone device. You might have better results with an actual Shinybow. RetroRGB has stated that those clones don't give the best results.

You might have better results with an actual Shinybow
Potentially, but I don't run SCART systems via component anymore.
These days if I'm doing anything with component its upscaling PS2/Gamecube/Xbox1 with the OSSC.

Back