What's new
I meant that using the HD-15 adapter is the easiest way to connect the HAS to a PVM/BVM, because it allows to use an off-the-shelf VGA->BNC cable.

I meant that using the HD-15 adapter is the easiest way to connect the HAS to a PVM/BVM
See its a slippery slope, give a man a "VGA" connector and he'll be hellbent on using it (because its farmular to him).
I shouldn't shoot down every use of this connector, as RGB said its very easy to get a VGA2BNC cable for BVM/PVM use.

What I'm constantly attacking is people using the "VGA" (AV3) connector of the OSSC... This is a work around for Taito F3, it IS NOT THE INTENDED USE OF THIS PORT!
240p content should be processed thru AV1 (SCART port) 75ohm sync raw/unprocessed, with the only exception being "when that won't work" (which in all of my testing, is only the F3).

If you decide to use AV3, you'll quickly find that you must output TTL sync, and you lose the ability to apply OSSCs onboard low pass filtering options.
8pin mini din to SCART cable is your best friend (or it should be if you are an OSSC user).

Last edited by a moderator:
What I'm constantly attacking is people using the "VGA" (AV3) connector of the OSSC... This is a work around for Taito F3, it IS NOT THE INTENDED USE OF THIS PORT!

240p content should be processed thru AV1 (SCART port) 75ohm sync raw/unprocessed, with the only exception being "when that won't work" (which in all of my testing, is only the F3).
And I'm constantly telling you you're a bit paranoid over this :D Like I said earlier, it's perfectly fine to use it with many PCBs (but not all), especially the most popular ones. You'd be surprised how many people use it exclusively, without resorting to Scart.

you lose the ability to apply OSSCs onboard low pass filtering options.
The HAS offers a LPF.

Last edited:
It's convenient having AV3 as another option though, and if one wanted to they could feasibly solely utilise AV3 to avoid having to swap cables over between games. Set the HAS to enable its own LPF, run audio separately via a 3.5mm audio cable and you have a nifty setup that caters to all games.

Reactions: RGB
I meant that using the HD-15 adapter is the easiest way to connect the HAS to a PVM/BVM
See its a slippery slope, give a man a "VGA" connector and he'll be hellbent on using it (because its farmular to him).I shouldn't shoot down every use of this connector, as RGB said its very easy to get a VGA2BNC cable for BVM/PVM use.

If you decide to use AV3, you'll quickly find that you must output TTL sync, and you lose the ability to apply OSSCs onboard low pass filtering options.
8pin mini din to SCART cable is your best friend (or it should be if you are an OSSC user).
Ok, I'am confused now.
The HD15 connector (that is the same that is commonly found in VGA cables) in the HAS output which signal? Is not the same signal that comes out from the onboard A/V port (RGBs)? I apologize in advance for my ignorance... ?(

You'd be surprised how many people use it exclusively, without resorting to Scart.
Not at all surprised actually... As I said once people see this connector they are hell bent on using it.
At first I even started to fall into this camp, I thought "hey if this works for F3 why not just run all my PCBs this way"
Answer is simple... Cuz you CAN'T! Yes many PCBs work, but many more do not. If you use the SCART port, only one won't work.

I'm of the belief that even SCART connectors should be dead today, we should be using 8pin mini din for 240p content PERIOD.
This is the standard we are starting to build, and we should encourage.
VGA ports, WTF NO! Yes I understand the port is called HD15, but you know why I'm improperly referring to it as only VGA?
Because like it or not that's what this port has come to represent in the minds of users the world over.

Ok, I'am confused now.The HD15 connector (that is the same that is commonly found in VGA cables) in the HAS output which signal? Is not the same signal that comes out from the onboard A/V port (RGBs)? I apologize in advance for my ignorance... ?(
It's the same signal that goes via the onboard AV port (8pin mini DIN), so RGBS.

Not at all surprised actually... As I said once people see this connector they are hell bent on using it.At first I even started to fall into this camp, I thought "hey if this works for F3 why not just run all my PCBs this way"
Answer is simple... Cuz you CAN'T! Yes many PCBs work, but many more do not. If you use the SCART port, only one won't work.
But this problem alrise only if you use OSSC. Not all users use a OSSC or a upscaler that outputs HDMI/DVI video signal.
Many people uses CRTs so in that case il will not be a problem if you use the 8pin mini DIN or the HD-15 connector.

Many people uses CRTs so in that case il will not be a problem if you use the 8pin mini DIN or the HD-15 connector.
Point taken, but if we look at the back of your CRT what are we going to find?
  • A HD15 connector? Unless its a tri-sync or other 31khz enabled monitor, No/unlikely.
  • A 8pin mini din? Nope, this connector has only recientlly emerged as the port of choice... popularized by etim (NES RGB kit), @RGB (stock HAS output port), xRGB mini Framemeister (video input port) and @citrus3000psi (PCEngine 3D printed RGB out panel).
  • A SCART connector? Not unless you are Euro (then I just feel bad for you anyway cuz 50Hz is some bullshit).
So what is actually at the back of most CRTs? BNC if its a PVM/BVM, Component if its new consumer TV and S Video if its older consumer TV.

This is what you sound like to me... I want to use a connector that NO CRT in the world actually uses.
Uh... Ok guy, you do you... I'm just gunna sit over here and roll my eyes so hard they fall the fuck out.

If I was going to design a "HAT" for our beloved HAS it would come in two flavors only.
  1. BNC (yes the connectors you actually want to use in the first place would be present on the board).
  2. SVideo with component RCAs (would include a YUV-NTSC encoder present on the board).
For everything else, OSSC, xRGB mini, etc you would use the stock 8pin mini din (with or without a 8pin to SCART cable).

So wait... If I'm saying NEVER use a VGA connector... How would F3 work? This is the officially recognized, firmware supported mod/solution for F3 and OSSC.
Notice how it still isn't using the VGA port (only the sync pins from it)? It's even been suggested if we get a 1.7 revision of the OSSC, this mod will be internal/traced onto the PCB itself with an enable/disable switch (as I mentioned the latest firmware 0.84 already supports it).

Ossc_av3_av1_sync.jpg

This is what you sound like to me... I want to use a connector that NO CRT in the world actually uses.
Uh... Ok guy, you do you... I'm just gunna sit over here and roll my eyes so hard they fall the fuck out.
VGA to 4 x BNC cables are very easy to find. 8 pin mini din to 4 x BNC cables? Not so much.

VGA to 4 x BNC cables are very easy to find. 8 pin mini din to 4 x BNC cables? Not so much.
If I was going to design a "HAT" for our beloved HAS it would come in two flavors only.

BNC (yes the connectors you actually want to use in the first place would be present on the board).
I'm suggesting it would be more efficient to simply get the connector you actually want.
You only want the VGA port so you can get a VGA-2-BNC cable, why not a BNC HAT?

Why does the VGA HAT exist if no one actually wants or needs VGA?
Also ITS NOT VGA! So it confuses people by its mere existence, its actually 15khz RGBs running thru a HD15 connector.
But ask anyone on the planet what this is...
SVGA_port.jpg

Then tell me what they say (you already know the answer, I'm trying to get you to realize that even tho the majority of the population is technically wrong, the fact that the majority of the population has agreed upon this has altered its perception and forever associated it with a signal, not just a connector).

Point taken, but if we look at the back of your CRT what are we going to find?
  • A HD15 connector? Unless its a tri-sync or other 31khz enabled monitor, No/unlikely.
  • A 8pin mini din? Nope, this connector has only recientlly emerged as the port of choice... popularized by etim (NES RGB kit), @RGB (stock HAS output port), xRGB mini Framemeister (video input port) and @citrus3000psi (PCEngine 3D printed RGB out panel).
  • A SCART connector? Not unless you are Euro (then I just feel bad for you anyway cuz 50Hz is some bullshit).
So what is actually at the back of most CRTs? BNC if its a PVM/BVM, Component if its new consumer TV and S Video if its older consumer TV.

1. BNC (yes the connectors you actually want to use in the first place would be present on the board).
  2. SVideo with component RCAs (would include a YUV-NTSC encoder present on the board).
For everything else, OSSC, xRGB mini, etc you would use the stock 8pin mini din (with or without a 8pin to SCART cable).
^^ Ehi! Don't be so touchy! In the world of audio / video there have always been, and always will be, infinite standards for both signals and connectors.
So your mission to impose a standard connector for analog video is pure utopia. This is especially true if you consider that the consumer analog video is gone, forever.

BNC (yes the connectors you actually want to use in the first place would be present on the board).
I'm suggesting it would be more efficient to simply get the connector you actually want.You only want the VGA port so you can get a VGA-2-BNC cable, why not a BNC HAT?
The VGA hat for the HAS exists today and is available for sale*. Your theoretical BNC hat doesn't exist and is not available for sale.

*It is available for sale at the same time the HAS is.

I'm suggesting it would be more efficient to simply get the connector you actually want.You only want the VGA port so you can get a VGA-2-BNC cable, why not a BNC HAT?
The VGA hat for the HAS exists today and is available for sale*. Your theoretical BNC hat doesn't exist and is not available for sale.
*It is available for sale at the same time the HAS is.
Also BNC connectors are huge, not very well suited to a hat design. HD-15 really is ideal if you're trying to connect to a monitor with BNC inputs.

HD-15 really is ideal if you're trying to connect to a monitor with BNC inputs.
If people viewed it as a HD15 port, then we wouldn't have any confusion.
The confusion comes from the fact that the majority of the population refers (incorrectly) to this as "VGA" (which is a 31khz signal not a connector) and that FACT is undeniable.

Should we go out and try to educate everyone as to the true nature of this?
Wouldn't work even if you tried, you grew up in USA correct?
Remember as kids when schools told us how much better the metric system was (that was true) and how we'd all be using it in 20 years?
Well its been like 30 years now, did we embrace it for the better system it was? Or did we reject it because public perception had already been formed/decided?

Aka if you think using a "VGA" port isn't going to cause confusion among users you are living in the same dream world as the United States which accepted the metric system.

How are the orders coming along? Interested to know a rough timeframe so I can have money ready for you :)

I think I filled out the pre-order form in July? I remember it saying roughly October some time but understand you're a bit backlogged

Super excited!

@jassin000, you know I like you, but this is going in the wrong direction. Why not start a thread about your frustration with the HD-15/VGA, this one's had enough of it to be honest.
It sure is going in the wrong direction. I mentioned the guys from HD Retrovision, and their component cables for my HAS and the guy dam near gave me a shotgun blast to the face.

8o 8o 8o

Back