What's new
Most games look fantastic, but a few, such at Truxton (shifted to the left, cutting off the bottom of the screen) and Trio the Punch (cuts off all the info on the bottom) cut off portions of the screen that have useable info. These are the only games I played tonight, but it's not a huge deal, just wondering if there is a way to adjust screen position with the HAS or resolution being fed into a TV via RGB (SCART cable) into an RGT to component box.
I use this device from Aliexpress to position games on my CRT that are shifted when using the HAS:

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32910155435.html

I've had it for awhile now and it works great. I have an older PVM which you need to adjust pots on the inside of the case instead of a OSD. This is plug and play and I can now played Volfied perfectly centered which displays seriously downshifted with my HAS. Plus it helps with little tweaks here and there depending on the game. Hope this helps!

There is anything to rotate the screen image without rotating the display? It would be extremely useful for those shmups that want a “portrait” display.

There is anything to rotate the screen image without rotating the display? It would be extremely useful for those shmups that want a “portrait” display.
It's been discussed, the problem is we would need to mat the image to then re crop it to proper ratio tated ratio.
This could be accomplished with a frame buffer, but that would add significant 16~32ms (about 12~24 frames) lag (the games would be unplayable afterwards).

A real time transform without a buffer far as I'm aware isn't possible.

It's been discussed, the problem is we would need to mat the image to then re crop it to proper ratio tated ratio.This could be accomplished with a frame buffer, but that would add significant 16~32ms (about 12~24 frames) lag (the games would be unplayable afterwards).

A real time transform without a buffer far as I'm aware isn't possible.
Actually, I think it could be down to only 1-2 frames of lag with certain current equipment. That being too much is up to the player. I'm hoping the next gen of OSSC or whatever might have this feature.

Most games look fantastic, but a few, such at Truxton (shifted to the left, cutting off the bottom of the screen) and Trio the Punch (cuts off all the info on the bottom) cut off portions of the screen that have useable info. These are the only games I played tonight, but it's not a huge deal, just wondering if there is a way to adjust screen position with the HAS or resolution being fed into a TV via RGB (SCART cable) into an RGT to component box.
I use this device from Aliexpress to position games on my CRT that are shifted when using the HAS:

I've had it for awhile now and it works great. I have an older PVM which you need to adjust pots on the inside of the case instead of a OSD. This is plug and play and I can now played Volfied perfectly centered which displays seriously downshifted with my HAS. Plus it helps with little tweaks here and there depending on the game. Hope this helps!
Thank you, perfect!

Hmm, now, could this feature get built into the next version(s) of the HAS.... ? :)

Actually, I think it could be down to only 1-2 frames of lag with certain current equipment.
Not possible, it takes 1~2 frames just to fill the buffer.
Then you have to process and output said buffer.

You might be able to get it down to about xRGB mini levels of lag, but that's 16ms (aka not good).

Actually, I think it could be down to only 1-2 frames of lag with certain current equipment.
Not possible, it takes 1~2 frames just to fill the buffer.Then you have to process and output said buffer.

You might be able to get it down to about xRGB mini levels of lag, but that's 16ms (aka not good).
How could it ever take more than one frame to fill the framebuffer? The framebuffer is filled every frame. It is right there in the name: framebuffer.

And you can ignore the time spent outputting the processed frame. Again each frame will take one frame to output. But there is no lag added with the output.

How could it ever take more than one frame to fill the framebuffer?
"A frame buffer may be designed with enough memory to store two frames worth of video data. In a technique known generally as double buffering or more specifically as page flipping, the framebuffer uses half of its memory to display the current frame. While that memory is being displayed, the other half of memory is filled with data for the next frame."

You need to be able to page flip out the frame to the processor, so you need the double (aka it takes 2 frames before the process/output is even taken into consideration).

"A frame buffer may be designed with enough memory to store two frames worth of video data. In a technique known generally as double buffering or more specifically as page flipping, the framebuffer uses half of its memory to display the current frame. While that memory is being displayed, the other half of memory is filled with data for the next frame."
You need to be able to page flip out the processed frames, so you need the double (aka it takes 2 frames before the output is even taken into consideration).
You are radically misunderstanding how double buffering works. The whole point of double buffering is that you can process the first frame while the second frame is filling it's own independent buffer.

The whole point of double buffering is that you can process the first frame while the second frame is filling it's own independent buffer.
This is my understanding of how the technique can be used for matting/re-cropping, it maybe (and is likely) flawed but unless you (or someone else) can explain it better I'm going to accept/keep on using this interpretation.

@Frank_fjs and @ChopstickSamurai - this device looks amazing! in my cabinet where i swap boards out I always have to monkey with the position, generally using the pots on the monitor... this devices looks awesome! Its as easy as it looks?

Matt

Not possible, it takes 1~2 frames just to fill the buffer.Then you have to process and output said buffer.

Why are you so sure of this? Here is a link to Fudoh's experiments a LONG time ago with some shitty equipment (by today's standards) where he rotate the image and added only 2 frames. If you follow up on his later experiments on the Shmups forums, you'll see that later as more expensive equipment got cheaper, he was able to maintain 1-2 frames at the most, with the best equipment he could find.

http://yokotate.hazard-city.de

Again, don't want to shit up the HAS thread, feel free to start a thread where we can discuss if you like and I'll go looking for Fudoh's more current threads and I'll also dig up some of the IMs he sent me.

You need to be able to page flip out the frame to the processor, so you need the double (aka it takes 2 frames before the process/output is even taken into consideration).
I agree with you Jassin but that is a sensitive topic to visual purists.

Its the reason people are using an OSSC and not a "Scaler"

I still use it {XRGB Mini} as it handles HDMI input and scales 240-720p such as the Neo Geo X.

The HDMI to DAC on AV3 route has not been as nice.

Well tbh, @jassin000 was right from the beginning. His conversion rate is just way off. He did say "that would add significant 16~32ms (about 12~24 frames) lag."

16.67ms= 1 Frame

16~32ms = approximately 1-2 Frames of lag(not 12~24f)

So in actuality, you all are agreeing with eachother =D

Can anyone point me to a reputable dealer in North America (either a web shop or Ebay link) for a certified Power Supply for the HAS? I purchased what was supposed to be a Meanwell PSU on Ebay and found out I got sent something completely different than advertised :(

Can anyone point me to a reputable dealer in North America (either a web shop or Ebay link) for a certified Power Supply for the HAS? I purchased what was supposed to be a Meanwell PSU on Ebay and found out I got sent something completely different than advertised :(
digikey.com

Back