What's new
Given it's capabilities and price point, I'd say that RetroTink is a fantastic product.
Fantastic product for working with low quality outputs... :whistling:

I'm sorry but anyone (I don't care who or for what reason) using composite/s-video today should just purchase a mini console.
Stop trying to pretend original hardware thru a trash lens is some how better than near cycle perfect emulation.

They both suck to someone like me, and you are splitting hairs at that point between which is worse and not whats better.
OG hardware, pure 15khz RGBs out, no exceptions no excuses (aka go big or go home emulation).

Given it's capabilities and price point, I'd say that RetroTink is a fantastic product.
I'm sorry but anyone (I don't care who or for what reason) using composite/s-video today should just purchase a mini console.
Stop trying to pretend original hardware thru a trash lens is some how better than near cycle perfect emulation.

They both suck to someone like me, and you are splitting hairs at that point between which is worse and not whats better.
OG hardware, pure 15khz RGBs out, no exceptions no excuses (aka go big or go home emulation).
I don't disagree at all, I use RGB for almost all my stuff. My main reason for asking is I'm not sure the OSSC will be compatible with the monitor, and was wondering about the alternatives. I've got a big shelf of jamma pcb's I love playing that I'd love to be able to get in the cab.

@jassin000

I was hoping you could elaborate on the OSSC Compatibility on the different viewlix models since you have a bunch of them.

And I'm curious which ones your fave?

@darhgo

Ill hook you up for $60 for a 2x plus shipping new in box.

I bought one for my 3DO and later had it RGB modded.

Hey, I've got (and absolutely love) RGBs for all of my consoles. That being said, I completely disagree with this kind of thought. This reads like a copypasta.

RGB rocks :)

Got a PVM (20M2MDU) and I'll never go back :D
got one too, it's amazing. i've been trying to find a blast city coming into the East Coast for a couple years, and keep missing them. I really want a cab, and i fell in love with these form factors while I was in Japan for work last summer. It's not a crt, but it's still awesome.

RGB rocks :)

Got a PVM (20M2MDU) and I'll never go back :D
got one too, it's amazing. i've been trying to find a blast city coming into the East Coast for a couple years, and keep missing them. I really want a cab, and i fell in love with these form factors while I was in Japan for work last summer. It's not a crt, but it's still awesome.
Wait? Whut?

I have a 20" PVM in my setup. it rocks.

My initial query was regarding using a supergun in a vewlix cab, which I will be taking delivery of in about a month.

I have a 20" PVM in my setup. it rocks.

My initial query was regarding using a supergun in a vewlix cab, which I will be taking delivery of in about a month.
Ah cool, I just read the Blast City bit and then ‘not a CRT’...
Sorry for the confusion :thumbup:

Whats with all the dislikes @RayceARoni?

Jassin explained his reasoning very well and I completely agree with him.

I dislike the dislikes.

You can have an argument with someone without a bunch of thumbs down.

Why would you want an inferior Chroma resolution and go from RGB to YPbPr back to RGB? His advice was helpful and firm.
You're right, thumbs down is harsh. I'll remove them. I apologize.

Like I said, I only use RGBs and don't plan on using anything else personally. I still completely disagree with the idea that using anything other than RGB is pointless and one might ass well just use emulation or mini consoles.

I dislike the dislikes.

Why would you want an inferior Chroma resolution and go from RGB to YPbPr back to RGB? His advice was helpful and firm.
You're right, thumbs down is harsh. I'll remove them. I apologize.
Like I said, I only use RGBs and don't plan on using anything else personally. I still completely disagree with the idea that using anything other than RGB is pointless and one might ass well just use emulation or mini consoles.
Yeah, people should just game how they like. I personally use to think RGB all the way, but lately I've changed on that. First of all, some games were made for the blurring affect composite provides. Also, on a 36" Sony Wega CRT TV, at room distance, composite is not only fine, it looks pretty good. And it's easy to play light gun games.

Why gate-keep anyone's enjoyment of retro gaming? RGB is not the end all be all of signal quality, as aren't people who demand CRTs or worse, PVM gatekeepers!

Enjoy it how you want, and I promise, pop in your favorite games and 20 minutes in, you won't even notice if it's RF! if you're having a good time.

I dislike the dislikes.

You're right, thumbs down is harsh. I'll remove them. I apologize.Like I said, I only use RGBs and don't plan on using anything else personally. I still completely disagree with the idea that using anything other than RGB is pointless and one might ass well just use emulation or mini consoles.
Yeah, people should just game how they like. I personally use to think RGB all the way, but lately I've changed on that. First of all, some games were made for the blurring affect composite provides. Also, on a 36" Sony Wega CRT TV, at room distance, composite is not only fine, it looks pretty good. And it's easy to play light gun games.
Why gate-keep anyone's enjoyment of retro gaming? RGB is not the end all be all of signal quality, as aren't people who demand CRTs or worse, PVM gatekeepers!

Enjoy it how you want, and I promise, pop in your favorite games and 20 minutes in, you won't even notice if it's RF! if you're having a good time.
You said it far better than I ever could (and how I should've in the first place)! I just want to say thank you for being you, keep up the good work!

I dislike the dislikes.

You're right, thumbs down is harsh. I'll remove them. I apologize.Like I said, I only use RGBs and don't plan on using anything else personally. I still completely disagree with the idea that using anything other than RGB is pointless and one might ass well just use emulation or mini consoles.
Yeah, people should just game how they like. I personally use to think RGB all the way, but lately I've changed on that. First of all, some games were made for the blurring affect composite provides. Also, on a 36" Sony Wega CRT TV, at room distance, composite is not only fine, it looks pretty good. And it's easy to play light gun games.Why gate-keep anyone's enjoyment of retro gaming? RGB is not the end all be all of signal quality, as aren't people who demand CRTs or worse, PVM gatekeepers!

You said it far better than I ever could (and how I should've in the first place)! I just want to say thank you for being you, keep up the good work!
No problem dude, welcome to A-P, don't let a few of our curmudgeons as we like to call them scare you off. He's a great guy and very helpful on topics he knows about. I can't count the number of times @jassin000 has chimed in to help a newbie answer a question about OSSC, HAS, and Mortal Kombat that he's answered like 600 other times. He's good people, but yes, a bit set in his binary ways.

That being said, the is the HAS thread, bottom line, let me help anyone who's wondering if they should buy one. YES, GOD YES.

Also, if you can't wait, wait anyway. If you CAN'T wait. I understand, stay on A-P and look at the other 3-4 very cool Super Guns here, they are all very top quality!

@jassin000

I was hoping you could elaborate on the OSSC Compatibility on the different viewlix models since you have a bunch of them.

And I'm curious which ones your fave?
Oh, in that case...
Its not about the OSSC, its the arcade PCB you are using.

Take my Vewlix Diamond for example, the IPS Alpha LCD in it will accept syncs ranging from about 58.0Hz ~ 61.0Hz.
8ZpqTr6.jpg

That covers a good amount of original arcade PCBs, but not all!
Also The Diamond refuses to accept a scale higher than 3x (4x and 5x don't display anything despite the screen being able to handle 1920x1080).

It is for this reason I've ripped the original IPS LCD out and am in the process of replacing it with a LG 32GK650F-B 32" 16:9 QHD LCD Gaming Monitor.
YeAWcvq.jpg

Why is this a better choice?
  • UHD supports OSSC's full 5x @ 1600x1200 (1920x1080 is cropped at 5x)
  • Freesync accepts all syncs I've tested (including MK/Midway PCBs which are notorious for not working with anything @ 54.88Hz sync)
Midway PCBs are very "wacky" when it comes to sync, not even a Sony Wega CRT will sync one (image just rolls).
wcqFYRq.jpg

Only waiting on the custom mounting bracket from @Hadouken Arcade now...
TZ70cvq.jpg

My Capcom VLX is 100% Taito stock parts, I'll never modify it beyond factory spec/parts (living with the limitations of the Taito JAMMA kit on this one).
The L-AMI is somewhere in-between the totally hacked up Diamond and the 100% stock Capcom. :)

CAP=JAMMA only via Taito JAMMA Kit (only mainstream PCBs supported aka CPS1/2/3/MVS/F3)
DIA=JAMMA and JVS via Taito JVS IO+Jammaifier+OSSC+Jassifier+LG monitor (supported everything I've ever tested/own)
AMI=JVS only via Taito JVS IO (I've got a Naomi and a Namco 2x6, both work great with this)

Last edited by a moderator:
If you're just gaming for yourself/friends/family, use whatever video output you prefer. Some people can be quick to draw lines in the sand, but at the end of the day, any kind of stance about what's better for you is all subjective.

BUT, if you're streaming and capturing your gaming sessions with the intent to having viewers watching, then RGB (or at bare minimum - Component) is the best way to go. If you're not going with the best quality video for your viewers, you're pretty much forcing them to watch lower quality video output. Which, in my subjective opinion, suuuuucks.

I mean, really it's about the monitor you're using
Right and IF that monitor will play nicely with whatever sync the arcade PCB is pushing out.
The stock Taito monitors don't really... Prob the best one is the IPS Alpha, or the one found inside the latest Diamond Black's (I don't personally own one).

I found them to be really picky in general, also strange in that they will accept interlaced signals like a TV (where as PC monitors only want progressives).
As I mentioned I'll never change out parts on the Capcom, that is my official baby.
The L-AMI is next on the chopping block to have its original monitor ripped out (after I get this Diamond finished).

BTW (I'll mention it a few other places too) if anyone wants these original stock Taito LCDs PM me and you can pick them up 100% for free.
This is only for the internal panels and PCBs, I need to keep the outer shells for the replacements.
Perfect for the guy who got a deal on a VLX with a smashed LCD, new/direct from Taito one of these screens is 1400$ (mine are used/working/free).

Last edited by a moderator:
Back