What's new
S-video/composite in 2020?! *rolls eyes* plz GTFO... :rolleyes:
Hey! Watch it! S-video is just fine! :) $20 RGB > S-Video converter from Ali-2month-xpress works just fine on my HAS > Sony CRT!
Is it interlaced or can you get a progressive image?

S-video is an oddity to me ever since I got the Japan 3DO which supported 240p over S-video.

I have put in almost all my gaming time for the last month playing Gameboy on a black and white RF TV hooked up to a framemeister.

Most fun I've had in months. I'm at Wily in MM5, beat Metroid 2 again, and got through a good amount of Final Fantasy Adventure. I even got to play Pokemon Red with my 5 year old son.

Sidetracking done. HAS rules

I have put in almost all my gaming time for the last month playing Gameboy on a black and white RF TV hooked up to a framemeister.
This is still on my to-do list. It looks stupid amounts of fun.

My local thrift store's had a black and white TV sitting there for well over a year. Once businesses open back up I'm going to snag it.

S-video/composite in 2020?! *rolls eyes* plz GTFO... :rolleyes:
Hey! Watch it! S-video is just fine! :) $20 RGB > S-Video converter from Ali-2month-xpress works just fine on my HAS > Sony CRT!
Is it interlaced or can you get a progressive image?
S-video is an oddity to me ever since I got the Japan 3DO which supported 240p over S-video.

Most fun I've had in months. I'm at Wily in MM5, beat Metroid 2 again, and got through a good amount of Final Fantasy Adventure. I even got to play Pokemon Red with my 5 year old son.

Sidetracking done. HAS rules
It's only interlaced and there is no horizontal adjustment, I'm joking, I want the OSSC Pro, hah. :)

I NEED that OSSC Pro man!
Its going to be so so SO HOT. 8o

I even hear rumors it could support Mister like FPGA simulation directly?
WOW, that is going to be huge if true!

I NEED that OSSC Pro man!
Its going to be so so SO HOT. 8o

I even hear rumors it could support Mister like FPGA simulation directly?
WOW, that is going to be huge if true!
Hahaha, you definitely don't need it for the MiSTer but you're funny.

Jokes aside, Marqs made this which is awesome but the ISL51002 itself is ~$52 so might not be worth it..

you definitely don't need it for the MiSTer
NEED no... But I'm the kind of guy who would never purchase a Mister.
That being said I might still like to casually play around with one (as I do indulge in emulation from time to time).

If my OSSC supported FPGA simulation, I'd have no reason not to give it a try.
Seems possible, we are going to need some power FPGA onboard to pull off some of the real time effects planned (screen rotation in software).

you definitely don't need it for the MiSTer
NEED no... But I'm the kind of guy who would never purchase a Mister.That being said I might still like to casually play around with one (as I do indulge in emulation from time to time).

If my OSSC supported FPGA simulation, I'd have no reason not to give it a try.
Seems possible, we are going to need some power FPGA onboard to pull off some of the real time effects planned (screen rotation in software).
Understood good sir. It's great for playing the old consoles, for the price I think you would actually enjoy it.

I like S-video/ composite for my arcade pcbs also! I guess it's just that old school vibe it gives me . I have an ossc but I prefer my games looking just like they did back in the day. Just my preference. :)

I prefer my games looking just like they did back in the day
News Radio (1998)
Bill: "It's like my father used to say, when I was a child I thought as a ... as a child, but when I became a man I took that child out back and had him shot."
newsradio-phil-hartman.jpg

I prefer my games looking just like they did back in the day
News Radio (1998)Bill: "It's like my father used to say, when I was a child I thought as a ... as a child, but when I became a man I took that child out back and had him shot."
newsradio-phil-hartman.jpg
I’m still not over it.

1+1 = -Fun

He’s the Cobain of comedy and what a tragedy..

@jassin000

I was hoping you could elaborate on the OSSC Compatibility on the different viewlix models since you have a bunch of them.

And I'm curious which ones your fave?
Oh, in that case...Its not about the OSSC, its the arcade PCB you are using.

Take my Vewlix Diamond for example, the IPS Alpha LCD in it will accept syncs ranging from about 58.0Hz ~ 61.0Hz.
8ZpqTr6.jpg

That covers a good amount of original arcade PCBs, but not all!
Also The Diamond refuses to accept a scale higher than 3x (4x and 5x don't display anything despite the screen being able to handle 1920x1080).

It is for this reason I've ripped the original IPS LCD out and am in the process of replacing it with a LG 32GK650F-B 32" 16:9 QHD LCD Gaming Monitor.
YeAWcvq.jpg

Why is this a better choice?
  • UHD supports OSSC's full 5x @ 1600x1200 (1920x1080 is cropped at 5x)
  • Freesync accepts all syncs I've tested (including MK/Midway PCBs which are notorious for not working with anything @ 54.88Hz sync)
Midway PCBs are very "wacky" when it comes to sync, not even a Sony Wega CRT will sync one (image just rolls).
wcqFYRq.jpg

Only waiting on the custom mounting bracket from @Hadouken Arcade now...
TZ70cvq.jpg

My Capcom VLX is 100% Taito stock parts, I'll never modify it beyond factory spec/parts (living with the limitations of the Taito JAMMA kit on this one).
The L-AMI is somewhere in-between the totally hacked up Diamond and the 100% stock Capcom. :)

CAP=JAMMA only via Taito JAMMA Kit (only mainstream PCBs supported aka CPS1/2/3/MVS/F3)
DIA=JAMMA and JVS via Taito JVS IO+Jammaifier+OSSC+Jassifier+LG monitor (supported everything I've ever tested/own)
AMI=JVS only via Taito JVS IO (I've got a Naomi and a Namco 2x6, both work great with this)
amazing info. have you found any solution for the screen tearing/stutter on Data East PCBs via the OSSC? Is that just monitor dependent? It's 54.91hz on my display (Captain America and the Avengers, Robocop, Sly Spy, Karnov, etc.)

More than a little off topic here, but Cobain was a suicide and Hartman was murdered by his wife.

So yea, they both left us too soon...
However one was a junkie that couldn't handle the pressures of life/fame/drugs and one was shot dead in his own home by someone he loved.
have you found any solution for the screen tearing/stutter on Data East PCBs via the OSSC? Is that just monitor dependent?
Monitor dependent.
A nice freesync gaming display will solve any low refresh tearing.

You can't see the motion in a still picture, but the character faces that scroll on the sides of the insert coin screen...
yrYM0lE.jpg

With the iScan DVDO+IPS Alpha this movement was very jerky/jumpy, on the LG here its smooth as silk.

Last edited by a moderator:
More than a little off topic here, but Cobain was a suicide and Hartman was murdered by his wife.
So yea, they both left us too soon...
However one was a junkie that couldn't handle the pressures of life/fame/drugs and one was shot dead in his own home by someone he loved.
have you found any solution for the screen tearing/stutter on Data East PCBs via the OSSC? Is that just monitor dependent?
Monitor dependent.A nice freesync gaming display will solve any low refresh tearing.

You can't see the motion in a still picture, but the character faces that scroll on the sides of the insert coin screen...
yrYM0lE.jpg

With the iScan DVDO+IPS Alpha this movement was very jerky/jumpy, on the LG here its smooth as silk.
We are way off topic for sure.

Kurt Cobain was murdered. Cobains Dad publicly stated it. The forensic pathologist says that suicide was an “impossible scenario”

The only difference was Love had Hollywood money to afford a good lawyer.

Back on topic. I would like to use the HAS on my brothers CRT that has component inputs. What’s the best way to do that?

It would be nice if I can adapt off the HAS and not have bring multiple plugs and an OSSC

Kurt Cobain was murdered. ... The forensic pathologist says that suicide was an “impossible scenario”
A forensic pathologist, not THE forensic pathologist. The forensic pathologist who actually got to examine the body, and wasn't just espousing a viewpoint 25 years after the event happened, ruled it a suicide.

Off topic but, we all know Courtney had Kurt murdered. Wasnt he going to divorce her crazy hippie ass?

I'll make sure to get a freesync the next time I'm looking for a display.
Don't forget QHD, the OSSC at its highest 5x supports 1600x1200.
This of course will also work on a UHD/4K but its over kill if this is all you want supported.

If all you have is a HD/1920x1080/1080p 5x mode is cropped and looks like shit (better to use 4x in that case).
we all know Courtney had Kurt murdered
Really? I mean wasn't he rumored to have written more than half of her "Live Through This" album?
I can't see why she should want him dead, he was the only thing propping up her talent-less ass.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back