What's new
while we are in this, what's the play for connecting brooks boards to multiple systems? is that just something that needs a manual cable swap?
If you have a Switch involved, it definitely requires manually moving cables around as you have to hold down LK when inserting to put it into "Switch mode".
Whether a KVM or something similar would work for PC/PS4/XOne, not quite sure.
Interesting, ok! I have a KVM switch so I can try that when it arrives.

has anyone compared the retrotink 2x to the ossc for playing PCBs? I ask because I've got a vewlix en route and want to eventually be able to play my jamma boards in there too, via a supergun and scaler. I know the ossc will be "better" but I haven't been able to find any direct comparisons. I have an ossc for my console setup to test and see if it's even compatible with the monitor in the cab, but figured i'd ask here!
What you want is the Irken Labs Retro Scaler A1. There is a thread here on it as well. Fantastic results and much cleaner than OSSC in terms of stable pixels.

What you want is the Irken Labs Retro Scaler A1. There is a thread here on it as well. Fantastic results and much cleaner than OSSC in terms of stable pixels.
Cool! My monitor only takes DVI/HDMI, but I’ll look into it!

That ^ is why I say the A1 is for 31khz (aka VGA) CRT monitors.
IF you have a flat screen (LCD/OLED) you want digital (DVI/HDMI) and 720p~QHD support.

A1 only outputs 640x480 analog VGA, in 2020?!

Just need a VGA to DVI adapter/Cable then if you go the A1 scaler route.
Beware, most new monitors do not support analogue VGA signals over DVI so you should verify that first.
Thanks. I own and OSSC, FM and I've got a Tink 2x on the way, and I'm going to try them all out with my supergun, and if ordering a second ossc is the best option, that's what I'll do.

Managed to pick up a HAS, as I had a lot of trouble with an ebay seller providing a faulty Minigun Supergun. Working great, looking good, but I'm having an issue with at the moment just one board, but I've not tested every board I own.

I've tested an original cps1 Final Fight, a NeoGeo MV1FZ with a couple games, and bootleg Street Fighter 2 World Warrior and Bomberman Land (Bomber Lord) and they all work great. Although I have to turn the volume pots a little higher than I'd like, there's no volume adjustment on the HAS right? Unless I've just missed it.

But I can't get a signal to my OSSC from my bootleg Dynablaster (Bomberman) with the HAS. Does anybody know what might bee the first thing to check? I just get a black screen with the OSSC not detecting a signal. It's not a big deal, but I'm wondering if there's an easy thing I could try to fix it.

Board works fine in my Sega New Net City cabinet so, I think it's fine.

Cheers :)

Last edited:
I think I heard some where (probably was in @SmokeMonster video) that some bootlegs require higher 5v to work. Since they are bootlegs and the quality varies so hard to tell. But you might want to test set 5v bit higher (of course at your own risk).

Managed to pick up a HAS, as I had a lot of trouble with an ebay seller providing a faulty Minigun Supergun. Working great, looking good, but I'm having an issue with at the moment just one board, but I've not tested every board I own.

I've tested an original cps1 Final Fight, a NeoGeo MV1FZ with a couple games, and bootleg Street Fighter 2 World Warrior and Bomberman Land (Bomber Lord) and they all work great. Although I have to turn the volume pots a little higher than I'd like, there's no volume adjustment on the HAS right? Unless I've just missed it.

But I can't get a signal to my OSSC from my bootleg Dynablaster (Bomberman) with the HAS. Does anybody know what might bee the first thing to check? I just get a black screen with the OSSC not detecting a signal. It's not a big deal, but I'm wondering if there's an easy thing I could try to fix it.

Board works fine in my Sega New Net City cabinet so, I think it's fine.

Cheers :)
The pot was removed as a safety measure in case people run both the arcade game and the HAS on max audio volume.

As for the bootleg game, try unprocessed sync mode and TTL level (don't worry about overvoltage, there's a 470R inline resistor even in the TTL level setting).

I think I heard some where (probably was in @SmokeMonster video) that some bootlegs require higher 5v to work. Since they are bootlegs and the quality varies so hard to tell. But you might want to test set 5v bit higher (of course at your own risk).
I never said anything like that, but thanks for thinking of me ;)

Weird, I just posted about a board I needed ID'd, and people said it was a bootleg SF2. It was, but it would not boot, so I thought it was broken, but I gave it 5.2v and voila! Now I have a working bootleg SF2.

Are you guys measuring the voltage from the JAMMA edge or from the source?
Only thing I have to test with is my tongue, so it's JAMMA edge for me, but soon I hope to buy a nice meter so I can stop burins my taste buds.

Thanks, I'll give it a shot nudging it slightly higher than 5v.
Use a multimeter if you’re going to try this. First the chips need 5v but the measurement on the HAS is at the jamma edge. There may be small drop-off from there, which is why someone would suggest increasing voltage. And we’re talking like 5.08v showing at the jamma edge, to show 5.00v on a chip.

Find a chip on the pcb, look up the pinout, and measure the voltage on that. If it’s under 5v you can tick it up until it’s 5v.

Also those voltmeters have an adjustment knob on them often. It’s a tiny screw, probably on the back, if it has one. Use a multimeter and calibrate it.

91230297-7d8e-4166-92f3-20cb19d8e4ad.JPG

Sorry, I remembered that your Double Dragon was a bootleg and some how connected those dots in my mind from this video

But yeah, someone / somewhere definitely hinted me that those bootlegs usually need more juice, can't remember who. Clad that it helped xtrasmileys SF2 :D

Back