What's new
I'll update the info when they're back in stock. People also use those for their PVMs (via a VGA->BNC cable).

People also use those for their PVMs (via a VGA->BNC cable).
Oh right, thanks RGB. Yea I thought people were using SCART to BNC adapters on PVM/BVM, but VGA to BNC makes more sense as this is a more common cable. :)

For what it's worth since I now have a cabinet that will be capable of JAMMA & JVS I'm probably selling my HAS in the near future.

Excited to get on the list to buy the latest revision!

Hello everyone. Just joined the crazy roll-coaster of Consolisized arcade boards. Recently got a MVS and now need a super gun and looks like HAS is one of the best. Can someone please let me know whats the process of placing an order, and if I am not wrong looks like orders are closed. Does anyone know when the orders will open ? thanks

Hello everyone. Just joined the crazy roll-coaster of Consolisized arcade boards. Recently got a MVS and now need a super gun and looks like HAS is one of the best. Can someone please let me know whats the process of placing an order, and if I am not wrong looks like orders are closed. Does anyone know when the orders will open ? thanks
@msamiullah Hello there ! IMO the better way is to PM to the owner of this theard and he will tell you more ! Cheers !

@msamiullah Hello there ! IMO the better way is to PM to the owner of this theard and he will tell you more ! Cheers !
Awesome. thanks

welcome to the addiction. Your wallet will likely suffer.

welcome to the addiction. Your wallet will likely suffer.
hahaha, true :D

Question for you. I have the OSSC and plan on using these settings to hook up the F3 board I have, but I would also like to leave all the settings alone for CPS1/CPS2/Sega 16 (and maybe other boards). Can I use these buffered settings or do I have to change everything back for the other boards? Will leaving these settings on damage anything (boards or OSSC) to test?
OSSC settings won't damage anything. In short, your HAS V3.1 setup will look like this:
  • Taito F3 > HAS (CSync set to buffered, TTL) > 8pin mini DIN > 8MD to HD15 > OSSC (HD15 input, OSSC set to "RGBS")
  • CPS1/2/3 and majority of other boards > HAS (CSync set to buffered, 75R) > 8pin mini DIN to Scart cable > OSSC (Scart input)
As for the PSU, you can get a Mean Well MWP-606 in the US and I highly recommend it - http://www.twistedquarter.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=4
I'm also interested in a CPS2 kick harness, a CPS kick harness, and the HD15 adapter PCB.
I've noticed a trend emerging in this thread, and I wanted to get on my soapbox to provide what I feel is an important public service announcement.So here it is...

If you have no intention of using a Taito F3 with a HAS+OSSC, DO NOT GET THE HD15 adapter!

The HD15 adapter should be viewed as a work around for the F3 system ONLY!
Yes some PCBs have no problems using either (8pin mini din to Euro SCART or HD15) but the majority of boards I've tested simply do NOT work via HD15 PERIOD.
The SCART connector is the most compatible, and should be the primary mode of connection... The exception is the F3, not the rule.
IMG_0005.jpg
IMG_0007.jpg
IMG_0009.jpg

See below for my test information.

Attachments

• IMG_0006.jpg
    IMG_0006.jpg
    647.6 KB · Views: 261
  • IMG_0008.jpg
    IMG_0008.jpg
    584.8 KB · Views: 273
Last edited:
edit:RGB has confirmed that HAS (V3/V3.1 and fixed V2/V2.1) set to TTL is OK for the FrameMeister and OSSC so I have deleted the original contents to avoid spreading misinformation :D

Last edited:
Actually it is safe to connect HAS (V3/V3.1 and fixed V2/V2.1) set to TTL. The CMOS CSync signal goes through in series 470R resistor and along with the 75R to GND on the FM/OSSC Scart side forms a voltage divider, so the signal will have ~0.688V amplitude. OSSC VGA port doesn't terminate the CSync (it goes directly to 74LVC2G17 for buffering), but it's a +5.5V tolerant input.

Actually it is safe to connect HAS (V3/V3.1 and fixed V2/V2.1) set to TTL. The CMOS CSync signal goes through in series 470R resistor and along with the 75R to GND on the FM/OSSC Scart side forms a voltage divider, so the signal will have ~0.688V amplitude. OSSC VGA port doesn't terminate the CSync (it goes directly to 74LVC2G17 for buffering), but it's a +5.5V tolerant input.
Thanks rtw, I don't have a Framemeister, so I can't speak to that, but the only reason I left the TTL on with my OSSC is that RGB said it was safe! That's pretty much all I have to go on! So far, so good!

Set Atomiswave hi-rez dip switch to on, get 480p passthrough, looks much better but aspect ration is off, cannot correct.
Set the Atomiswave to VGA/31hz, and set the OSSC to allow 2x scale on 480p, then set the output aspect ratio to 4:3.
Remember if you are using "passthrough" the OSSC cannot control the aspect, but your TV can (because thats whats actually processing the image) change from 16:9 to 4:3 on your TVs menu.

Set Atomiswave hi-rez dip switch to on, get 480p passthrough, looks much better but aspect ration is off, cannot correct.
Set the Atomiswave to VGA/31hz, and set the OSSC to allow 2x scale on 480p, then set the output aspect ratio to 4:3.Remember if you are using "passthrough" the OSSC cannot control the aspect, but your TV can (because thats whats actually processing the image) change from 16:9 to 4:3 on your TVs menu.
Thanks, but at 2x, I get a black screen.

Thanks, but at 2x, I get a black screen.
Try it from a fresh "reset" I think some of the pre/post coast settings could be a problem?
I don't have an Atomiswave, but this is how I do it for Naomi/Dreamcast (should be the same, how is H and V sync handled on Atomis when in 31khz mode? are you bypassing the HAS and connecting the Atomis VGA port directly to the OSSC?).

Last edited by a moderator:
2 September 2018 HAS testing update, in the future I'll update this post vice making a new one:

At this time I have not needed to purchase a SCART cable to use with the OSSC at all. Please try my settings before spending an extra $20-25 on something you my not need. A small caveat is that you will not have a LPF in this scenario, resulting in very light image distortion most visible on solid backgrounds. See my note below about this. I will retest when I get my SCART cable.

I am using HAS 3.1, OSSC 1.6 FW .81, 8pin min DIN cable with the 8pin mini DIN to HD15 adapter PCB connect to the OSSC, with 3.5 audio cable for sound.

IMG_0467.jpg
HAS 3.1 right side showing 8pin min DIN cable connection and 3.5mm audio cable. These two cables plug into the OSSC (see below). Note that on the HAS I have the jumper (JP2) 75 Ohm/TLL pulled off (meaning it is in TTL mode) and the Switch 1 (SW1) set to (B) Buffered for CSync.

IMG_0468.jpg
OSSC 1.6 version. Left side when looking from top. HDMI cable out and 3.5mm audio cable into OSSC port "A3 IN" from the HAS.

IMG_0469.jpg
OSSC 1.6 version. Right side when looking from top. 8pin mini DIN to HD15 adapter PCB connect to the OSSC "V3 IN" port. 8pin min DIN cable plugged into it from the HAS. Lower cable is the OSSC power.

On OSSC the default setting for Pre/Post Coast is 1. You may have to set to something higher such as 4 to get a good sync for some games. I was able to get a sync on some games at 1 but I have read that others needed a 4 for the same game, so it could be odd tolerances between boards. Finally you must be in mode AV3: RGBS (the first/default mode is AV3: RGBHV).

Atomiswave : Dolphin Blue, Metal Slug 6 =

HAS=TTL, OSSC=Pre/Post Coast on 1, but had to mess with it initially by setting to 4. Now seems to work starting in 1. Set Atomiswave hi-rez dip switch to off, get 480i passthrough, looks like shit, and you must correct the aspect ratio in your TV settings.

HAS=TTL, OSSC=Pre/Post Coast on 1, but had to mess with it initially by setting to 4. Now seems to work starting in 1. Set Atomiswave hi-rez dip switch to on, get 480p passthrough, looks much better but you must correct the aspect ratio in your TV settings.

Capcom CPS2 : Dungeons & Dragons Tower of Doom (Phoenix ROMs) =

HAS=TTL, OSSC=Pre/Post Coast on 1, 3x mode looks best as it doesn't cut off top or bottom but is 720p and 5x mode is 1080p, however the top and bottom are cut off.

Irem M72 : Dragon Breed =

HAS=TTL, OSSC=Pre/Post Coast 1, 3x mode looks best as it doesn't cut off top or bottom but is 720p and 5x mode is 1080p, however the top and bottom are cut off. Also, bottom layer of this games screen is cut off (score, lives, time layer) at the default settings. To see it you have to adjust the settings under Advance Timing Tweaker. I set Vertical Sync Length to 6, Vertical Backporch Length to 30, and Vertical Active Length to 240. This allows you to see the full bottom line information and graphics, however the top is now cut off a bit. You could cut back on my settings to see the numbers, giving up a little bit of the graphics but gaining back the top line. Your call how you rock this.

Irem M92 : Major Title 2, Ninja Baseball Bat Man =

HAS=TTL, OSSC=Pre/Post Coast on 1, 3x mode looks best as it doesn't cut off top or bottom but is 720p and 5x mode is 1080p, however the top and bottom are cut off.

PGM : Demon Front, Espagaluda, The Gladiator, Oriental Legend, Photo Y2K, Photo Y2K 2 =

Taito F3 : Elevator Action Returns =

HAS=TTL, OSSC=Pre/Post Coast on 4, 3x mode looks best as it doesn't cut off top or bottom but is 720p and 5x mode is 1080p, however the top and bottom are cut off.

Sega STV : Radiant Silvergun =

HAS=TTL, OSSC=Pre/Post Coast on 4, 3x mode looks best as it doesn't cut off top or bottom but is 720p and 5x mode is 1080p, however the top and bottom are cut off.

Sega System 16 : Altered Beast, ESWAT, Golden Axe, Shinobi =

Not having a SCART cable makes it so you can play all PCBs with one cable, and avoid having to change the TTL to 75R, which is hard because the jumper is under the plexi, but there is one issue, see below.

*****Low Pass Filter. The HAS uses a THS7316, which doesn't have a LPF (at the frequency we are using for Arcade Boards), but that is normally good because the OSSC has a built in LPF. What you never want is, more than one LPF, or no LPF, so we should be set right? Yes, except the OSSC VGA input that we are using via the 8pin mini DIN to HD15 adapter doesn't have a LPF, so in essence, our feeds in this set up do NOT have a LPF at all, resulting in a picture that isn't as good as it could be. This is likely the reason I have some of the distortion I listed earlier below. Once I get my SCART cable, I'll post my results.******

The ONLY thing I think I noticed, and it's difficult to spot because you need a solid back ground and there is no way to pause arcade games, is that the images seem to have slight distortion in the solid back grounds. You can Google why LPF are important in old arcade/console image clarity to see some examples. It's not terrible, but I'll post more results when I get my SCART cable.

Anyway, a big thanks to RGB for the HAS, Jassin for his testing before hand that let me jump right into playing, and to James at JNX, who is always helping me get shit working!

Last edited:
I was having some issues with video noise, so I made a new 8-pin mini-din to SCART cable (connecting the HAS to the OSSC)...
Only I didn't connect any audio pins (only Red, Green, Blue, Sync and one ground pin #18) in the SCART hood.

32sDNvJ.png

For Audio I ran a 3.5mm to RCA cable directly from the HAS to my iScan DVDO (reintegration into a single HDMI cable, as this setup uses the 1.5 OSSC without digital audio).
I also made sure I had solid continuity (multimeter) between the outside of the mini-din to the outside of the SCART (aka fully shielded) but without bridging to the ground/pin #18 (not sure if this matters because ground might be bridged internally?).

The resulting image was stunning/sharp AF!
Using the LPF and reverse LPF filter (which I believe was originally designed for SNES noise issues?) my Midway boards have never looked so good. :thumbup:

Last edited by a moderator:
Back