What's new

werejag

Grand Master
Reaction score
im buildinga very custom control panel. but i need a some assistance, 1 what kind of metal do they come made from. 2. how does one cut the square mounting holes for trackball and the panel mounting holes.

I believe they're made out of steel.

as for making holes the best tool is arguably a knockout-punch:
qmasq1_use2.jpg

@codecrank is the best person to ask about this though

Knockout-punch is the way to go, up to a certain size as they can get pricey the larger they are.

For a large square one for a trackball, you might have to go to a machine shop so they can cut it out for you or someone that has laser/plasma cnc cutter can probably do it.

It can be cut by hand and put in all labor, but you will have to do a rough cut and then file away by hand to smooth out the cutout, etc...

But yeah, if you are only doing one panel, you are better off paying someone else do it if you dont want to invest in the tools/time/labor, it will be a lot cheaper/faster in the end.

If I were doing a large square cutout on a budget I'd rough cut it with a Dremel then clean up with a nibbler tool (it's a hand broach that costs about $10, really popular with people doing PC window mods back in the day, I still use mine on occasion for making holes for USB ports and the like).

Honestly if I were doing a metal panel with a Trackball I'd be using a Sega track ball since it just requires a circular hole and is fairly compact. I'd be skeptical if a big Happ unit or even an SNK unit like Irritating Maze would fit in a normal candy panel housing.

If I were doing a large square cutout on a budget I'd rough cut it with a Dremel then clean up with a nibbler tool (it's a hand broach that costs about $10, really popular with people doing PC window mods back in the day, I still use mine on occasion for making holes for USB ports and the like).

Honestly if I were doing a metal panel with a Trackball I'd be using a Sega track ball since it just requires a circular hole and is fairly compact. I'd be skeptical if a big Happ unit or even an SNK unit like Irritating Maze would fit in a normal candy panel housing.

Sadly it's getting hard to find the Sega trackball cause people are putting it together with the sonic pcb. I've been looking for some virtua golf trackballs and have come empty as of late.

i dont think i need to cut out the large square for the track ball just 4 carriage bolt holes and the center circle. im rolling usb interface with a trackball and 7-12 buttons for a very rare game i got ages ago.

what is the thickness of these control panels

I'd be skeptical if a big Happ unit or even an SNK unit like Irritating Maze would fit in a normal candy panel housing.
Yeah, HAPP trackballs won't fit in Sega candy cabs.

Sadly it's getting hard to find the Sega trackball cause people are putting it together with the sonic pcb. I've been looking for some virtua golf trackballs and have come empty as of late.
You can find them all the time on Yahoo Japan. Here's one, but it's 3X what they usually go for:

https://page.auctions.yahoo.co.jp/jp/auction/m200588403

I'd be skeptical if a big Happ unit or even an SNK unit like Irritating Maze would fit in a normal candy panel housing.
Yeah, HAPP trackballs won't fit in Sega candy cabs.

You can find them all the time on Yahoo Japan. Here's one, but it's 3X what they usually go for:

https://page.auctions.yahoo.co.jp/jp/auction/m200588403
Yea I won't pay that much just to play centipede and millipede 8|

typically you need 16GA steel
square hole ? carriage bolt holes ? those are pretty small for hand punches... you'll probably just want to drill 4-5mm holes and use a jewel's file to turn them into squares.

the nicer way to install it is to use self clinch studs or standoffs, depending on the make of trackballs you are using , as seen below.

33829825903_053f1fbdf6_c.jpg

as other have already pointed out, only the sega trackballs will fit in a sega cabinet panel enclose. so I'l assuming you want to use those. you have 2 option:

1 the proper one - self clinch standoffs
34509187011_85011219cd_c.jpg

or option 2, the soldier of forturne method - epoxied standoffs

8385663790_141fd528ed_c.jpg

Panda is right, I'm siting on a pile of sega trackballs I slowly hoarded to make sonic panels :D

im building a quake arcade tournament edition panel which uses a 3inch happs trackball
you don't need to use a happ trackball.

any trackball should be compatible with any game. it's just two offset encoder wheels per axis, you will need to use whatever decoder PCB the game might need through. so for instance you could use a Happ trackball on a NAOMI, but you'd still need to use the Sega Trackball I/O

though depending on the number of "teeth" on the encoder wheel it will make the trackball speed faster or slower... I don't know about quake but a lot of trackball games have adjustments for speed.

im aware of how it trackball work. im coding the hid to usb myself. found a nice guide for a old trackball which had no real brains to usb teensy. i first want to get a real world feel of how this game functioned in real arcade thou only 20 existed. if i make more one for a future cab ill go with a smaller trackball. as for the i/o its solved thru a sevice menu. as the original i/o was more of a predecessor to what mame pcs use today.

this will be standalone panel made of a metal panel and a fight stick box.

Arcade FPS controls have always interested me. they vary so much

WAR:FA - buttons and analog flight stick
The GRID: analog flight stick and trackball
Quake: buttons and trackball
Outrigger - 8-way flight stick and a trackball
HL2 & CyberDiver - custom analog puck controller, custom flight stick and foot pedals
Left 4 Dead - a Wii nunchuck and a mouse
Border Break - weird custom fixed "flight stick" and weird custom mouse thing.

Then of course there's the mysterious Doom II machine :P
1088370675.jpg

I'd be interested to see how your quake project comes out. that game has always intrigued me. :thumbsup:

Do you have one of the original PCs or some other way to run it? last I had heard the security wasn't cracked in MAME yet.

i have a new version of it without rainbow dongle hassles. i got it in a trade a few years ago. its just files

Arcade FPS controls have always interested me. they vary so much

WAR:FA - buttons and analog flight stick
The GRID: analog flight stick and trackball
Quake: buttons and trackball
Outrigger - 8-way flight stick and a trackball
HL2 & CyberDiver - custom analog puck controller, custom flight stick and foot pedals
Left 4 Dead - a Wii nunchuck and a mouse
Border Break - weird custom fixed "flight stick" and weird custom mouse thing.

Then of course there's the mysterious Doom II machine :P
1088370675.jpg

I'd be interested to see how your quake project comes out. that game has always intrigued me. :thumbsup:

Do you have one of the original PCs or some other way to run it? last I had heard the security wasn't cracked in MAME yet.
Its funny you mention this ...

https://offerup.com/item/detail/128207820/?ref=Search&event_source=77386c34026d4744a2f17e83fa8c3e5e

I saw that and was like .. what the heck...

I can't make out what button does what...

but. I can make out the QUATUM3D logo :D :D :D if any of you guys were in to FPSs at that time, yall might remember dreaming about this beast

Quantum 3D Obsidian X-24 - DUAL VOODOO2 12MB / SLI , single PCI CARD ! 1024x768 glide
8o 8o 8o 8o

Quantum3D+Obsidian2+X24+PCI+24MB+384Bit+EDO+Rev_D+9822+top.jpg

Back