What's new

plasia

Grand Master
Reaction score
Finding information on 246/256 is hard! Especially as I am very pressed for time atm.

Does the NIC come with the 246/256 as standard or is it some sort of accessory? I've always had a dream of playing GSD RvZ2 4p, because the PS2 port only lets you have 2 players. I've seen an opportunity to start on this journey :) If it's some sort of accessory is it hard to find?

What other networking equipment do I need? Just a standard switch? I ready about a hub but that sounds mega weird.

Also I read it works with pretty much any IO, I hope it at least works with the capcom IO (what I have now). And that it would also work with @'winteriscoming''s IO board in the future (I'll grab a set on my way to the 4p dream).

Hoping some of the fine folks here can help me out :)

I've only ever had Gundam in 2P, but yeah, a regular switch should work just fine. The network interface comes as standard.

Does the NIC come with the 246/256 as standard or is it some sort of accessory
it's an add on board. it's pretty easy to find and relatively inexpensive.

I think I paid $10 shipped for mine on eBay.

on a 256 the port is just to the left of the CD drive, so if you don't see it there, then your board is missing it.

Also I read it works with pretty much any IO, I hope it at least works with the capcom IO
I haven't tried it personally but I've heard that the Capcom I/O is fully compatible with all the button&stick games. I have tried Sega Type 1 I/O and had no problems with it.

I would suspect that using the official JAMMA (non JVS) I/O would offer the best experience though as the inputs are routed directly to the game board instead of filtered through the JVS serial bus. (0 lag vs very low lag). these are super Cheap boards too.. they run like $20-$30. If you're using a Capcom I/O you're already using JAMMA so there's no reason not to use the official JAMMA I/O

system_256_jamma_io.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: nem
it's an add on board. it's pretty easy to find and relatively inexpensive.
I think I paid $10 shipped for mine on eBay.

on a 256 the port is just to the left of the CD drive, so if you don't see it there, then your board is missing it.
I've never seen a 256 without one, but yeah, I guess since it's removable, there's bound to be ones without them.

I can confirm you can just use a regular unmanaged switch(hub). I had setup GvG Next for a party, but just 1v1. 2v2 would be pretty awesome with 4 screens/cabs, but I lack the hardware for that myself. I was also using Sega JVS Type 1s since they were already in use and had no problems. Haven't tried the official IOs but now I am curious if I can tell the difference in lag.

Thanks @nismopunch, so I can just use my normal switch and no special stuff (getting a hub is kinda sketchy) :)

I run a 4p Next...if you had more questions. All the above sounds correct. There are some 256's sold without the NIC...prolly pulled while in Japan. Next and 256's are super cheap on YAJ...G-front is dumping a lot of them. You can get a complete four player setup shipped for under $400 (shipping and proxy is half the cost).
acen_next.jpg

You can link 16 units up BUT only 4 ppl can play a match together. Think of it as a lobby where you await matching up with others.

Thanks, is there an up to date YAJ buyers guide somewhere? I found Buyee but I'm not having too much luck searching on there.

Ok my deal to get a 246 with GSD happened.

I found info for dipswitches for setting the video up, I've got a capcom IO ready to go.

How do I power this thing, is it the same connector as what I've got going into my HAS? It's a different pinout though.

@twistedsymphony where can I get those IOs? They look like they come with a power cable that'll make things very easy. Although how does it connect? I don't see where that ribbon goes on a 246. (I am getting a 246C)

Last edited:
where can I get those IOs? They look like they come with a power cable that'll make things very easy. Although how does it connect? I don't see where that ribbon goes on a 246.
the usual places... eBay, forum marketplaces etc. @defor might have one

The ribbon cable plugs into the side:

hqdefault.jpg

No wonder I couldn't see where, all of the pics I have are from the front :) Let me know defor :)

I'll check my stock this weekend- I have a LOT of things to catch up on, but keep bugging me if needed.

I don't really see how I could get a 4p setup for under $400... :(

This is a long term project for me, I will nab one here and there until I get to 4. I don't have my cabs or room for them yet :(

I'm very concerned about the DVD drive though, would really like a non-optical solution.

Also, @defor

I run a 4p Next...if you had more questions. All the above sounds correct. There are some 256's sold without the NIC...prolly pulled while in Japan. Next and 256's are super cheap on YAJ...G-front is dumping a lot of them. You can get a complete four player setup shipped for under $400 (shipping and proxy is half the cost).
acen_next.jpg

You can link 16 units up BUT only 4 ppl can play a match together. Think of it as a lobby where you await matching up with others.
Nice to see some love for Cyber Lead cabs :)

I had not noticed this thread, but I just started messing with linking my 256's. I got Z Gundam DX on 2 cabs going after a small headache (didn't have a switch/hub laying around, had to use a router. I had to change the routers own IP to not interfere with the games network traffic).

Pretty sweet to just hook up lan and go. The menu settings took some trial and error though. Definitely not any worse than doing optical on NAOMI's.

20170610_193640.jpg

Error screen if you screw up

20170610_200616.jpg

Settings that ended up working ^^

20170610_200828_HDR.jpg

Victoly ^^

I don't really see how I could get a 4p setup for under $400... :(
I'm very concerned about the DVD drive though, would really like a non-optical solution.
I use From Japan as a proxy. There are multi listings for 256's and Gundam Next...I only said $400 because recently I bought a pair of 256 and Gundam Games, and with slow boat shipping to US from JP, it was just shy of $200. Of course I run JVS, so no need for any JAMMA I/O's.

Gundam Next is a HDD game, so no worry about disc. As for DVD drives, I've been lucky and have lot's of spare PC DVD drives I've used...sure, some do not work, prolly some minor incompatible with FW but I just try another.

I have a pair of Gundam Next with the I/O boards. Not sure yet what I'm planning to do with them, but color me interested in this thread!

Since the last update on this project, I have obtained a full set of 2x6 for Gundam. I've been getting slowly getting some CRTs as well, which is bloody hard to do in a country town.

It's been a while, I've been very busy being a teacher and getting married and such. I purchased another 3 of the Namco B Jamma boards to go with them but stupidly bought ones that didn't have the cables. A quick search on ebay and I haven't been able to find them :(

Another problem is that so much has happened since I last did research on this project that I forgot how I even powered the thing!

If you have the namco 2x6 jamma IO it powers the board via a small cable.

You also have the option of using a jvs psu with the 2x6 adapter looms, and virtually any jvs IO in that case.

Back