What's new
Although I could just solder in the kick harness I want a bit more of an elegant solution.

a CPS2 --> System 246 adapter would be perfect. Anyone with the gear want to make and sell me 3?

I read that you can use the CPS1 kick harness if you shuffle some pins around. I might be getting somewhere, will let you know what I come up with.

For anyone in the future reading this wanting to setup 4p Gundam in the future. Just get Capcom IOs for controls, don't go with the Jamma boards like I did, much simpler and then you can also use them for other JVS games (ie: Naomi).

Just got the "Namco Power Harness connect to System 246 / 256 Mother Board Taito" from legendhk on ebay. It combos fantastically with an ATX -> Naomi adapter.

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Namco-P...ystem-246-256-Mother-Board-Taito/172411155600

Capcom IO works great. Will update when I next get something for the project.
That's actually a pretty damn good price for a rather essential part- I'm tired of crimping my own, and it's definitely not doable, but for most, it's not worth the time.

For anyone in the future reading this wanting to setup 4p Gundam in the future. Just get Capcom IOs for controls, don't go with the Jamma boards like I did, much simpler and then you can also use them for other JVS games (ie: Naomi).
Personally I (at least used to before the massive price jumps) recommend people buy Sega Model 1's.. they're dead simple to integrate if you don't need to run games in a cab.

Personally I (at least used to before the massive price jumps) recommend people buy Sega Model 1's.. they're dead simple to integrate if you don't need to run games in a cab.
I assume you mean the 1st model Sega I/O's. I agree, Cap I/O's are too much, like $200 vs $40 you can get a Sega one. But be sure to look for revision B...I've had odd issues with button 6 on the "A" ones.
120px-Sega-io-838-13683-93-pcb.jpg

"don't need to run games in a cab." does not make sense to me...translation error?

Since I basically dedicated 4 of my cabs to Gundam, I went with the Namco I/O b/c it was cheaper. I thought I could use the 12/5v out from it but it did not seem to have enough juice going through so I had to change it up. If I had known that to start with, I would have used Sega I/O's just for future proofing (since the Namco one does not use USB but that pesky dedicated ribbon cable only used for 2x6). My issues are probable more specific to my setup and piss PSU's, so ymmv.

I run games in cabs, but also have a 4p setup on a long workbench setup using jvs power and put jvs IO boards (no jamma/supergun)

The namco IO boards work fine if you have jamma cabs, BUT the 2x6 PCB pulls a lot of current, and you should be adjusting your power supply to compensate (technically you should with any kind of board) - Set the voltage with no board connected to 5V/12V, then connect to your JAMMA or JVS board, and adjust again to compensate for voltage drop.

Update: Got some CPS2 to Namco System 2x6 kick adapters. Careful when you get them made, the JST connectors they are meant to use don't seem to fit vertically even though the pin spacing looks to be correct. I'm just going to solder them to the bottom of the board and call it a day. This will let me have all my superguns running CPS2 kick harnesses.

Pretty much just waiting on the sentinel supergun's now!

I'm actually working on another 4p Gundam side project that is almost complete. I have 4 PS3s and have 2 already setup for Gundam Extreme VS Full Boost. I was considering getting a few more 256s to have Gundam VS Gundam NEXT but Full boost is a lot better in my opinion, also I'm a lot happier bringing some PS3s to LANs than arcade hardware. Still cannot wait for the day when I have GSD running 4p... will be heaven!

Now, do I use 15Khz CRTs for System 2x6 or share the same 1080p monitor setups I will have with the PS3s?

Update: Got some CPS2 to Namco System 2x6 kick adapters. Careful when you get them made, the JST connectors they are meant to use don't seem to fit vertically even though the pin spacing looks to be correct. I'm just going to solder them to the bottom of the board and call it a day. This will let me have all my superguns running CPS2 kick harnesses.

Pretty much just waiting on the sentinel supergun's now!

I'm actually working on another 4p Gundam side project that is almost complete. I have 4 PS3s and have 2 already setup for Gundam Extreme VS Full Boost. I was considering getting a few more 256s to have Gundam VS Gundam NEXT but Full boost is a lot better in my opinion, also I'm a lot happier bringing some PS3s to LANs than arcade hardware. Still cannot wait for the day when I have GSD running 4p... will be heaven!

Now, do I use 15Khz CRTs for System 2x6 or share the same 1080p monitor setups I will have with the PS3s?
Trisync or 31khz crts will probably be best for the system 2x6 titles

I agree on 31khz crt, unfortunately I only have one, a 21" Sony Trinitron rebrand, it looks awesome. Unfortunately they never come up for sale where I live, been 0 for sale in almost 2 years.

Those 21 inch sony rebrands are killer for groovymame on 120hz mode. Looks almost the same as a 800tvl BVM to the naked eye.

I dunno about this 120hz, sounds like forbidden dark magic to me.

Project status: Waiting for the Sentinel superguns. When they are on the way I will order in some power supplies, a network switch and I'll make up a bunch of network cables. Then we're all go!

That reminds me, I assume these don't use DHCP, what IP range do they use?

Long term project: Most of the stuff not related to games in the shed will be moving into the future shed. Concrete is going down next week on the new shed. Next year I'll be getting a builder to insulate, replace the door and get an air conditioner installed. Then it's time to move in :)

Attachments

• futureshed.jpg
    futureshed.jpg
    551 KB · Views: 245
  • shed.jpg
    shed.jpg
    378.9 KB · Views: 248
They are not DHCP but I forgot what range. Use a hub (not router) and they will find themselves... tcpdump from a laptop on the same hub if you want to snoop.

wait- 21" CRT that does 120hz?
A lot of older 20/21" "professional" monitors like trinitron VGA can do 120hz, with groovymame, it looks freaking sweet. I don't know of any arcade native solution to get that video signal offhand. Stealing some wording, "It is also possible to get 'real' 240p on a standard CRT VGA monitor by creating a custom 240p resolution that runs at 120Hz. This produces a very sharp image, similar to that of a PVM."

Last edited:
They are not DHCP but I forgot what range. Use a hub (not router) and they will find themselves... tcpdump from a laptop on the same hub if you want to snoop.
I can't use just a normal switch? In my mind I remember finding out that I don't need a hub, can just use a normal switch (like this) but now I'm second guessing myself.

Yes, you could use a switch. Unless you have a dhcp server running you should be fine.

wait- 21" CRT that does 120hz?
Not to clog up this thread too much, but here is my viewsonic 20" CRT with GroovyArcade liveboot distro. I highly recommend GroovyArcade; install from LiveCD, SSH or SCP your MAME Rom Set, and it looks beautiful with your chosen display. Has pre-sets for most 15, 24, 31K, multi sync, and high res displays. I personally run GroovyArcade on a PC CRT in 120hz which does 240p emulation so to speak, with CRT refresh rates (no frame skip or anything, it can be slightly off 60hz in practice just like many arcade games are, so MAME with this rig runs with effectively native rates for the games).

https://imgur.com/gallery/7rZ8Uiu

iOvRUPV.jpg

Back