What's new

PascalP

Legendary
Reaction score
Got my Fast I/O and the TTX3 and Nesica card reader is on its way, so I want to start with installing the Fast I/O in my Sega cab (NNC).

Looking at Vewlix schematics, I see the Fast I/O is powered with 5V and 24V, is the 24V part necessary just for controls?
Or is the 24V only for outputs over the G2 connector? (same with a Sega I/O works with just the 5V and doesn't need the 12V?)

Otherwise I would need to add a 24V PSU to my NNC as I only have 3.3V, 5V and 12V

Last edited:
I can confirm you do not need 24V,

I think I'm supplying 12V only to my FastIO and it works fine. The RFID reader needs 5V

cool, so you supply the Fast I/O with 5V on the 5V pin and 12V on the 24V pin?

24V is usually reserved for high-draw electronics because the higher voltage allows it to draw more power without as much heat. So it's usually used for stepper motors and solenoids (that's why card readers typically need 24V, as well as the recoil solenoids in light guns). Maybe useful for audio amps, but it's not needed for logic, switches, or even lamps (unless you have an absolutely ludicrous lamp setup).

Yeah, thats's my suspision as well, that it is only used for controlling lights and stuff on cabs like Puzzle & Dragons.

I'll go ahead with just the 5V for now and test it once I get all other parts and wiring needed :)

the fast io can be powered by anything from 7v to 24v P&D will have it wired for 24v as it will most likely be powering the lights off the same power rail from the psu. But yea niko and my self power our fast ios from 12v. Im using a 12v 1a power brick from an old router. As for the rfid reader the i think can handle 4v to 12v will have to double check that when i can.

As for the 5v input you see on the vewlix diagram that isnt used for powering the device. Cant remember what its for off the top of my head. But all you need to power the device is pin 1 and 3 which is the 2 pins to the out most edge of the board

thanks for confirming Corey!
One less thing to worry about :)

Fast I/O PCB already arrived, Nesica reader and TTX3 are on their way from Japan, so hopefully I can start soon on this project :D

Almost done with wiring the Fast I/O in my cab :D

Started out with an original Sega NNC loom, moved around the pins in the 60pin AMP connector making it possible to connect to any stock NNC.
P1 + P2 and test/service/coin is all wired, now just the kick harness and 12V and GND supply to the Fast I/O and it should be good to go!

Does anyone know about the dips in the top-right corner?
1 is open, 1 is closed, is this the correct/default setting?

668B548F-0EED-4E8F-A44F-3C5BC4084AFA_zpsjqfem2sx.jpg

the dips are correct.

as for there function i have no idea but a guess would be something to do with the jtag port

So I continued to connect with the Fast I/O, but now I have a MAJOR issue.

Upon supplying it with 12V the first time I got a nice glow in the dark effect with some smoke effects...
Connected it to 12V (top row pin 1,2) and GND (bottom pin 3,4), and POOF! some IC's started glowing and smoking and a bunch of red LED's are lit now...

Any idea what went wrong?
I took power from a ATX PSU, yellow wire split for 12V and black wire for GND, double checked 3 times, didn't switch the wires around or anything.
Nothing connected on the connectors for control panel.
LAN cable was connected to a running TTX3 unit, used a straight network cable, no crossover

The IC's which started glowing and are damaged are IC11, IC15 and IC20

F3DWS98.jpg

7xzgOhh.jpg

gXObmfO.jpg

Last edited:
In that 4 pin connect one is 7-24 the other is 5v

So pin 1 = 12V and pin 2 = 5V?
Ckecked the Vewlix manual on the Arcade Otaku wiki that says 12V on pin 1 & 2...

Damn, I have a second Fast I/O but don't know if I have the balls to connect that...

Top left is 1, top left is 2
Botttom is 3 and 4, both GND

9NPaEPH.jpg

the vewlix uses the jamma board. There is a wire diagram for a puzzle and dragons on here that refrences this fast io. On that it takes 24v on pin 1 and 5b on pin 2 then 34 are ground.

Ps i did mentioned this above as well

Yes, I re-read it, you're correct, I messed up ;)

Time to pull out the 2nd IO and only connect pin 1&3 like you mention!

also double check the polarity im pretty sure the top pin is positive but not 100% certain.

Not near my fast ios to check. The positive will go to the positive side of one of the caps which is marked on the pcb

also double check the polarity im pretty sure the top pin is positive but not 100% certain.

Not near my fast ios to check. The positive will go to the positive side of one of the caps which is marked on the pcb
that't correct

whenever I'm building a new harness for a PCB I always use a meter to verify that what I think are the ground pins are all routed together and all run to obvious ground on points on the PCB (ground planes, ground pins on chips, etc)... and that 5V pins all run together and to expected places (such as known 5V pins on various chips)... I'm super-duper paranoid of hooking up power the first time I'm building a harness for this exact reason. I never trust any wiring information until I've verified it myself. 99% of the time it's correct but that 1 time it's not the verification saves your ass.

sucks to see a board go up in smoke like that, I've done it before, you live and learn :-/

All I can think is:

giphy.gif

Sucks that it fried man, good thing you have a replacement.

Had a similar incident happen to me recently, fried one of RGBs HAS :(

Good thing is, the fried one still seems to work...
I guess only the parts of the board which are controlled by the 5v rail are dead, looking at the traces it will most likely just be outputs.

I'll investigate further once I get it all hooked up :)

btw, it is odd to see the 'Vewlix' Fast I/O is powered differently from the universal Fast I/O, dual 12V as well as per the Diamond manual;
Vewlix Diamond Black manual PDF

Last edited:
Back