What's new

yavuzg

Professional
Reaction score
As part of my preparations for my new CPS2-multi I decided to take care of the fan noise of my A board.

I've replaced a few A-board fans with new ones which stopped the noise but I ran out of stock so I decided to solve this problem with guerilla tactics... ;)

Then I found an old PC fan silencer cable in my parts drawers. In old times, when PC case fans are not controlled by smart mother boards, these simle cables were used to silence the fans. It was basically a low ohm (e.g. 56 ohm) power resistor (bigger than normal resistors - guess 2 watts or something) connected series with the +12V cable.

I took out the fan and snatched the power resistor from that old cable...

IMG_2623_zpsuxrwriya.jpg

Cut the power line to the fan and soldered the resistor there. Used some shrink tubing for isolation...

IMG_2625_zpszlg0f9gt.jpg

There... No more jet plane in my A-board ;)

IMG_2626_zps484yc80i.jpg

With this simple method the fan runs slower and yet it still can move air out of the case effectively...

Last edited:
"I've replaced a few A-board fans with new ones which stopped the noise but I ran out of stock"
Could you link me to a noiseless fan replacement on Amazon, eBay or newegg please.. thanks

I bought the fans in bulk locally (i.e. local online electronics shop) so I don't have any links. But tonight when I go home, I'll open up one of the CPS2 A-boards and take out the fan and take a photo, better yet shoot a video of it... ;)

As promised, here is the replacement fan I used...

IMG_2688_zpsdy38mdej.jpg

IMG_2689_zpsybwvw8z4.jpg

This comes with a cable long enough to reach to the connector. But the female connector is not same type as the original male one on the CPS2 PCB side. It does not have the notch but fits in tight enough...

Last edited:
This is a must-do mod to tame the CPS-2's jet engine. I did the same thing to mine, but put a fan speed control in place of the resistor.

Back