What's new

nismopunch

Professional
Reaction score
So I just received my MV-1FZ and it came with the below tagged BIOS that per google translate is labeled "Battle ROM". Can tell it's a windowed eeprom from the depression in the sticker..so custom or part of a legit repair? My original MV-1F BIOS is pictured below for reference. Anyone know what the difference is? I was pulling my Universe BIOS out of my MV-1F to put into the MV-1FZ when I noticed this. Tried searching around but do not see this mentioned anywhere. Just curious if any of you guys have come across this.

Battle ROM Bios.jpg

Only way to know is to dump it.

Yeah thought that might be the case ;( Nothing custom in splash screen and test menu from what I see. It's labeled as JAPAN Ver 6.00 in the test menu. Menu is also obviously in Japanese and google translate is having issues with the font..blah. I played a few games with it and tried some button combos to see if anything would pop up but nada. Mystery lol.

Sadly I don't have the hardware to dump it. I just thought the name was cool and it was something custom lol.

I'd be happy to dump it and search the crc in mame. I would mail it back as well. Let me know.

I've never heard of a VS BIOS. Looking it up I found this post on the Neo-Geo forums:

it is a BIOS that enables "start" from player 2, after he/her putted a coin from the second cab, in a typical VS setup for just 2 players.

This means that only one board is used, but with a A/V and 2P controls sent to the second cab (probably trough custom harness)

He wrote that many later games will not work anyway, so it is probably an old BIOS…looking at the game list, we should understand the year, but seems ~95.
and:

The issue the "competition" BIOS (not the 4p one) address, is that if you seat on 2p cab and insert a single credit, you need to push start on 1p control panel to play. With the competition BIOS, you can insert a coin and start from the 2P side as well, that's it.

Back