What's new
The Decoder takes about 1ms to process messages
Nice try "undamned", if that's even your real name. I was told in a Twitch chat that your converters add lag, and who are you going to believe? The creator of the product? Or someone you've never heard of in an anonymous chat? Yeah, exactly.
Obligatory XKCD :P

duty_calls.png

r30YFBy_d.jpg

UD your so full of sh!t I measured it with calupers — a scientific measuring insterment!! Sry to say your usb encoder add, at a minimum, 64 millimeters of lag. It’s science dude. Check. Mate.

I have arcade cabinets but i have friends who like to use their own stick/pads/hitboxes to play the jamma games. I thought this device allowed you to plug in most usb controllers.
Yep, I know lots of people who have done this. Some people want the option to use both the built in arcade panel controls or some other controller they are more comfortable with. We've done that at various EVO side tournaments and there's even cabs at the Mikado game center in Japan that did this on some of their machines (I think for Guilty gear or some game that also had a home release, so people could bring their pads).

I've never seen photos of how they wired their stuff up, but electrically, the Decoders just go in parallel with the existing controls. You do not need to isolate them in any way. The signals all play well together. I would put in a vote for either some sort of JAMMA pass through PCB that you can wire into or if your cabinet already has the control panel wires running into plugs that detach, you could make your own pluggable extensions with wires coming off to go to the Decoders.
-ud
Thanks you for this reply. I didn't get why people were saying this decoder wasn't for that.

I've never seen photos of how they wired their stuff up, but electrically, the Decoders just go in parallel with the existing controls. You do not need to isolate them in any way. The signals all play well together. I would put in a vote for either some sort of JAMMA pass through PCB that you can wire into or if your cabinet already has the control panel wires running into plugs that detach, you could make your own pluggable extensions with wires coming off to go to the Decoders.
Atari did this for his cabs, I bet we could ask him for photos if you wanted to see his setup.
Is he a member of this forum. I would really like to see how he did his.

*edit*

Ok so i plugged the decoder & i dont see any light. I tried holding down the test button and PC still dont recognize, is there a different way. I have the first release decoders back in 2014.

Last edited:
Is there any way to map the right stick for controllers like an Xbox 360 pad? I’m also curious if there’s any way you can use it to mimic an analog output joystick? I read that you can have ultimarc load a special firmware for their joystick so you can replace a joystick like one used for foodfight or a Hall effect used on some classic Atari games. It’d be pretty handy for testing although I’m not sure how much interest there would be. Maybe a future rev.? I’ve been enjoying a couple of your encoders for a couple years in my test rig, just need to update to the latest firmware.

Last edited:
Absolutely possible to wire up these decoders in a cabinet. I did exactly that in my setup for the Evo ST event in 2014. Also utilized some sweet USB extension cables with an LED built in that @undamned provided. Was a clean setup that allowed players to use their own controller if they wanted to, which a lot of people opted to do.

Install is simple, just splice the signals for each input between the decoder and the control panel and pull +5v from the cabinet. Controls will work on both in parallel.

I believe @Atari FGC is a member here. Not sure how often he visits tho.

ok, so im not getting any power at all. What could be the cause of that, i bought the undammned decoder back in 2014. Finally decide to try it out but i can even update or my pc wont even recognize.

Is there certains switch or jumper i need to put it in when pluggin to the pc.

My bad, i thought it was the same like those universal pcbs. Got it to work by adding a wire to my loom for the +5V. Man it works amazing!

decoder.jpg

Noobie question....

How does one go about button remapping? My 5 and 6 buttons are swapped...

I'm looking to purchase a couple of these USB decoders, but am unable to find a store that sells them. Does anyone have a couple that they would like to sell or can point me to somewhere that has them in stock?

@undamned i can't find your decoders anywhere and I've gotten no word on your DIY kit, is there any units for sale anywhere?

Assembler says they should be shipping me completed DB15 Decoder boards on the 20th. I'll be programming those and putting them in housings shortly thereafter. That's 500 pieces, so hopefully that lasts more than a couple weeks :)

Paradise Arcade is handling assembly of the screw terminal Decoders, so I'm waiting on word from them on that.
-ud

Back