What's new

Coyo5050

Professional
Reaction score
SOLUTION: Long story short, 18 wheeler needs an original bios and does not work with the multibios

Hadnt played the game in a few months but worked fine previously. Turned the cabinet on everything seems normal at first; I choose the driver, goes the the USA map screen, then goes to the truck idling screen, then back to the map screen where the cities light up, gets to Florida but just seems to lock up there and you still hear the engine idling noise. Tried a different Naomi system that gave me an Error 1 so tried my Naomi 2 and it does the same thing as the first system. I try my Netdimm with the original Naomi 1 system and it doesnt boot up. I try the second Naomi 1 which I tested separately with the netdimm and worked fine but plugged in to the cab it doesnt boot up. I tried the Naomi 2 with the netdimm it does boot up loads the game (gives me motor error which was odd) and it locks up in the same place as when I have the cartridge in there. So I try net booting Crazy Taxi and although hard to play it works. Tried one of the SNK vs Capcom and started a game and it worked fine also, not that I could do anything other than punch :)

Other things I tried, tested voltage on power supply at the system connection and it was fine, tried a second working power supply also. Swapped I/O boards and same thing.

This is driving me bonkers, any guesses what is going on?

Thanks!!

Last edited:
anyone have a naomi cart game they want to sell cheap? I dont care what game just want a second cart game to try out since i only have one.

Hadnt played the game in a few months but worked fine previously. Turned the cabinet on everything seems normal at first; I choose the driver, goes the the USA map screen, then goes to the truck idling screen, then back to the map screen where the cities light up, gets to Florida but just seems to lock up there and you still hear the engine idling noise. Tried a different Naomi system that gave me an Error 1 so tried my Naomi 2 and it does the same thing as the first system. I try my Netdimm with the original Naomi 1 system and it doesnt boot up. I try the second Naomi 1 which I tested separately with the netdimm and worked fine but plugged in to the cab it doesnt boot up. I tried the Naomi 2 with the netdimm it does boot up loads the game (gives me motor error which was odd) and it locks up in the same place as when I have the cartridge in there. So I try net booting Crazy Taxi and although hard to play it works. Tried one of the SNK vs Capcom and started a game and it worked fine also, not that I could do anything other than punch :)

Other things I tried, tested voltage on power supply at the system connection and it was fine, tried a second working power supply also. Swapped I/O boards and same thing.

This is driving me bonkers, any guesses what is going on?

Thanks!!
I'm netbooting in my Naomi uni upright and the same thing is happening to me as well. Exact same spot.

I have the same issue when Netbooting... Haven't tried to troubleshoot though.
Could it be an I/O related problem? JP1 jumper in incorect setting perhaps?
(I'm using the Sega JVS to Jamma board).

i actually picked up a GGX cart a couple days ago and tried it today. Game plays fine. Then tried 18 Wheeler again and same lockup. So i assume I burned the new bios chip correctly and i know other carts work. Really frustrating. I dont want to buy another 18W cart for it to not work if netboot doesnt work.

i actually picked up a GGX cart a couple days ago and tried it today. Game plays fine. Then tried 18 Wheeler again and same lockup. So i assume I burned the new bios chip correctly and i know other carts work. Really frustrating. I dont want to buy another 18W cart for it to not work if netboot doesnt work.
I'm in that same boat too. you replaced the IO as well, right?

I think it's a BIOS chip problem. Different versions have different code and therefore the timing when the interrupts trigger is different. If the game is designed to work on a specific environment and you change it, interrupts will trigger at the wrong point and do all kind of unexpected things.

Bottom line. Try another BIOS. Carts dont care much but Dimm Games really do.

I think it's a BIOS chip problem. Different versions have different code and therefore the timing when the interrupts trigger is different. If the game is designed to work on a specific environment and you change it, interrupts will trigger at the wrong point and do all kind of unexpected things.

Bottom line. Try another BIOS. Carts dont care much but Dimm Games really do.
I've currently got a multibios in there.. would it be better if I burned an E bios and tested it with that?

**EDIT**

Hmm, after reading the original thread for the multi-region bios on Arcade otaku, it looks like the multi-region bios isn't compatible with ALL games, causing spawn to hang at a specific part, as well as 18 wheeler to freeze where mine is hanging as well! I'll get a ROM and burn a US 'H' Bios, test, then return and report.

Last edited:
im very curious about this now since the uni bios may now seem more than coincidence. I had the original bios in there previously. BUT i do have the cart so from the post it seems maybe it shouldnt matter or maybe just more bad coincidence...

Aside from SPAWN (which I have recreated the freeze on both cart and netdimm), on netdimm at least, ID3 will freeze in replay mode where as it will not on a normal N2 bios.

Hmm, after reading the original thread for the multi-region bios on Arcade otaku, it looks like the multi-region bios isn't compatible with ALL games, causing spawn to hang at a specific part, as well as 18 wheeler to freeze where mine is hanging as well! I'll get a ROM and burn a US 'H' Bios, test, then return and report.
I ran into the same issue using a real 18Wheeler cart in my Crazy Taxi, using a Multi-bios, as expected.
I burned an Export H bios and that fixed the issue for me :D Thanks for the nudge in the right direction, @darksoft!
For me on an N2, I used EPR-23608B (export) to allow me to play. I followed suit from AO advice "I swapped back to the EPR-23608B IC and 18 Wheeler runs good" https://forum.arcadeotaku.com/viewtopic.php?t=29558&start=20
Aside from SPAWN (which I have recreated the freeze on both cart and netdimm), on netdimm at least, ID3 will freeze in replay mode where as it will not on a normal N2 bios.
ID3 seemed sensitive to other freezing as well (when booting from GDROM), seemingly voltage related for me. Once I gave it a bit more juice it didn't mind the multi either in export, or JPN mode.

Back