What's new

muell67

Student
Reaction score
I've got a beginners question here. I recently got a vewlix F and I have been unsuccessfully trying to find a Type X2 or X3 for it. I know its now possible to play allot of the x2 games on a regular pc but is it possible to copy the complete windows embedded OS? What I mean is if I build a similar specd. pc to a Type x2 can I just run a type x2 hard drive that has the encryption removed? Im trying to duplicate the arcade experience I want to boot straight to the game and I want to be able to power off the machine without having to shutdown windows. I know that doesnt seem like a big deal but all of my games are in smart outlets and I use alexa to turn them all on and off. If I put a regular pc in the vewlix it would be the only machine I would have to do a separate shutdown on. All my other games shutoff with "Alexa. Turn off the arcade."

Hi Welcome, Lets get a few things Clear The above statement is incorrect.

For one every-single game Works perfectly fine on a PC, Be it I3 TO OR an i7 New Pc parts are so much better then x2 specs just about anything can run the games flawlessly and you can install windows XP Pos 2009, Windows 7 Embed standered whatever you like

Decypted versions of games, are only looking for an IO board once the Io is supplyed Via having a real io connected, or Typex_loader creating a fake jvs device

So that being said, You CAN build a custom PC with the same specs as a typex 2 or even a type x 3 You wil then NEED to buy a jvs io card and plug it in the PC It connects to the com pins on the motherboard you will then NEED to get the jvs io drivers, off a retail game chd, or extract them out of Nikos Multi then install them on the system. You can then Run any JVS title on the cloned hardware with a real IO

If your goal is to build "fake" hardware and not run REAL JVS IO You might swell just build a decent Pc because JVS and FAST IO are almost always parried A typex 2 system

Edit, Also you mentioned bout Shutdowns/windows
Windows Pc can Be set to auto power on the second AC power is applied so you need zero power switch
The install of windows on a X2 Is windows XP Embded SP2, You can either install that, or Windows XP Pos 2009 Embedded. , or even windows 7 embedded
Any copy of windows can be modifed to allow all error messages to be suppressed, and all windows branding removing during boot.

Last edited:
I have a normal windows PC setup to run TTX games. I recommend not going above Windows 7. I've had problems getting some games running on newer OS (a lot of it has to do with security, these games want full access and windows doesn't trust them). Also some games can be rather finicky with your graphics card selection.

If you need to connect to the JVS I/O board in your cab then the cheapest/easiest option would be a JVS-PAC a small interface board that outputs a JVS connection and is seen by the PC as a keyboard. since I'm not using mine in a JVS cab I just use a normal I/O device (ipac/KADE/PS360+ etc.)

Getting controls setup in each of the games in a normal windows setup is kind of a pain. Most of the decrypted games come with a config tool to map the controls to your input device, but some don't so you have to use some other piece of software to intercept and remap for you, which is a real pain, but once it's done it's done. it really helps to have something like Rocketlauncher setup as it can manage different profiles and software wrappers on a game by game basis.

In terms of hardware it's really not too picky outside of the graphics card. Some game need an F drive, so for that I just threw in a small thumb drive and labeled it "F", most TTX games need DirectX9 and seem to work best on nVidia cards. I think there are one or two games (maybe EX-BOARD stuff?) that seems to like ATi cards better... I know there are a couple of non TTX games that I couldn't get running because they wanted an ATi card.

My setup is really a full MAME cab with a Hyperspin UI, so the TTX and other Arcade PC games are just one part of it.

That sounds like what I was planning to do. I ordered my JVS pac about a week ago so hopefully it will be here any day. My biggest problem with this is like I mentioned shutting it down. Is there a way to get windows to not cache anything so I can just power the pc on and off without any errors. Like the embeded windows the official x2 runs. I know doing a proper shutdown shouldn't be a big deal but its always the little details that get me. For example I just built a centipede cabinet and decided to use a lcd. Rather than get a commercial one I decased a old dell 19" now when the game starts you see a dell logo on the monitor screen for about 2 seconds its driving me nuts.

My biggest problem with this is like I mentioned shutting it down.
This can be problematic and there are a few ways to take care of it none of them perfect IMO. I currently have 3 different cabs with PCs in them and I handle it a little differently on all of them.

On all of them I have the PC setup to automatically power on as soon as power is available. so if you have it wired into the power switch on your cab, the PC will boot up when you turn it on. This is a simple bios setting (it's named very differently in every bios I've used so just look around for it in the power settings).

the safest method is to to just shut down the PC properly every time. on most machines you can tap the power button once and it will shut down. so I open the coin door tap the power button, wait a few seconds for it to power off then flip the cab power off once it's down. So you don't need to go to the start menu or use a mouse or anything like that,...

on other cabs I do a hard power off so the power is cut to the PC without warning. the key here is you want to reduce the chances that your PC is in the middle of writing something when you cut the power. For the most part when running emulators, with the exception of the nvram ram files your setup shouldn't be writing anything to the hard drive anyway. so make sure you've exited to the menu before cutting power. Also make sure you've disabled any unneccesary windows background tasks, such as windows update, error reporting, anti-virus, etc. any auto updaters that may have been installed with other applications... you basically want your PC doing NOTHING unless you've manually told it to. I have an XP machine setup like this and has seen regular use for a few years now without any problems. There are some articles on other things to be disabled explicitly if you plan on cutting the power without shutting down. I can't remember the name of any of them off the top of my head but I recall reading a few when I set my machine up.

a third option, If this is a permanent setup you can get software controlled power strips so basically your pc will control the cab's power... turn the pc off and it will shut down and then turn off the power to the cab once it's done, then you can power them back on again together.

What allows the PC based arcade hardware to be safely powered off in an instant is the "Enhanced Write Filter". The enhanced write filter or EWF for short, either prevents or redirects writes to a volume. In the X/X2's case it redirects writes to RAM so after every reboot you're booting a clean image.

Technically you should be able to install EWF in regular Windows XP/7 but honestly I've never tried it.

For optimum compatibility with my tools, I recommend staying with Windows XP for the operating system. There where alot of security changes between Windows releases that greatly increased process security and can cause problems when trying to do certain things.

As far as I/O goes, the most authentic solution would be to get one of the JVS I/O cards that are inside of the X/X2s. They are simple boards that mount to the expansion slot on the back of a PC case, and plug into a serial header on the motherbaord. This card has the role of taking node0 in your I/O chain which some games query for dipswitch settings. Another possible solution instead of the I/O card, is to get a RS485 -> RS232 adapter and connect your JVS I/O directly to the PC, but some games might have problems with this. In either solution the I/O board needs to be connected to COM2. You can usually change serial port numbers inside of Windows.

The typex/x2 loaders you sometimes find prepacked with games are usually just tools designed to give you an interface for configuring controls and then injecting a keyboard to JVS dll. If you dont have an "authentic" JVS setup, then you will need to use these launchers when starting the game. Honestly, this is probably your best bet, JVS is annoying and slow. A properly written keyboard/direct input to JVS interpreter can poll for input a bit faster.

Last edited:
Technically you should be able to install EWF in regular Windows XP/7 but honestly I've never tried it.
I didn't know this I'll have to look into that.

As far as I/O goes, the most authentic solution would be to get one of the JVS I/O cards that are inside of the X/X2s. They are simple boards that mount to the expansion slot on the back of a PC case, and plug into a serial header on the motherbaord. This card has the role of taking node0 in your I/O chain which some games query for dipswitch settings.
I did know this. I'd be interested in seeing if it's possible to build a serial JVS I/O interface from scratch. since the "real" ones in the TTX and similar hardware seem to be difficult to find cheap.

What allows the PC based arcade hardware to be safely powered off in an instant is the "Enhanced Write Filter". The enhanced write filter or EWF for short, either prevents or redirects writes to a volume. In the X/X2's case it redirects writes to RAM so after every reboot you're booting a clean image.

For optimum compatibility with my tools, I recommend staying with Windows XP for the operating system. There where alot of security changes between Windows releases that greatly increased process security and can cause problems when trying to do certain things.

As far as I/O goes, the most authentic solution would be to get one of the JVS I/O cards that are inside of the X/X2s. They are simple boards that mount to the expansion slot on the back of a PC case, and plug into a serial header on the motherbaord. This card has the role of taking node0 in your I/O chain which some games query for dipswitch settings. Another possible solution instead of the I/O card, is to get a RS485 -> RS232 adapter and connect your JVS I/O directly to the PC, but some games might have problems with this. In either solution the I/O board needs to be connected to COM2. You can usually change serial port numbers inside of Windows.

The typex/x2 loaders you sometimes find prepacked with games are usually just tools designed to give you an interface for configuring controls and then injecting a keyboard to JVS dll. If you dont have an "authentic" JVS setup, then you will need to use these launchers when starting the game. Honestly, this is probably your best bet, JVS is annoying and slow. A properly written keyboard/direct input to JVS interpreter can poll for input a bit faster.
Niko dixit

So I just checked and it seems like its pretty easy for me to get a image of windows 7 or 8.1 embedded. Then I believe I can just turn on EWF or UWF. Im still not clear on the difference I need to do some more research. Im going to try this weekend and see what hapens. If I can get this working then I will tackle the JVS issue.

My biggest problem with this is like I mentioned shutting it down.
This can be problematic and there are a few ways to take care of it none of them perfect IMO. I currently have 3 different cabs with PCs in them and I handle it a little differently on all of them.
On all of them I have the PC setup to automatically power on as soon as power is available. so if you have it wired into the power switch on your cab, the PC will boot up when you turn it on. This is a simple bios setting (it's named very differently in every bios I've used so just look around for it in the power settings).

the safest method is to to just shut down the PC properly every time. on most machines you can tap the power button once and it will shut down. so I open the coin door tap the power button, wait a few seconds for it to power off then flip the cab power off once it's down. So you don't need to go to the start menu or use a mouse or anything like that,...

on other cabs I do a hard power off so the power is cut to the PC without warning. the key here is you want to reduce the chances that your PC is in the middle of writing something when you cut the power. For the most part when running emulators, with the exception of the nvram ram files your setup shouldn't be writing anything to the hard drive anyway. so make sure you've exited to the menu before cutting power. Also make sure you've disabled any unneccesary windows background tasks, such as windows update, error reporting, anti-virus, etc. any auto updaters that may have been installed with other applications... you basically want your PC doing NOTHING unless you've manually told it to. I have an XP machine setup like this and has seen regular use for a few years now without any problems. There are some articles on other things to be disabled explicitly if you plan on cutting the power without shutting down. I can't remember the name of any of them off the top of my head but I recall reading a few when I set my machine up.

a third option, If this is a permanent setup you can get software controlled power strips so basically your pc will control the cab's power... turn the pc off and it will shut down and then turn off the power to the cab once it's done, then you can power them back on again together.
You can turn off UAC, in windows 7 and allow everything to run as admin, the only issue you will find the d3d8 games run to fast because of different d3d8 calls in windows 7 this can be 100% fixed by using a custom D3d8 To D3d9 Converter dll by Reshade.

Ewf can be added to any version of windows embedded or otherwise once turned on the C: Drive is basically protected form "improper" shutdowns

For removing windows branding there is a simple point and click application

For windows Xp Any version everything that says windows logos and mouse will be hidden in place of your good application

https://www.gameex.com/instant-sheller-and-shelling-guide/

For windows 7 Everything will be hidden perfectly aswell however on the windows logo screen there is the "windows 7 XX version" at the buttom, Instant sheller is unable to remove this

But using Resource-hacker you can open the windows file basebrd.dll and you can delete the bmp form the dll inside windows thus removing it

The TX2 expects an io card in the PCI slot. Also if you built a PC all the drivers would be wrong.
I appreciate the effort and trying to be helpful:)
I'm happy to be totally wrong. I used to own a TX2 and that was my understanding.

Now I'm interested in putting together a custom TX2 build (mini-ITX), I'd love to see a tutorial about what hardware to buy, installers etc...

in terms of hardware? Depends
Fully Pc based with No real parts?

Id go Any CPU Dosent matter honestly,
and A Nvida GPU
Windows 7 Embedded Standerd, (for EWF , Modermish Version of windows why? Steam, )
JVS PAC ***ONLY if the cab is wired for jvs, otherwise id wire up 360 controls to it***

So you use JVS pac on the cab it allows the cabs natural controls to be seen as a keyboard inside windows, so you set every-game up to work with kb controls that match your jvs pac this includes steam games such as Gulity Gear XRD ect mame and other things swell
and if you dont use jvs pac and do rewire a cab for 360, that works the same

With this type of a setup 98% of the "dumped" games will run flawlessly In Terms of installers or loaders You dont need any? for A jvs game you will need Typex_loader of your choice (All these do is create a fake com device ) Fast io games need No "loaders" to launch on Pc

If you want to use a real fast io or real jvs on a pc...

Fast io is a pice card, so you need to make sure the motherboard and graphics card you select have room for both cards

JVS io is com, so your motherboard needs com headers

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

As you can see above there is multiple ways to interface a normal PC into a jvs CAB and have it function and play just like an arcade board, this is why when people pester niko for multi s of TTX3, TTX1 omg can we have mame insert another emulator here
when they already have the ability to build a box and do what they "want" with out having to be limited to a certain subset of hardware hell you can even run Games natively on windows with real io boards attached I get very triggered

JVS PAC ***ONLY if the cab is wired for jvs, otherwise id wire up 360 controls to it***
^this is important

you don't need 360 controllers specifically, but you want an I/O device that LOOKS LIKE 360 controllers to the PC.

JVS PAC, J-PAC, and I-PAC all look like a keyboard to your PC, this is fine 90% of the time, but there are a handful of games (both Steam Games and TTX Games) that don't allow certain buttons to be remapped. there are some steam games that don't allow multiple player per input device as well (such as Mortal Kombat).

To get around this you need to setup a virtual-joystick, and a keyboard remapper and then setup profiles for each game.

360 controllers have the best compatibility with (arcade style) PC games, and usually have excellent remapping options for 360 pads. Some TTX games can be mapped to joysticks but you can use joy2key to map joystick buttons to the keyboard inputs that each game expects. This is nice because then you're using the same configuration interface to map out each game's controls.

As for what hardware to use. I switched to using a KADE board and I'm pretty happy with it.

Ok so...

I could build a PC like this:
https://au.pcpartpicker.com/list/sWmWTH

Use xbox 360 controllers (not a problem there).

Windows 7 Embedded Standard x64 (or x86?)

Use a frontend to launch TTX games (which use a launcher that emulates the JVS)

... and I'm pretty much done?

Id say that is over kill by alot, but yea that would totally run things prefectly fine

You dont have to use something 360 based, it could be keyboard based whatever

And i would never know bout front end launchers ;)

I just got done testing out windows 7 embedded with EWF turned on after I put battle fantasia in the startup folder. I also set the bios to turn on after power failure. My only problem now is I wish I could get rid of the windows logo at startup and I guess the windows embedded license I have is for xp. So I will only have windows 7 for 30 days before it starts shutting off after 20min. Other than that everything is working exactly like I want. I also found that apparently there is a way to get ewf on the consumer versions of Windows 7 http://www.mp3car.com/forum/mp3car-...dows-7-32-bit-or-64-bit-enhanced-write-filter Im going to try this next.

Also Im sure this doesnt work or everyone would do it but if I take the type x2 multi rc2 .img and put it on a hd. What would stop it from booting on my computer that is similarly specd to a x2?

if you search around the net you can "find" a key that removes the 30 day limit on Windows 7 Embedded

So ill give you all my quick and Dirty PC setup guide

1:
install windows Any version docent matter use those special keys that you can google.

2::
Once you popped into the desktop Fire up internet explorer Go to www.ninite.com
Choose to install all the tools you need for Gerenal PC setup and use. such as
WinRar ,k-light codex pack, teamviwer NotePad ++ Chrome, Stream Ninite installs it all with 1 button press for lazy people.

3: google "all in one runtimes" This will install every MS runtime file and .net Version with 1 button press its amazing
3a: get your graphics card driver.

4: Once you have windows setup Go to download whatever games you want then go to control panel mouse options turn on find mouse with the "control" key highlight
then disable UAC if 7,

5: Download and run "instant sheller" Set the shell application to whatever you like or your front-end of choice once thats complete turn on EWF Id recommend however, making bat files for turning EWF on and off for Fututre USE

6:: Download Resource hacker. then follow this guide on another PC
http://www.askvg.com/how-to-remove-...utton-from-windows-vista-and-7-login-screens/
Tldr Take the drive out of the arcade, find and edit the basebrd.dll then replace the one form your ArcadeDrive with the one you modified.

7:: profit????

Additional Side notes, I would store game data on D:/ just so EWF dosent have to be disabled to install an update, same with the frontend
you do not need a C: E: D: when dealing with the "dumps" there are save "hooks" however it is recommend because some games are very iffy

"""""Also Im sure this doesnt work or everyone would do it but if I take the type x2 multi rc2 .img and put it on a hd. What would stop it from booting on my computer that is similarly specd to a x2?""""

Kind Of triggered by this, with out a jvs io board attached none of the games will work period nor will nikos multi AND on top of it, the X2 windows install is so old it wont have proper drivers for none of your hardware

the exact flip-side if you build a stable version of windows with a real jvs io attached YES you can straight up copy the multi and games and they will run both of these where said before.

I also forgot to mention you dont have to use instant sheller to replace explorer.exe inside windows you can use it to hide all of windows but leave the desktop, this is good if you like to edit stuff often so you dont have to reopen the explorer. just place whatever applications / front ends you want to load in the windows startup folder and hide desktop icons

Back