What's new
Instructions on the 1st post have been updated!
IMPORTANT INFORMATION!!! FROM NOW ALL The CPS2 MULTI GAMES COME WITH THE LATEST FIRMWARE THAT ALLOWS TO KEY WRITING. THAT MEANS THAT YOU NEED TO INSTALL THE EXTRA 4 WIRES.

:D

It might not be a good idea to post that.... there are people happy with the decrypted set who aren't comfortable soldering the wires on and I'd rather they didn't attempt it and cause damage if they don't need to

It's great we have the key writing feature, but the kit will absolutely work without it :)

Looks like US stock has dwindled. Any idea on when stocks will replenish? Or possibly another US retailer?

Just took the plunge and made the purchase from High Score Saves!

It's a lot of coin for me, but considering a big chunk of my arcade gaming experience has been on CPS2 machines, it makes it worthwhile.

Now is the waiting game and read up on the instructions

It's a lot of coin for me, but considering a big chunk of my arcade gaming experience has been on CPS2 machines, it makes it worthwhile.

Sleep easy my friend, you will LOVE IT!

This. I love my CPS2 multi

I've also got some of @Arthrimus QSB boards coming as well as the connectors/wires etc. so if you want it installed, I know a guy :P

Oh I'm sure I will... I've been living on groovymame for the past year, so having the real deal will be awesome!

This. I love my CPS2 multi
I've also got some of @Arthrimus QSB boards coming as well as the connectors/wires etc. so if you want it installed, I know a guy :P
Hahaha.. I've got one of those coming too..

But I'd like to think I'm OK at soldering. It's everything else with the install I'm worried about.

I'm sure I'll have plenty of questions once the kit arrives

It's my fav multi, best bang for buck too.

Install is easy. It looks more complicated than it actually is. Pretty much just connecting PCBs, not much else to it.

Enjoy it!

Any advice for someone about to buy the Kit? I'm gonna do a X-men vs Street Fighter Blue region board thats still on battery. Im ok with soldering I've done capkits, infinikey and modchips. I watched the demo and it doesn't seem too rough. I'm a little confused so Im gonna get that key writing option. Just trying to think of anything I should be aware of. This is going in a real cabinet so I guess the cable is a must?

I'm far from an expert, but I just recently did mine.

I purchased @Arthrimus ' QSB for key writing. It's an extra expense, but it makes the install so much cleaner. I have zero issue with soldering to the pads, but this makes it a much nicer install.

I already had a phoenixed b board, so there was no issue for me "sacrificing" the board. Some might have an issue with "killing" the board, but the sacrifice you make vs the benefit you get.. It's a no brainier for me.

I originally thought the normal cable would be fine as I went with the mentality of "I'll just change games near the game board, but I've purchased a longer cable (and is still in transit) to allow me to install near the coin door or possibly even in the cp. Still to be decided.

I'd probably recommend getting the lcd case too. It just makes it so much easier to handle without having to worry about an exposed pcb.

Once the key writing qsb is installed, the rest of the install was pretty breezy since I had a rev 7 board and already had a pal g. Steps I too were:

1. Downloaded @SmokeMonster 's base roll up pack
  2. Copied the contents to a Micro SD card (you might want to purchase the micro sd card too from whichever retailer you go as I had 4 attempts to find an sd card it would be able to read - seems to not like anything more than 8gb)
  3. Uninstalled the eproms
  4. Checked my jumpers with a multimeter
  5. Installed the smaller pcb very carefully (make sure orientation is correct), once I could see all the pins lined up, I gave it a good press to secure the board
  6. Installed the larger pcb very carefully, once I could see all the pins lined up, I gave it a good press to secure the board
  7. Installed the bridging pcb very carefully (make sure orientation is correct)
  8. Installed the lcd cable
  9. Turned the cab on and hoped for the best :) (it took me 4 attempts since the msg I got was there's no sd card to read or somethingonv those lines, once I got that sorted, it was essentially choose and select)
  10. Cut/snap the stand-off on the b board case as pictured in the instructions.
One thing to note, the lcd contrast may be too much making the lcd extremely difficult to read unless you place it on a particular angle. If you do find this to be the case, before closing the board up, you can find a little potentiometer on the larger pcb which allows you to adjust the lcd contrast.

I was lucky enough with my install because my only issue was simply a micro sd card, once that was sorted, games boot fine.

If for some reason you're having issues, make sure you check out The Definitive Guide to Fixing Your CPS2 Multi Kit thread.

Last edited:
somehow that still seems terrifying. I have spare 8 and 16 microsds for these kinds of compatibility issues. The framemiester has the same quirkiness.

Back