Pinned --> Get your CPS2 Multi game here!!!! <--

    • Darksoft wrote:

      It's for the purists. Some people claim that the code is not 100% as it will be executed in the original, specially the AI for records.

      It's for the whingers like me who keep boards running on batteries because it's 100% original, and now we can have the same thing without batteries :D

      Also I believe for high score/speedruns you need to be 100% original, I know you do for fighting game tournaments.
      Namco Cyber Lead and Sega Astro City owner
      My VAPS Profile
    • hardyhell wrote:

      i do not get it too.
      Why was this necessary? Everything worked fine. The romset from Smokemonster with the old firmware.
      There are a few reasons:
      1. People who want to set official high scores were having trouble getting them accepted when using the multi because they were doing those scores on "modified" roms since on the old firmware all roms needed to be decrypted to run.

      2. Any new CPS2 games that might be found down the road will work, as-is without relying on someone decrypting it in order to "prepare it" for the multi kit. Even as-is the new firmware gave us a few new rom versions that now run and weren't available before because they weren't decrypted.

      3. While the team behind the decrypted rom sets that we had are awesome and there were no KNOWN bugs. that doesn't mean that there weren't any here or there that may have slipped through the cracks and were hiding in portions of the games that people rarely reach. Running 100% original code ensures that the game will run like a 100% original b-board.

      In short, the new update allows the multi to run 100% original, unmodified, game code, where the old firmware required a lot of work to make each and every rom playable.

      Even with the new firmware you can still run the old ROMs if you want to make use of modifications like free-play mode, etc.
      "Information wants to be free"
      VOOT | RFM | Kraylix V3 | FiF Jr. | KI2 | UMK3 | E29 | E29| TOTD | DDR
      Follow my projects on Instagram: instagram.com/twistedchu

      Buy my 3D Printed Parts: bit-district.com
    • xodaraP wrote:

      Darksoft wrote:

      It's for the purists. Some people claim that the code is not 100% as it will be executed in the original, specially the AI for records.
      It's for the whingers like me who keep boards running on batteries because it's 100% original, and now we can have the same thing without batteries :D

      Also I believe for high score/speedruns you need to be 100% original, I know you do for fighting game tournaments.

      twistedsymphony wrote:

      hardyhell wrote:

      i do not get it too.
      Why was this necessary? Everything worked fine. The romset from Smokemonster with the old firmware.
      There are a few reasons:1. People who want to set official high scores were having trouble getting them accepted when using the multi because they were doing those scores on "modified" roms since on the old firmware all roms needed to be decrypted to run.

      2. Any new CPS2 games that might be found down the road will work, as-is without relying on someone decrypting it in order to "prepare it" for the multi kit. Even as-is the new firmware gave us a few new rom versions that now run and weren't available before because they weren't decrypted.

      3. While the team behind the decrypted rom sets that we had are awesome and there were no KNOWN bugs. that doesn't mean that there weren't any here or there that may have slipped through the cracks and were hiding in portions of the games that people rarely reach. Running 100% original code ensures that the game will run like a 100% original b-board.

      In short, the new update allows the multi to run 100% original, unmodified, game code, where the old firmware required a lot of work to make each and every rom playable.

      Even with the new firmware you can still run the old ROMs if you want to make use of modifications like free-play mode, etc.
      1. But it is still a Multi board and not 100% original Hardware.

      2. ok is see the benefit there

      3. Also there in some way. one has still to find the original roms.does anyone know if smokemonster will do a romset?

      thanks for the Information. i hope that there will no Multi boards will be burnt by doing the mod.
    • hardyhell wrote:

      But it is still a Multi board and not 100% original Hardware.
      Technically the hardware isn't modified, it just has the multi plugged in to where the ROMs, normally go. Likewise you're not modifying a DVD player by inserting a different DVD. Regardless, it doesn't matter what you think, it matters what the score keepers think, and this seems to have satisfied them.


      hardyhell wrote:

      3. Also there in some way. one has still to find the original roms.does anyone know if smokemonster will do a romset?
      There is already a new romset released for this firmware Ekorz put it together, it was posted earlier in this thread and in the roll up pack thread

      full set:
      New CPS2 Multigame Firmware with Key Writing!!!!!!


      minimal set:
      CPS2 Roll-Up Packs: All roms for the CPS2 kit
      "Information wants to be free"
      VOOT | RFM | Kraylix V3 | FiF Jr. | KI2 | UMK3 | E29 | E29| TOTD | DDR
      Follow my projects on Instagram: instagram.com/twistedchu

      Buy my 3D Printed Parts: bit-district.com
    • twistedsymphony wrote:

      There is already a new romset released for this firmware Ekorz put it together, it was posted earlier in this thread and in the roll up pack thread
      @ekorz work laid the foundation of the new and improved Roll-Up Packs. It's best to use the Roll-Ups now since they give you the best of both worlds: all of Ekorz' vanilla MAME roms, plus hacks, NAME files, etc.
      YouTube | Twitter | My Donations Link
      Darksoft: CPS2, STV, MVS Pre-order
      Supergun: Home Arcade System 'HAS'
      PVMs: 2030, 1944Q, 3 x 8041Q
      PCBs: 50ish | Sticks: 50ish

    • Sorry, I didn't realize your thread had been updated for the new firmware. I had given it a quick look and didn't think it had but I should have checked the change long.
      "Information wants to be free"
      VOOT | RFM | Kraylix V3 | FiF Jr. | KI2 | UMK3 | E29 | E29| TOTD | DDR
      Follow my projects on Instagram: instagram.com/twistedchu

      Buy my 3D Printed Parts: bit-district.com
    • Mitsurugi-w wrote:

      And make sure it has the two grey connectors on the top of the B-board. There have been a few that I have seen without those. I've only seen like two though.
      Good point.
      * Arcade-projects, the site where you get the most of your arcade games.
      * If you want Drama go to Neo-Geo forum ---Darksoft
    • New

      xodaraP wrote:

      Darksoft wrote:

      It's for the purists. Some people claim that the code is not 100% as it will be executed in the original, specially the AI for records.
      It's for the whingers like me who keep boards running on batteries because it's 100% original, and now we can have the same thing without batteries :D

      Also I believe for high score/speedruns you need to be 100% original, I know you do for fighting game tournaments.
      so if by chance, i did want to flash mine, and have it done by more trusted hands than my own....who's doing them? Short term brain is saying don't worry about it....long term brain is saying...what can it hurt? :(
    • New

      ShootTheCore wrote:

      xterc wrote:

      Quick question... Is there any way to save the hi-scores for every game after the unit is switched off?
      The CPS2 saves the current game settings and high scores through power off until the game is changed. Then the settings and high scores are reset to defaults.
      Hmm my battery CPS2 boards dont seem to save the scores when I turn off my cab, Im guessing its because I turn it off at the mains rather than the PSU inside my cab?

      bagheera369 wrote:

      so if by chance, i did want to flash mine, and have it done by more trusted hands than my own....who's doing them? Short term brain is saying don't worry about it....long term brain is saying...what can it hurt? :(
      I doubt it will be very hard to do yourself, I havent looked at it but even rudimentary soldering skills will let you get by.
    • New

      Turning it off at the mains versus the cab won't make a difference-either way, he board will be unpowered.

      @PascalP is right-if it's not saving game settings or high scores through power off (without changing the game) then your A Board super cap probably needs to be replaced. There's info on where the super cap is located, how to test it, and the part to replace it with, here:
      CPS2 A-Board Volume
    • New

      The Spaniard wrote:

      ShootTheCore wrote:

      xterc wrote:

      Quick question... Is there any way to save the hi-scores for every game after the unit is switched off?
      The CPS2 saves the current game settings and high scores through power off until the game is changed. Then the settings and high scores are reset to defaults.
      Hmm my battery CPS2 boards dont seem to save the scores when I turn off my cab, Im guessing its because I turn it off at the mains rather than the PSU inside my cab?

      bagheera369 wrote:

      so if by chance, i did want to flash mine, and have it done by more trusted hands than my own....who's doing them? Short term brain is saying don't worry about it....long term brain is saying...what can it hurt? :(
      I doubt it will be very hard to do yourself, I havent looked at it but even rudimentary soldering skills will let you get by.
      Was under the impression I'd have to update the firmware? That would mean picking up some other items...yes? I can solder all day...that's not an issue...but buying hardware for a one-off firmware flash...id rather just send it off.