What's new
As long as your kit isn't one of the initial batch of CPS2 Multis then you can update the firmware by just placing the file on the root of the SD card. You will still need to solder 3 wires for the key programming afterward though.

If you do have one of the initial CPS2 Multis then you'll need to use a Discovery programmer to update the firmware. I can loan you mine if you like.

As long as your kit isn't one of the initial batch of CPS2 Multis then you can update the firmware by just placing the file on the root of the SD card. You will still need to solder 3 4 wires for the key programming afterward though.

If you do have one of the initial CPS2 Multis then you'll need to use a Discovery programmer to update the firmware. I can loan you mine if you like.
fixed that for ya ;)

My CPS2 board saves the settings no problem but I don't think high scores are saved. I'll have to check that

I thought settings were saved onto the B board, rather than the A? Settings aren't retained when the game is changed

Many games don't save high scores no matter what you do as they are not programmed to do so.

are the settings saved if you change em from default?

If they are also reset, I would say something is wrong with your A board like a dead super cap or so?
I think the settings are being saved, from what I remember SSFTX has Turbo speed default to 2 and I have it set at 3
Turning it off at the mains versus the cab won't make a difference-either way, he board will be unpowered.

@PascalP is right-if it's not saving game settings or high scores through power off (without changing the game) then your A Board super cap probably needs to be replaced. There's info on where the super cap is located, how to test it, and the part to replace it with, here:
CPS2 A-Board Volume
Will check that out when I have some time over the weekend and see if this is the case. I have other A boards that I can test with anyway.
Quick question... Is there any way to save the hi-scores for every game after the unit is switched off?
The CPS2 saves the current game settings and high scores through power off until the game is changed. Then the settings and high scores are reset to defaults.
Hmm my battery CPS2 boards dont seem to save the scores when I turn off my cab, Im guessing its because I turn it off at the mains rather than the PSU inside my cab?
so if by chance, i did want to flash mine, and have it done by more trusted hands than my own....who's doing them? Short term brain is saying don't worry about it....long term brain is saying...what can it hurt? :(
I doubt it will be very hard to do yourself, I havent looked at it but even rudimentary soldering skills will let you get by.
Was under the impression I'd have to update the firmware? That would mean picking up some other items...yes? I can solder all day...that's not an issue...but buying hardware for a one-off firmware flash...id rather just send it off.
Yeah dont quote me but I thought the firmware update was something you added to the SD card? Someone correct me if I am wrong. I actually havent looked up this new firmware bar from briefly glancing at it and worrying about it when I need to take it on and when initially looking at the CPS2 Multi I saw that firmwares were SD based.

Lol STC confirmed what I thought about the firmware on the SD card.

@xodaraP I know you have a SSF2TX are high scores save on it even without removing the board?

But it is still a Multi board and not 100% original Hardware.
Technically the hardware isn't modified, it just has the multi plugged in to where the ROMs, normally go. Likewise you're not modifying a DVD player by inserting a different DVD. Regardless, it doesn't matter what you think, it matters what the score keepers think, and this seems to have satisfied them.

3. Also there in some way. one has still to find the original roms.does anyone know if smokemonster will do a romset?
There is already a new romset released for this firmware Ekorz put it together, it was posted earlier in this thread and in the roll up pack thread
full set:
New CPS2 Multigame Firmware with Key Writing!!!!!!

minimal set:
CPS2 Roll-Up Packs: All roms for the CPS2 kit
Thanks for the Information.high score Boys Aare happy :)

i am still not sure if i should risk destroying the Muli with the update process.

Do I need to order the optional long cable to use this (https://bit-district.com/arcade/capcom-cps2/cps2-multi-lcd-holster.html) with CPS2 Multi?
original cable should fit as you can see in the 2nd picture :)

cps2_multi_lcd_holster_04.jpg

I see that the shop in Italy is expecting more units in February and is taking pre-orders. But I'm curious, when are you planning to get more units to Paradise Arcade? I see Paradise at various events and it would be really good if they can have inventory to sell - I feel like they've been sold out of the Darksoft CPS2 for quote some time so I haven't been ablt to buy one.

As per previous posts, saveyourgames is now the sole supplier :)

Was under the impression I'd have to update the firmware? That would mean picking up some other items...yes?
Actually no.
You can update the firmware and still run decrypted sets if you like. Just replace the key characters with full F's (null).

Probably a dumb question but I recently pre-ordered on saveyourgames... I assume that this batch coming next month hasn't all been sold out and orders are guaranteed? The shop listing doesn't explain the process very well.

Probably a dumb question but I recently pre-ordered on saveyourgames... I assume that this batch coming next month hasn't all been sold out and orders are guaranteed? The shop listing doesn't explain the process very well.
Pretty sure you can only preorder if there are slots available for this coming order.

:D

For those state-side (a little late for me now) it appears paradise arcade shop is taking preorders for this batch to ship around March 1.

Back