What's new
Just a quicky. I've not forgotten about this, I've just had some boring first world stuff to sort out :sleeping: I should be back on with the good stuff tonight though :thumbup: I need to crack on because they'll be starting to land soon.....

Franco, I'd be interested in one of these. Got one of your Run-DMD frames, they're nice :thumbsup:

Let's go @francoB!!! Can't wait to see the final design!! you can definitely count me in for this!! I'd definitely like to see some extension on the lcd selector but this looks awesome so far

Does the F3 main board and the multi fit in this case? A case where both fit as one unit that would be great..

The original version seen previously in the thread is a 'sandwich' for the multi-pcb only. I've been working on a version for an 'all in one' enclosure by request though.

Ok, I've taken a couple of screen grabs to help explain better. Here's a picture of the bottom acrylic piece:

Full_enclosure_base.png

You would remove the F3 mainboard PCB and mount it to the bottom piece:

Full_enclosure_base_PCB.png

The top piece would then mount above that:

Full_enclosure_base_PCB_top_no_corner.png

For reference, here's a pic of the same assembly but with the 'multi-pcb sandwich' on it. This is how that version would look but obviously you would have the original mobo base:

Full_enclosure_base_sandwich.png

It's a fairly basic design. I'm open to suggestions for improvements etc.

I've been thinking about this a little and what I think I'm going to do is get some parts cut myself to check them over and then release the files for you to get your own pieces cut at Razorlab/Ponoko etc. I think this is the best plan for a variety of reasons:
  • I can release various versions with all holes cut for the selector PCB, partial holes cut for the selector PCB, no holes cut for the selector PCB etc etc. You can then mix and match which parts you want to have cut
  • You can get your parts cut in what ever colours you want and you can buy whatever standoffs/feet etc
  • I'm doing this non-profit and so I don't want to have to buy a load of stock in and risk not selling them or not buying enough and not being able to hook people up. This way, people can order one whenever they like as more are produced by Darksoft
  • I don't have to deal with 1000 PMs sorting payment and shipping out :D Not shipping them internationally should make them cheaper for y'all too.

As soon as I get my multi-PCB I'll take some extra measurements and then get a version of each main design cut at Razorlab.

The only other thing I need to sort out is the logo(s) to eb etched on top. This is one part I could probably do with a little help with. Does anyone fancy helping out with this? I guess we want the Darksoft and F3 logos? I can provide .eps's of the top pieces if required. I do want to learn some graphics programs soon but it's going to take me a while and time is in short supply as always.

Awesome :thumbup: , I will take 2 :D

Can you make a version where the top 2 layers match the base layer?? I dont like the MB to have that exposed section by the jamma edge. maybe just leave cutouts if one needs to access the switch, spinner connector and small hole to passthru the reset/hold wire from the multi to the MB?

I'll get one too. What would be the expected price?

Awesome :thumbup: , I will take 2 :D

Can you make a version where the top 2 layers match the base layer?? I dont like the MB to have that exposed section by the jamma edge. maybe just leave cutouts if one needs to access the switch, spinner connector and small hole to passthru the reset/hold wire from the multi to the MB?
On the 'all in one version' you won't need a middle layer. You only need the 'black' base layer and the top clear/ layer.

I can add/extend the bottom piece from the 'sandwich' version if you want it but I don't think it's needed for the 'all in one' version?

I'll get one too. What would be the expected price?
The price will be the cost price. I'm making no money from this so it will cost whatever Pokono etc charge you to get one cut. Once I (hopefully) get some help with the logo(s) I'll be able to submit the file and get an example price.

On the 'all in one version' you won't need a middle layer. You only need the 'black' base layer and the top clear/ layer.

I can add/extend the bottom piece from the 'sandwich' version if you want it but I don't think it's needed for the 'all in one' version?
Please do, I would still like to have that red plexi in there to sort off emulate like when you have a cart installed, plus I am loving the whole red/black theme, it goes well with my vewlix cabs :D

Regarding logos, I'm hugely in favor of having Darksoft's logo on it. I actually sold my original Plexi for the CPS3 and bought Jasen's second version just to get that on there.

Darksoft logo and either F3 specific or Taito generic would be my vote. Probably F3 specific.

I'll definitely take one for just the multi pcb board alone

Please do, I would still like to have that red plexi in there to sort off emulate like when you have a cart installed, plus I am loving the whole red/black theme, it goes well with my vewlix cabs :D
Okie doakz, no problemo. I'll get that sorted for you. I'll leave space to get to the NH headers and I'll also cut out for the audio amp heatsink. Once I get my multi I'll figure out the best place for the reset wire hole.

I managed to teach myself just enough Inkscape this morning to cobble a couple of logos together so I could submit some files for pricing. Please note it's by no means finished and I'm open to suggestion.

Razorlab/Pokono have three material sizes to work from. Both versions will fit on the mid size work piece of 384mm x 384mm (15.1" x 15.1") Submitting the following files gave me the prices shown below.

Multicart only enclosure

1st_Razor_Quote.png

1st_Razor_Quote_bottom.png

Note I forgot the cart connector slot on the bottom piece, they'll be added though, don't worry.

Razor_Quote_sandwich_screen_grab.png

Complete F3 enclosure

1st_Razor_Quote_Enclosure_top.png

1st_Razor_Quote_Enclosure_bottom.png

Razor_Quote_Enclosure_screen_grab.png

Prices are in £/GBP. I tried to get prices in USD from Pokono but it just ended up giving me the same prices in £/GBP as both websites seem to be linked.

I thought the prices are not too bad considering each job is a one off. Note I added the selector enclosure to the bottom of the piece as there is plenty of material which you're paying for anyway.

Note these are just some rough submissions to get an idea on pricing. Everything will be tidied up and I can then save various versions with/without holes etc.

The complete enclosure is shaping up to be super HOT!
I love the red & black colors...
My only change request, move the "Taito F3 Multicart" etching to a line below a centered "Darksoft" logo, which should also be made a bit larger.

I understand its size/position was chosen more for the cart aesthetic, but for the complete enclosure I think it would look nicer.
I agree the middle layer in the complete version is unnecessary.

Add me to the all-in-one design (complete F3 enclosure) list please.

This isn't really a 'pre-order' thread any more as I'm not shipping kits out as explained earlier in the thread. I've updated to the OP to clarify this.

I was lucky enough to receive my F3 multi last week and it's awesome! :thumbup:

Now I've got the actual cart in hand I've been able to take the exact dimensions from it and I'm almost ready to send off the first files to get a proto laser cut.

@PascalP has been working on some nice lables for use with original cart shells and I thought it would be nice to get the same label laser cut into these.

There is a link to his latest designs [here]. I'm personally liking design #4 which is this one:

bkoDiU4l.jpg

However, since y'all will be getting your own enclosures cut you can use which ever graphics you like 8)

PascalP has very kindly offered to share the graphics with us and so once they're finalised he's going to share the files and I'll get the first proto sent off for . Thanks PascalP :thumbsup:

Last edited:
Agreed, that #4 is great. Hopefully someone around here will print them since I don't have a good printer for labels myself.

Back