What's new
@ekorz has shipped a Wargods pcb set to me to see if I can make this CF kit happen. Multiple people have asked in the past month if I can make it happen, so let's do this.
This has me interested but I have 2 questions....
1. Any chance we could use an IDE DOM instead of a CF adapter? I feel like they're a lot more compact and generally more reliable solution.

2. would it be possible to convert a Cruis'n USA or Cruis'n World to WarGods?

I think wargods is a different PCB than those other two.

In theory if he is able to work this out you should be able to use any media for the drive that you want as long as it can plug into the port on the pcb.

@ekorz has shipped a Wargods pcb set to me to see if I can make this CF kit happen. Multiple people have asked in the past month if I can make it happen, so let's do this.

really hoping that something good comes
of this. If so Ill be first in line to pick up a couple of flash drives from you for my boards :D

These are a great solution and are working very reliably on my Battle Gear 2 boards.
I have one in my KI2 and love it.

I asked about it though because I recall reading something about some other HDD games that worked with CF but not DOMs.

1. Any chance we could use an IDE DOM instead of a CF adapter? I feel like they're a lot more compact and generally more reliable solution.
I had only recently seen these IDE DOM devices when I bought an IDE SSD (60gb) for logic analzyer. Never even thought of using them with arcade games, but good idea. Where do you recommend buying them, what brand?

@Mitsurugi-w is correct that if I can get a CF to boot, then any other device should be good to go.

The boot rom checks the connected drive to see if the cylinder/heads/sector values match what is hard coded. Two ways to patch: completely remove the checks, or change the values to support a specific media type/density.

But will keep it in mind to support any IDE device :)
Don't think so, because Cruis'n uses ROMs where WarGods uses IDE drive

If so Ill be first in line to pick up a couple of flash drives from you for my boards
Yes I already had you in mind for someone who wants and needs a kit :D

I had only recently seen these IDE DOM devices when I bought an IDE SSD (60gb) for logic analzyer. Never even thought of using them with arcade games, but good idea. Where do you recommend buying them, what brand?
@Mitsurugi-w is correct that if I can get a CF to boot, then any other device should be good to go.

The boot rom checks the connected drive to see if the cylinder/heads/sector values match what is hard coded. Two ways to patch: completely remove the checks, or change the values to support a specific media type/density.

But will keep it in mind to support any IDE device :)
Don't think so, because Cruis'n uses ROMs where WarGods uses IDE drive
If so Ill be first in line to pick up a couple of flash drives from you for my boards
Yes I already had you in mind for someone who wants and needs a kit :D
Awesome!! :thumbsup:

Where do you recommend buying them, what brand?
I don't have any recommendations for this. they do seem to carry them on amazon but I have no idea if those are any good. I only have the one on my KI2 and that kit was put together by someone else (I forget who at this point).

I've done DOMs for my KI boards, that's what I'm hoping for with wargods actually. I haven't found a brand that didn't work, but here's the write-up I did a while back that shows Apacer brand, bought on ebay:

KI2 DOM (Killer Instinct 2 Disc on Module)

I now can't remember what the uncompressed size of wargods is, but hopefully a 1gb would work. If I recall I think I got area 51 site 4 working with a different brand, more of an ssd thing. I may go look and edit this post, but this guy got it working with an Apacer also: https://forums.arcade-museum.com/showthread.php?t=431283

Well that sure is badass when you see how it installs on the pcb! Was picturing it with a cable

Ordered a 1gb IDE DOM and gender changer

Uncompressed raw image is 420,872,192 bytes, but better to over shoot for meow

This reminds me i total forgot to post about my ssd solution in other places besides your thread. Lol just so busy past year :)

some dom's are slower than CF,
check the speeds before you buy one.

i remember some benchmarking on a slim-client or whatever they are called.

Just thought Id drop in to this one again to see if there has been any success with CF card images or any breakthroughs yet.
Looking forward to this ^^

Boardset arrived last week, waiting for the DOM package as the eBay seller decided to wait 12 days to ship the item :cursing:

Boardset arrived last week, waiting for the DOM package as the eBay seller decided to wait 12 days to ship the item :cursing:
omg…

Dont you just love it when you buy something and pay for it up front and quickly only for the other side to take their sweet time on getting you what you bought. Arrgh…

Totally rooting for you on this one though
"Help me brizzo war god, you're my only hope" lol. :thumbsup:

sorry to add to an old thread , lots of talk about all kinds of random stuff in here. I have made several Wargods drives, (NOT CF). The reason is Wargods looks for a specific drive SIZE! Some drives let you change the drive size therefore I have made 20GB drives boot no problem. CF cards don't have the ability to force a size so it doesn't work. So what you need to look for in the boot sequence is how to remove the size check.

sorry to add to an old thread , lots of talk about all kinds of random stuff in here. I have made several Wargods drives, (NOT CF). The reason is Wargods looks for a specific drive SIZE! Some drives let you change the drive size therefore I have made 20GB drives boot no problem. CF cards don't have the ability to force a size so it doesn't work. So what you need to look for in the boot sequence is how to remove the size check.
This is some great info to add.

Not an old thread at all, Ive been following it like crazy as I have a couple boards I want to get running as soon as the CF option is made possible.

With all the success with hard drives, have you attempted a CF before by customizing and removing the size?

So many classic games out there that have some small issue like this making them either hard to repair and taking a lot of time or ultimately scrapped as the owners think there is no way to repair them.

Hopefully if/when War Gods is able to run off of CF it may save a few more games before its too late.
Hard Disk Drives are going to become a thing of the past here soon as well as CF I can imagine too.

Im here, ready to picku up a couple of these CF when they get done in hopes to save the boards Ive got here :)

that explains why i couldnt break mame by messing with the drive i.d, or serial - thanks.

Back