What's new
Here's the details I have:
1) Hardware used: Apacer 8GB SSD, SATA to IDE adapter
2) Software used: hdat2
3) What has been done: SSD formatted to 420.87MB (setmax option, size) using hdat2
4) Download Wargods chd and uncompress it

Bootrom I've asked.

The sata to ide adapter may also be a specific one, could you ask for a model # or photo?

same as sata ssd or standar hdd not all hard disk can me change geometry sized by hdat2

same as sata ssd or standar hdd not all hard disk can me change geometry sized by hdat2
the point is that the geometry/size info CAN be changed in the adapter settings with an appropriate adapter.

a non-adapter solution is not possible unless the drive is a perfect match or you have some other way to spoof that information.

can the one you linked be modified?

Last edited:
Well this is super interesting, I wasn't aware that some devices supported or even had "SET MAX ADDRESS/EXT" command which limits the drive capacity. Just some light reading it appears the specific requirement is the SSD supporting the command and not the adapter.

I haven't followed the entire discussion so maybe I'm missing the point.
I have a friend who is running Wargods from a SATA SSD (with adapter). Is it of any interest?
yes indeed. I need to pick up a couple of these or something similar for my war gods pcb

well i started looking at this and may have found a bug in mame's chd handling :(
i need to double-check though.

about max-size.
that used to be standard feature for old computers that had bios limitations - i didnt know it was still in any modern stuff.

well i started looking at this and may have found a bug in mame's chd handling :(
i need to double-check though.

about max-size.
that used to be standard feature for old computers that had bios limitations - i didnt know it was still in any modern stuff.
A bug eh? :/
Really cool of you to take a look into this. As for the bug, is it something that prevents the code from running or is it more like several other CHDs I've seen on MAME where it says "there is no sound" or "this is not working 100%" but still plays?

Following this closely here :)

if you create a chd without compression it thinks it's a diff referenced to another "master" chd! :(
i dont need it uncompressed to look at the rom, but i wanted to avoid compressing it incase i needed to look at the content.

Welp all the thinking on this got me back in the office , I now have a drop in working CF drive for wargods

Attachments

• F054CC02-7E91-4126-8DB4-BC33F9D98D04.jpeg
    F054CC02-7E91-4126-8DB4-BC33F9D98D04.jpeg
    30.4 KB · Views: 268
If anyone wants to buy 1 I’ll start taking names
Price will be 108.00 shipped US. The cards and adapters aren’t as cheap as I wanted , but cheap isn’t always the way to go.
Does not come with ribbon cable card and adapter only, you will need ribbon cable.

Attachments

• 0DB25C52-5E9B-45CB-AED8-723004916148.jpeg
    0DB25C52-5E9B-45CB-AED8-723004916148.jpeg
    302.1 KB · Views: 264
Id like to buy 2 of them but I live in Japan. Hopefully that won't be too much trouble
Price will be 108.00 shipped US. The cards and adapters aren’t as cheap as I wanted , but cheap isn’t always the way to go.
Does not come with ribbon cable card and adapter only, you will need ribbon cable.
Id like to buy 2 of them but I live in Japan. Hopefully that won't be too much trouble

Sorry just saw this, is there any still available? How much shipped to Canada?
thanks

Back