What's new

darksofter

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Dear Team,

I want to find out which LCD Professional Video Game Monitor has the least amount of lag and is ideal for retro gaming in conjunction with an upscaler.

In the capcom pro tour they use the zowie rl2460.

Which monitor are ideal?

I usually stay away from TN LCD, they are the fastest but to My eyes the colors is a big factor.. The second factor for me is the size of the monitor.. Check out tftcentral.co.uk for review.. Dell has a few IPS with low lag. I recently came across the Dell U3014 which in game mode is 3.30ms. 30" LCD, IPS. The OSSC only works on pass through and above that a DVDO is needed.. The pass through is very good, the monitor seems to do a great job at ups calling, the LCD seems fast with minimum motion blur.. I have not test it with the xrgb mini. So far I like what I see in this monitor.. Wii U, PS4 etc look very good.

The down side is that the monitor cost $500-600 used and it is a 2014 model, a bit challenging to find locally.

Thank you! Challenging to find sounds alarming. I preferably would like to avoid going on a quest again. And then also getting a dvdo. Oh man, trying to get a nice picture does not seem to end.

Thank you. I am thinking to get either a gaming monitor such as a Benq rl2460 or an oled. Real estate is important, but low input lag is more important. Which ever of these two has the lower input lag. I take flat screens over CRTs because, I don't like the clunkiness that takes so much space away, the high frequency whining causing so much noise, low electricity consumption and it is paradoxically more pleasant on the eyes with the blue light filter. I like crts but we live in a new age. Hardware manufactures can build these flat screens. However their focus is to make football look better.

If you're shopping OLEDs, the LG panels have the best compatibility with the OSSC upscaler and pretty good Game Mode lag (25-30ms) as well. Highly recommended.

Yeah, the Framemeister has around 24ms of lag, while the OSSC has 1-2ms. Upscaler lag compounds with your display lag, so if your display has 30ms of lag, you'd be at 54ms total with the FM.

Definitely look into an OSSC if you're trying to reduce lag as much as you can. I own both, and definitely notice the difference on timing-sensitive games.

I prefer the OSSC. Adv: Less lag, sharper, more colorful (color processing is done internally at 4:4:4 colorspace on OSCC, but 4:2:2 on FM), built-in EuroSCART, component and VGA inputs. Dis: Digital audio and HDMI output are only standard on the new Revision 1.6 hardware. Compatibility can be poor with some arcade boards and televisions.

As for the FM...Adv: On-screen menus, composite and S-Video inputs, includes HDMI output and HDMI passthrough, easier to find and buy for now. Highly compatible across all hardware and displays. Dis: Need dongles for EuroSCART, Component, and VGA. More lag. Shows distortion on solid color patches (like some NES games).

Thank you for all your help. I think the OSSC is a fine device. I have the FM, so I will use until the there a new revision of the OSSC will come out, 1.7 or 2.0. I also read now that the TCL Roku TVs are awesome, too. Relatively inexpensive, big screen real estate, and low input lag. Maybe Micomsoft next device will be another killer device, as well. I think we are quite lucky. The future for retro gaming looks bright.

Back