What's new

RealMFnG

Legendary
Reaction score
I am attempting to revive a suicided XvSF board. The EPROMS where the nomenclature contains the same character strings but perhaps a different prefix or suffix from different manufacturers are they interchangeable with EPROM's with the same character string from other manufacturers? For instance:
  1. Pulled a Sanyo LE27C4002F EPROM.
  2. Is this interchangeable with ST's M27C4002?
My Top3000 programmer's only flaw is it is not natively compatible with chips from different manufacturers. Is there a site somewhere that denotes which banks on a CPS2 B-Board is supposed to accept which chips?

If I understand correctly, yes.
Sound program (01-02) can be 27c1001, 27c010
Main program (03-10) can me 27c4096,27c4002,27c240
Qsound sample (11-12) can be 27c160,27c322 (depending on games and pal chip)
Graphics (13-20) can be 27c160, 27c322 (depending on games and jumpers)

Thanks dawg. I picked up the suicided CPS2 XvSF board @Dr. Willy. Seems some of the EPROM's are dead; erased them 2x and tried to burn them but they errorred out. I actually have EPROM's from another dead XvSF that I used as a donor board for the CPS2. When using those EPROM's for this project, they were different chips!?

Anyhow, I burned the Avalaunch roms on them all mixing the good EPROM's from Dr. Willy and swapping the dead roms for my other XvSF board. I got a red screen in the end. I think I will retry this with all the EPROM's from my CPS2 multi donor board. If that doesn't work, I'll wait for 27c322's to come in from eBay. I am going to do a HSF2A conversion anyway.

Damn that Capcom for making this difficult. Didn't they realize we would be reverse engineering their stuff 20 years now in the future?

watch the speed on the eproms, it's the bit after the dash.
dont use ones slower than the originals.
slower = higher number btw.

Reactions: XeD
Red screen can also be a seating issue between A and B

Red screen can also be a seating issue between A and B
You sir, are a genius! I decased the B-board so I could insure the connection to the A-board was secure. Thumbed down the EPROM's again while I was in there. And viola!!

XvSF.JPG

Messed around and resurrected my first ever B-board! It's been a pretty frustrating week with this nasty heat wave and issues with AW2Naomi games booting to a black screens, nasty sounds coming from my CPS2 multi. Nice to have a breakthrough for once. Many thanks to Team Avalaunch for their pro bono work and to @Dr. Willy for the deal and superfast shipping on the A+B boards. Now that I know the B-board works, time to move it to the highest config first to test if my CPS2 multi is defective, then on off to its new life as HSF2A!

What is the ideal speed for each of the EPROM's on a CPS2 board? Do any need to be faster than 100ns? Getting tough to source those.

Back