What's new

twistedsymphony

Enlightened
Staff member
Immortal
Reaction score
I've wanted to design one of these for a while because a lot of people have requested I print DogP's excellent design but I don't really like printing other people's designs, mostly because I can't tweak the fit and finish. Thanks to @brentradio for lending me his LCD module I was able to design my own.

This took a little while longer to design than some of my other stuff because I wanted to design it with NO SCREWS and I went through several iterations before I settled on the final design. In this case the back slides off. this ends up working better than a case that snaps together as it allows the bottom of the PCB to be held securely for good button feel.
20170620_072530-1024x576.jpg

I still have some fine tuning to do before I release the files and start printing them.

What do people want to see for colors offered or any other design considerations?

I will be offering it in Red to match the F3 multi but I'm unsure of what other colors you guys might want.

once the design is finalized I'll update this post with some better pictures and post up the files along with a link to order it.

Here's an example of the button labels colored in with a fine-tip sharpie:
19228222_1673693872937925_3973278845439574016_n.jpg

Here's a picture comparing my design to DogP's
cps2_housing_vs_dogp.jpg
^this is an early prototype of mine, in the final design the LCD is recessed slightly from the housing and the buttons don't stick out as much.
Also I didn't do this print of DogP's housing and this doesn't really do his design justice, I'm mostly going for a size/shape comparison here.

Here's how the back attaches... no screws the back slides on from the side:
cps2_lcd_housing_back.jpg

ORDER ONE PRINTED FROM ME HERE: https://bit-district.com/arcade/capcom-cps2/cps2-multi-lcd-housing.html

DOWNLOAD THE FILES TO PRINT YOUR OWN HERE: https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:2413990

Attachments

• 20170620_072630-1024x576.jpg
    20170620_072630-1024x576.jpg
    86.2 KB · Views: 167
Last edited:
So last night I was gearing up to print what would be the first proof print of the finalized design and my printer crapped out on me.

the harness for the extruder got an internal break... will likely be a week or so to get the parts in and get it fixed, so while I was hoping to get this released next week it's looking more like 2 weeks out now :-/

Files are available and You can place an order now if you like.

I'm still printing up stock and some colors aren't available yet so if you want one in that color that's "sold out" they should be available soon.

So after seeing people talking about permanently mounting their multi LCDs to the PCB some how it occurred to me that it'd be nice to have a place to put the LCD so I came up with this "holster"

21227885_125420204774885_8477534838302179328_n.jpg

this sits in place of the small removalable panel on the front of the cart housing and has a wire pass through for the ribbon cable. installs with ZERO modification to the cart housing and the LCD housing clips in place such that you could even turn it upside down and it wouldn't fall out.

the idea is that if you want it clipped in all the time you can leave it in, but if you occasionally need to use it like a remote you can easily pop it out to do so.

I still have some adjustments to make on the design and I have an idea for a similar holster on the CPS2.

So after seeing people talking about permanently mounting their multi LCDs to the PCB some how it occurred to me that it'd be nice to have a place to put the LCD so I came up with this "holster"
Awesome design - I'd love to order one. Let us know when they're available and I'll be first in line! :thumbsup:

MUST HAVE LCD HOLDER (in matching red plastic please) ACCESSORY!
q01fbNn.jpg

I've still got to work out the fitment against the F3 housing and there are some tricky parts to print so I might need to tweak the design to improve on that as well... I'd estimate another week or so before I can make these available

In the mean time here's another test print in red. I snapped the pic while I was checking clearances against the expansion connectors

test_2.jpg

test_3.jpg

the ribbon cable position here isn't what the final one will be like, it will enter on the right of the holster, not the bottom.

oh and if anyone is interested I whipped up a model of that little port cover:
https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:2519408
f3_port_cover.jpg

I don't plan on selling these since I doubt there's much demand for it but I figured I'd release the files to help save someone who does happen to be missing theirs... or I suppose it's nice if you want to put holes in it without ruining the original.

Ok I've got the fitment and printing issues worked out but now that I have a fully functional "holster" there are some usability issues I wanted to get people's opinions on.

1. the holster clears the kick harness connector when installed however it's close enough that you cannot insert nor remove the connector without removing the cart. (are there any games that use the kick connector besides Kaiser Knuckle?)

2. I'm currently using a small circular opening to the right of the holster for the ribbon cable. Such that to pass it through the cable has to be folded in half or rolled at that point. Not a big deal to me personally but it may be for others.

Last edited:
1) As far as extra cables are concerned, Kaiser Knuckle uses a 6 button kick harness, Ring Rage uses a 3P-4P harness, and Arkanoid Returns and Puchi Carat can both plug in a spinner. I personally don't see myself ever using the extra connections for any of those titles, but if I did, I wouldn't mind pulling the holster off temporarily just when playing the appropriate title.

2) I see no problem with folding the ribbon cable to pass it through into the shell. Seems reasonable - a wide slit to accommodate an unfolded cable would take a lot of space.

I have an adapter harness (CPS2/3 style) connected, but honestly I've never used it (not even once).

My only request is that upon actually seeing it in red... I would like one in black.
I feel the black would match the black plastic cart locking tabs on the sides, and reinforce that two-tone black/red vibe overall. :thumbup:

As far as extra cables are concerned, Kaiser Knuckle uses a 6 button kick harness, Ring Rage uses a 3P-4P harness, and Arkanoid Returns and Puchi Carat can both plug in a spinner. I personally don't see myself ever using the extra connections for any of those titles, but if I did, I wouldn't mind pulling the holster off temporarily just when playing the appropriate title.
yeah it's looking like Kaiser knuckle is the only game that needs the kick connector. the 3p-4p connectors are are fine as they're far enough forward that you should be able to plug/unplug them without problem.

where does the spinner plug in on these? I was under the impression that it just used the JAMMA edge, if it uses the "S1" connector then it would have the same problem as the kick connector.

I have an adapter harness (CPS2/3 style) connected, but honestly I've never used it (not even once).
...so you haven't played Kaiser Knucle yet :D

My only request is that upon actually seeing it in red... I would like one in black.
I feel the black would match the black plastic cart locking tabs on the sides, and reinforce that two-tone black/red vibe overall.
yeah, it does look "too much" in all red, though I'm not sure if I like a red holster with a black housing, or a black holster with a red housing.

I've finalized the design and I'll be printing them in black (looks much better).

but next week I'm in LA on business so I'll be shutting the store down tomorrow morning until next Friday. So I'll have the holsters available then.

Ok, next week expect a order for a holster in black. :D

Enjoy LA in the meantime. ;)

I posted this in one of the CPS2 threads but I figured I should post it here as well:

23347924_137717460211796_8394996016528490496_n.jpg

The design is essentially done I need to make a few tweaks to it but I ran out of filament so I'm waiting for more to arrive before I can finish it up and release the files/offer them for sale. Just like the F3 holster it attaches to the front without any modification to the original housing.

I put this off for a while because I couldn't figure out a good way to attach it... until I did. I'm pretty happy with how this one turned out :D

Back