What's new
No, what bothers me is when someone requests for a complete change in something that isn’t broke to begin with. I am looking at it from a developer perspective. There’s been countless times that I see something that works perfectly fine but it doesn’t satisfy that one person and asks to change it all just to fit their needs.

Maybe I am overreacting a bit over this, but I just don’t see the need to change anything on something that works perfectly fine.

At the end of the day though it’s darksofts work, so he can most definitely do whatever he wants with it.

Last edited:
Do they really frown upon darksoft carts in Japan for 3S?
I do cart conversions for Japanese arcades quite a bit actually. I've been talking to Japanese operators a lot lately. One of them told me he estimates the number of SuperBIOS carts in use in Japanese arcades to be over 50% now. It's like he said, if their cart dies there is no other option. They seem happy with the version that auto-boots to Japan mode. Though a few have specifically asked me for the option to choose region.

what bothers me is when someone requests for a complete change in something that isn’t broke to begin with.
I do cart conversions for Japanese arcades quite a bit actually. I've been talking to Japanese operators a lot lately. ... They seem happy with the version that auto-boots to Japan mode.
This is exactly why someone might request a version that auto boots to a specific region.

if you let the cart boot normally it will sit on the region select screen until a region is selected, it doesn't just auto select after a few seconds. This is important if you wanted to run one of these carts publicly.

This is exactly why someone might request a version that auto boots to a specific region.
"
Those versions are already available on the first post. It briefly shows the region select screen before auto-booting to the region set in the bios. But some don't want the region select screen to show at all. Point is the arcades are fine with it as it is now.

I mostly agree with everyone here.

- It's darksoft's work and he can do or not do whatever he pleases with it.
- The brief flash of region select is not a deal breaker. it's a mild annoyance at best.
- If there was a version released that had no region select and no flashed screen (and no DARKSOFT boot text) I would use that.
- What the arcades do in Japan is important to me, but not necessarily the same as what I'd choose for my home.

Yes we all appreciate what Darksoft has accomplished, and how much it means for the 3s scene. No one is understating that. All I'm saying is if there was a version of the Darksoft BIOS and CD that mimicked an original authentic release as close as possible, that is what I would prefer.

that had no region select and no flashed screen (and no DARKSOFT boot text) I would use that.
The CDs that I released some days ago, removes all the Darksoft message during game (after you've chosend a region)

I like region select, I only wish the joystick moved smoothly. :rolleyes:
Not worth updating for IMO.

I have a friend who's a tech at a well known arcade chain (rhymes with sound fun) with a dead CPS3 cart. It wouldn't be cool for them to run something 'hacked' on the floor, be an issue with corporate. He'd love to put Third Strike back into rotation, but Darksoft wasn't really an option with the boot up stuff.

If I can help him get a cart that loads and looks legit then maybe he can put the game back on the floor and people can enjoy it. There's no desire for multi-board, no 'cheating' anything, just wants a fix for a dead battery basically. So this is really helpful to know about, and really useful for some situations. And could mean more people can play a great game on original hardware.

Sending him a text now about it. :)

Honestly I'd love to skip the region select straight to Japanese version myself. It's super not a big deal, but I just bang past it every time, there's no use for it for me personally. I might send in my extra on-battery cart for that fix.

Just keep in mind there's lot of use cases out there, and people aren't just being picky. I always appreciate the extra efforts from the Darksoft team.

I might send in my extra on-battery cart for that fix.
please don't kill working CPS3 carts to make a darksoft multi out of it. You're of course free to do what you wish, but the pool of working legit carts is already dwindling fast enough.

please don't kill working CPS3 carts to make a darksoft multi out of it. You're of course free to do what you wish, but the pool of working legit carts is already dwindling fast enough.
I had my on battery JoJo cart listed for $5 for nearly a year and NO ONE wanted it so I eventually had it converted.

I typically agree with you but if you can't give the thing away how much value does it have?

I hear you, and yet, it's sitting in a drawer with the battery slowly dying right now. I'm hard pressed to think of what actual value that's providing anyone. I mean, for all I know it's dead already, I haven't used it in at least a year or two.

I had my on battery JoJo cart listed for $5 for nearly a year and NO ONE wanted it so I eventually had it converted.
I typically agree with you but if you can't give the thing away how much value does it have?
I hear you, and yet, it's sitting in a drawer with the battery slowly dying right now. I'm hard pressed to think of what actual value that's providing anyone. I mean, for all I know it's dead already, I haven't used it in at least a year or two.
I would have bought it for $5 in an instant... i guess i didn't see it. where was it listed? Just here?

Aurich, What cart do you have on battery? If it's anything but 2i I would buy it from you...

On a occasion or two, I've exchanged a dead cart with Mitsurugi-w for a live one he has kicking around. I'm of the mind that until there's a means of properly reviving dead carts, we should do our best to not sac still working battery carts. Although I have multiple CPS3 Multi carts, I ultimately do want to eventually have all the individual game carts still working on battery, for nerdy collection purposes :D
-ud

please don't kill working CPS3 carts to make a darksoft multi out of it.
Yea I'm with @twistedsymphony if these things are so valuable, how come no one wants 'em?
Most people are scared of it, because they don't understand it. They don't have the ability to change the batteries on their own and they don't know anyone who does (for what they consider an affordable amount). Trust me, people want them... it's just a matter of finding the right people.

I don't think we have the ability to restore keys on CPS3 (yet).
nope. but I think he was speaking, half joking, about future terms. If undamned would make an infinikey for cps2 instead of batteries... why would he want cps3 with batteries? From my perspective though, both are valid and useful. I love that infinikey exists, and other arduino/pic based solutions... but I collect battery boards.

yes don't be killing carts. I wouldn't mind upgrading a few of my batteries cart if anyone want to trade for a darksoft cart :)
My superbios for your working battery cart

Last edited:
Back