What's new
My cart is my original Third Strike cart. Honestly I have no interest in selling it, I don't want the money. And I don't have any interest in another labeled cart really, because Third Strike is the game I care about. So there's personal attachment to the silly piece of paper on the cart.

The battery part means nothing to me. If someone wants to arrange a trade for the new no-Darksoft-logo straight boot to Japanese on a Third Strike labeled cart for my battery one I'd do it, doesn't matter to me, but otherwise I don't really have any interest in parting with it.

I respect that some collectors are purists about this stuff. I don't personally care, I just want the games to run properly on my cabs. People playing them is the preservation that matters to me, and I host a weekly for that. Games definitely live on, they aren't just sitting on a shelf or something.

I honestly don't want to have to worry about the suicide battery going out one day. Therefore, I choose the Darksoft mod. It doesn't affect the gameplay whatsoever, and the region select screen just seems to be a nit-picky thing to some people. If you have a cart that can run forever without any need of changing the suicide battery, then what's the problem?

@Aurich, I totally agree with preservation and just keeping the people playing the game. Myself and quite a few others in my area rely on this kind of stuff to keep the 3rd Strike scene alive and going.

Bottom line is, all the Darksoft mod does is remove the encryption keys. The game code itself remains the exact same. I'm all for it.

Hi all !

Stupid question: How change bios version ?

I have 1x card of DarkSoft repro with SuperBios and SH2 Standard.

I use the last CD V4 standard (without Darksoft messages) but I have the choice of version (Japan, Europe, USA, ASIA, cie)
How change bios (to JAPAN) ?

Just for my tests ...

Thanks !

First of all update your profile with your approx location.

Now to change the BIOS you just need to desolder the flash, reprogram it and solder it back. If you can't do it yourself, @Mitsurugi-w or myself can help on that.

@Aurich, I totally agree with preservation and just keeping the people playing the game. Myself and quite a few others in my area rely on this kind of stuff to keep the 3rd Strike scene alive and going.
I feel like the way to honor a game best is to make sure it's still played. Preservation on a shelf in a box is cool, but it doesn't do anything for me really.

I'm working out a deal to trade my battery 3S cart to someone who will enjoy it for a new Darksoft firmware version. There's no point in me leaving my original to eventually suicide, this way everyone wins. Someone gets to be a purist (in a good way, I respect it) and I'll upgrade my cabs with the new version to skip banging the region select every time and save the version I have already as a backup in case I acquire a second CPS3 board.

what's the best keep original custom SH2 or change for standard SH2 flashed new? no differrence with original hardware?

From my understanding there is no difference in game play. Only benefit is standard sh is the hack 4th strike

what's the best ? standard or custom? more stable and reliable for the future?

Both are equally stable. If there is a breakthrough in reviving original keys in the future then the custom will have an advantage but if you just want to play games with the SuperBIOS then either will work equally.

Always. The SuperBIOS uses the ability to manually write a file of your choosing to a simm of your choosing. This feature is not specific to either version.

So I received my Super Bios today and I can’t seem to get it to work. It will load up but get stuck at the country selection. Out of curiosity, I loaded my legit copy of Third strike and it’s doing the same thing. What am I doing wrong?

So I received my Super Bios today and I can’t seem to get it to work. It will load up but get stuck at the country selection. Out of curiosity, I loaded my legit copy of Third strike and it’s doing the same thing. What am I doing wrong?
5v to low? Could cause it freezing when trying to boot?

You're using the wrong cd. Make sure the CD you burn matches your bios type (custom or standard SH2)

I have an darksoft cart, not even sure if this is standard or custom bios version?
Which ISO version that I should download?
VdveHWm.png

I have an darksoft cart, not even sure if this is standard or custom bios version?
VdveHWm.png
this is clearly a custom version and you need custom CD. Does this cart boot with my bios? I'd be surprised if it does as it still has a battery.

VdveHWm.png
this is clearly a custom version and you need custom CD. Does this cart boot with my bios? I'd be surprised if it does as it still has a battery.
Sorry I uploade wrong picture for the front one. It should look like this

vFvDUUz.png

for Custom bios version, there is V4 and V5? what's the different and which one should I download?

Back