What's new
Woow congratulations, but I think that at no time try to show off what I have, I just try to say or explain why I like the NoCD version
NoCD is nice, as a second copy. Or in conjunction with a darksoft cart. I just feel like I need a way to reload the simms. It's unlikely to need it, but I want the option. I believe you can also use a hacked cd to load up a "nocd like" version of the software that boots with a cd cart? I need to double check that, but I swear I read it on this forum recently.

And yes, don't brag or show off... but do share your excitement about games and gear! When you said you had 4 full cps3 setups, I was like wow another person like me does exist. I actually do know another person locally who collects cps3 that hard as well, but it amuses me to meet others. Not sure why I need 4 copies of the same game... but my prepper mentality tells me this is how I can guarantee 3s for the rest of my lifetime.

He can show off his 4 full CPS3 setups if he wants too, you can bet your ass if I had 4 of 'em you'd be seeing pictures right now. :D

@Darksoft if you go ahead and create that system to switch between the games, count this as a +1... KEEN!

I checked the BIOS posted on the 1st thread. It works normally like any CD-enabled BIOS but when you exit the BIOS it will activate the NOCD bit, so for the GAME it will be seen as a NOCD cart. I'm not sure which games check it and for what, but that's all it does.

We gave up providing a NOCD bios for a very simple reason. You burn a flash into your cart, then you plug it in and.....now what? You can't change the game inside anymore! You would need 2 carts, one that is CD enabled so you can change games and once you choose the one you want, then you can insert the NOCD cart. I'm not sure what's the advantage of this. I'm telling most of this about the NOCD behaviour from the top of my head.
Like other guys said, a NOCD bios can be usefull for the people who got many CPS3 systems.
I got 6 CPS3 systems at home, so a NOCD version is very interesting for me.
One system for one game and don't need to rewrite another game again, no CD reader anymore, only one mobo and the one card for each games. I love this idea.

The idea of changing games with a switch sounds awesome too

I got 6 CPS3 systems at home
One system for one game
We're on the same page man. Well, same book, but you're a couple chapters ahead.

Yes, I like the idea of a switched CPS3 and hopefully no need for the CD Drive.

Hey guys I'm pretty new to all of this so apologies for my noob question:

I have the chance to get a NoCD CPS3 board but it has Jojo's on it. If I want to run 3S on this board, how would I do this?

I would need to make sure I have all the SIMM's that 3S requires, but how would I write 3S onto them? If I get the NoCD Superbios flashed onto a cart, would that be enough?

Hi!
You will need to load the SIMMS using a CD enabled CPS3, then those can be transferred to your board and the NoCD BIOS (or you can use the CD cart to write, then change to the NoCD cart)

You can however install the SuperBIOS which does work with the CD drive, and load 3S that way but that does mean you'll need a SCSI2SD or a disc drive.

Thanks mate! I still haven't decided if I'm going to pull the trigger on the CPS3 nocd board I found cos the price is a bit high, but I'm pretty much set that I want something setup for Third Strike by sometime next year.

CPS3 certainly isn't cheap unfortunately. But keep on the lookout and something reasonable will pop up.

Expect a full Third Strike setup to be somewhere between $700-1000AUD (depending on accessories and upgrades included like SuperBIOS, plexi case, SCSI2SD etc.)

YAJ (Yahoo Auctions Japan) is a good place to keep an eye out.

Anyone know what it means when you select to boot the game (3rd Strike in this case), the game name and version number screen pops up, but then nothing else loads? Just a black screen. I don't get the region select.

Not sure if it's an issue with the SD reader or maybe the BIOS? I've removed and reset the simms and everything seems clean. Everything was working a few days ago.

I tried rewriting the same game, but it just goes back to the initial now reading CD screen.

Means it's not reading the data from the SIMMS, will most likely be dirty SIMMS/cart not making a good connection

Clean the cart edge connector and slot, clean SIMM edges and slots

If none of this works one or more of the SIMMS may be bad. Check the test menu and see if they all read.

If all that checks out, motherboard is bad. I have one that does something similar sadly.

Means it's not reading the data from the SIMMS, will most likely be dirty SIMMS/cart not making a good connection

Clean the cart edge connector and slot, clean SIMM edges and slots

If none of this works one or more of the SIMMS may be bad. Check the test menu and see if they all read.

If all that checks out, motherboard is bad. I have one that does something similar sadly.
Wow, so pressing the test button before going to the Darksoft menu takes me directly to the region select screen and after making a selection 3S loads normally. I'm glad I can still run the game - it's just weird.

Any idea what could cause that?

Sometimes CPS3 is just strange man... One sec mine is booting fine, no problems.
I let it sit on the shelf for a little while (month or two) and when I power it back up scrambled junk on the screen.

Removing and reseating the cart always fixes this, but why? It's not like I'm bumping or even making contact with the cart in anyway.
Only thing I can think of is the cart pins make a weak contact at best, and loosen up just by virtue of sitting/overtime.

Carefully clean the cart and the cart connector on the board. I used some thick paper wrapped around a credit card lightly dipped in isopropyl.

I've never seen anything like that. But also, I havent played much with the test button.
the game name and version number screen pops up, but then nothing else loads? Just a black screen. I don't get the region select.
Something is really wrong with your setup. I'd say that a bad mobo is the most probable cause. If you see the game name and version, that means that it was able to execute some code from the SIMMS. Why it hanged later? Badd Simm or bad mobo IMO.
Not sure if it's an issue with the SD reader or maybe the BIOS?
Not SD Reader if the game was written properly. Bad simm or bad mobo IMO.

Guys quick question. If I power on my cps3 board with just the simm's installed and no cart or cd drive
(1) should I get anything on screen?
(2) should I still be able to get into the service menu by pressing the Service Menu button?

Back