What's new
Neither of those things. The main CPU is in the cart, without the cart you get nothing.

No, iam going to try it this weekend. But a few weeks back when i got my cps3 board i powered it on with any cart or cd drive and just got a black screen. When i press the service button it did nothing. Wasnt sure if i should still be able to get into the service menu without any cart or or cd. Gonna try the cart tonight. Do you happen to know if i should get anything on the screen with cart or cd drive connected to the cps3 board.

like xodarap said. With out cart you will get black or garbage on screen with out cart. And no function of the test button

So I recently got a suicided cart that I'm going to upgrade to SuperBios. However, since I run a 3S setup regularly, I thought I might as well make it a NoCD SuperBios cart dedicated to 3S. That means I can free up one SCSISD for other things.

Darksoft has released a NoCD Japan Bios for custom SH2 (thanks!), so that part is sorted. My question is can I flash the SIMMs with a standard SH2 SuperBios cart (which I have) or do I need another custom SH2 SuperBios cart to do it?

you should be able to write the custom iso with the standard sh cart but will freeze when you select a region. Once done the write process swapping over to the custom sh should be fine

Darksoft no cd bios is not a true no cd. You have to edit the file at the 2 spot I posted a few post back

Last edited:
Reactions: nem
Darksoft no cd bios is not a true no cd. You have to edit the file at the 2 spot I posted a few post back
I think I'll probably edit that BIOS and make it true, there is a BIG Warning, so people will know (I hope) that a NOCD can't be updated anymore :thumbsup:

So if the Darksoft NoCD bios is not true NoCD, what's the difference between it and the regular Superbios? @Darksoft?

Can I just edit the regular Bios with the following changes?

This can be done by hex editing 1FECB from AC to AA and 1FECC from BD to BC.
I don't really want to remove the chip multiple times, so hoping to get it going on the first try.

@nem that's basically it.

As they are right now, the byte about CD/NOCD is being read from a different location now and it's changed by the BIOS AFTER you exit the menu, so if the game has any difference they will be applied. AFAIK the only difference is in the text shown right at the beginning of the game as now it will say *if the game is prepared to do so* the text NOCD. If there is something else different I honestly don't know.

I could update the BIOSes so that they are NOCD. But they will need heavy modification as they are expecting a CD present at the beggining. If someone writes a cart with that NOCD BIOS,he wont be able to change game anymore from that cart, unless he uses a different one or replaces the BIOS, so I think that the best thing is to just take an original BIOS, decrypt it and change that CD/NOCD bit. Should I upload that for you guys?

Yup. I just edit those 2 value and flash the cart. I mod a few carts for the east coast FGC group to accompany their normal superbios setup and haven't heard a problem. They didn't care much about the text as they just play the game.

Reactions: nem
However the option of making simms with enough capacity for 6-8 games which can be changed via dip switches is very feasible. It could be done with some sort of PCB that hooks where the SIMMs go, so no soldering would be required. Installation would be a bit like CPS2 Multi but once it's installed it would be 0 seconds game changing.
Will this ever happen :)

However the option of making simms with enough capacity for 6-8 games which can be changed via dip switches is very feasible. It could be done with some sort of PCB that hooks where the SIMMs go, so no soldering would be required. Installation would be a bit like CPS2 Multi but once it's installed it would be 0 seconds game changing.
Best solution ever for CPS3 IMO.
You can count me in if you create it^^

Do you think this solution can be NOCD friendly?
All games in the same simms with dipswitchs (or a screen like for F3 multi) to choose the game and NOCD (so no need to use a CD reader) would be the perfect combo.
Only the motherboard, a card with the good bios and your simms will all the games on it but maybe I'm dreaming^^

Best solution ever for CPS3 IMO.
And who was the first to suggest it? :whistling:
@ekorz and I were actually talking about this via text not too long ago with regards to how (painfully) long it takes to re-write SIMMs/switch games.
I said a "true" CPS3 multi cart would include some type of SIMM replacement module, that would contain every single game pre-written separated via banks.
AKA why don't people in this hobby take me seriously?
I've suggested things years before they became realities... YEARS!

Wish I still had my old 2008 post from NG.com, when I said that even if it cost 400$ a MVS Everdrive would sell.
Basically the entire forum laughed at me, said I had no clue.
3a64fe37a188a54b30d1ab966f9c9116.jpg

/self_promotion

Last edited by a moderator:
The ISO image is universal. You just have to determine if you are using the custom sh (original, should have a letter A, B, C, or D) or the standard sh (replaced standard)

Back