What's new
I just noticed that SuperBIOS_for_custom_SH2_Japan_NOCD becomes the USA version when it starts up. It will not be the Japan version.
Looking at the difference binary, only 20733, but what should I do?

Probably the wrong file was uploaded. I'll have a look. In any case, that NOCD version just boots the game with the NOCD flag activated, only that. It will still need a CD drive to pass the BIOS check. I probably should do a new revision anytime soon.

I found out through Fightcade that the NoCD version has the nice fix where the character selection screen remembers your character and super choice when you return to it. I've only seen that before on the B version we don't run because it has the unblockables removed.

I'll verify which version it is next time I boot up Fightcade, but I was thinking of trying to switch to it on my cabs to get that feature if possible.

Fired up Fightcade to check. 990512, which Fightcade is identifying as the No CD version. Don't care one whit about the actual "no CD" part, got my SuperBIOS and SCSIS2SD working fine, but I'd love to run that version just for the character select screen buff.

Seems like a small thing, but when you're running sets it's really nice to be able to just bang the buttons to get back to playing, instead of having to navigate and select your super every time to stay on your character again.

3snocd.jpg

In any case, that NOCD version just boots the game with the NOCD flag activated, only that
Was thinking about messing with this, came back to read this thread and saw this. Darksoft can you verify if the NOCD version is actually the 990512 like I posted above? Or is it the same version as before with just a flag you added? No point in trying if it's not going to be the 990512 one.

Also it says this: NOCD and JAPAN BIOS VERSIONS FOR CUSTOM SH2 (USE CAREFULLY!)

What's the USE CAREFULLY! part in reference to? Is there something to watch out for?

I believe that was because you can't write another game/rewrite 3S to the SIMMS without a second setup with CD enabled.

I would be extremely surprised if the NoCD flag makes the character select in the game behave differently.

Also, not that it relates to the matter at hand, but the current NoCD version is an odd thing, because you can't actually run it without a CDROM drive. @XeD posted details on how to edit the file to make it work like the real cart here.

EDIT: @Darksoft, can Street Fighter III 3rd Strike: Fight for the Future (Japan 990512, NO CD) / sfiii3nr1.zip be made in to a disc image? Alternatively, I guess you could write the program roms one by one with SuperBIOS?

Last edited:
Hi, there is a new firmware from august 2019? what changed? thanks.

I believe that was because you can't write another game/rewrite 3S to the SIMMS without a second setup with CD enabled.
This was the idea, but we thought it would bring a lot of problems. Right now the only thing that it does is to turn on the bit that says to the game that it's running a NOCD version. If that has any effect on the games, I can't say. Making a BIOS that is TRUE NOCD is going to bring a lot of people a lot of problems. I can release that, but...I have an idea of what is going to happen.
I would be extremely surprised if the NoCD flag makes the character select in the game behave differently.
Most Probably you're right.

Also, not that it relates to the matter at hand, but the current NoCD version is an odd thing, because you can't actually run it without a CDROM drive. @XeD posted details on how to edit the file to make it work like the real cart here.
That's when it gets dangerous. People will have their cart converted or will buy from someone and when they want to change game......Surprise!

Well, I fail to see the danger. You just can't swap games with a NoCD SuperBIOS cart. Nothing else.

However, personally I would gain the advantage of not having to have a $75 SCSI2SD plugged into the motherboard and that I could then use for other things. For someone like me who runs just one game on one motherboard it's a boon.

Anyway, I would definitely like to see sfiii3nr1.zip playable on SuperBIOS. With or without a CDROM drive attached.

There is a stupid work around to write game on my no cd hack (if you can call it that). It's time consuming and not user friendly but I do a similar thing when I test my converted simm and writing just the 1 64mb simm for the makoto fix

For those who are interested. *I will edit this once I get home and get the actual file name* Merge the 2 64mb file (3.1 and 3.2) to 1 128mb file doing this to the remainder (4-6) Now hold player 1 start before powering on this will get you to the darksoft menu even on the no cd cart. Find the command to write to simm and manually wire a simm at a time. You can offset where to write the file but it erase the simm every time so the default don't work. You may have to reboot a few time as I think it hang/loop back to the directory after awhile.

What's the difference in sfiii3nr1? Isn't it just a region change? I like the nocd for location and just handing it out for tournament

I doubt it too. I don't know where that 'fix' comes from, just that the ROM set Fightcade is using has it

I really don't care about the NoCD thing, I'm happy to leave my SCSI2SD on my CPS3 board. But the character select fix is really nice. It seems like a small thing, but when you're running sets with people it's incredibly nice to not have to keep navigating back to your character every single time. Real quality of life fix.

I doubt it too. I don't know where that 'fix' comes from, just that the ROM set Fightcade is using has it
It works in Mame too, so I expect it's something in the NoCD program roms.

Super bios.If you start the game from the back menu, it works with NOCD. Warzard has also moved.However, 3rd freezes.

I just flashed a CPS3 set for my friend with the Makoto/Ken bug fix version. Which should be the same as the one I have just that one byte difference, since I haven't bothered to do it to mine yet.

In testing I found he has the character select fix. Huh. I should try on my board, but there is one other difference.

I have the custom SH2 on my SuperBIOS, the cart on his is standard. Any chance that makes any kind of difference? I'm running the new bios with the auto region select for Japan fwiw. But before I had that I had a custom cart with the old bios, never used a standard image.

Silly me, I know better, if you want to get people's attention you need to post a pic! :D

Here's the cabs I was upgrading for my friend. Been storing them for a year, and he's finally got the space to pick them up. Might sound like blasphemy but I'm ready to get the space back. I have enough cabs sitting unplayed these days ... :(

nnc-sf3.jpg

I just flashed a CPS3 set for my friend with the Makoto/Ken bug fix version. Which should be the same as the one I have just that one byte difference, since I haven't bothered to do it to mine yet.

In testing I found he has the character select fix. Huh. I should try on my board, but there is one other difference.

I have the custom SH2 on my SuperBIOS, the cart on his is standard. Any chance that makes any kind of difference? I'm running the new bios with the auto region select for Japan fwiw. But before I had that I had a custom cart with the old bios, never used a standard image.
I have a custom sh2 with auto USA region select and use the Ken Makoto glitch fix cd image. Upon rematch your character selector and super is retained from previous match. So yes, you can just keep mashing buttons to get back to playing

Back