What's new
There have already been hints at a new CPS3 solution, we're just waiting for the real dirt. :D (Edit: Which Darksoft just casually drops in the next post lol)

As for the noCD version, I don't see the point. I have two SuperBIOS carts, I could do the swap if I wanted. But the SCSCI2SD makes the CD part so painless and reliable why even want it? I see no advantage to not having a CD drive.

Frankly I just leave it on Third Strike for reasons listed above anyways. There's no reason to switch off the one game I truly care about when it takes so long to swap.

Last edited:
Thank you very much Darksoft, it works perfectly. I program it using my minipro (TL866). this answers the query of a person who asked before in your post
:thumbsup:

Attachments

• FB_IMG_1603864247546.jpg
    FB_IMG_1603864247546.jpg
    44.7 KB · Views: 132
  • FB_IMG_1603864240140.jpg
    FB_IMG_1603864240140.jpg
    242.8 KB · Views: 136
I was watching the lordMitsurugiW CPS3 NoCD Utility disc tutorial video (for battery cars).

@Mitsurugi-w

And I have a Red Earth No CD cartridge and I would like to install it but in the video description the download link has expired. Someone will have the compiled disc that appears in the description of the previous video to record the 32Mb memories. Thank you

Last edited:
Send me a PM and I'll give you a link.

I was watching the lordMitsurugiW CPS3 NoCD Utility disc tutorial video (for battery cars).

@Mitsurugi-w

And I have a Red Earth No CD cartridge and I would like to install it but in the video description the download link has expired. Someone will have the compiled disc that appears in the description of the previous video to record the 32Mb memories. Thank you
Send me a PM and I'll give you a link.
According to mame there is no warzard/red earth no cd cart? https://github.com/mamedev/mame/blob/master/src/mame/drivers/cps3.cpp

Not saying it doesn't exist, but just that I didn't know it existed? There's another guy on the forums who asked me to write his simms for him? I'm not sure why he needed this service but he was saying that the mitsu nocd utility disc wasn't doing it for him? Maybe @GoldenGlover can more accurately describe why it didn't work?

Yeah, the NoCD utility disc gives an “invalid CD ROM inserted” message when trying to load up Warzard. All other encrypted games seem to write from it; I was able to rewrite Third Strike on a spare setup I have & it worked with my battery Asia NoCD 3rd Strike cart). The only SIMM I could write for Warzard with the NoCD utility disc was WZD 50 (the 32 MB SIMM) in slot #7 when using the SuperBIOS.

For some reason I don’t think the NoCD utility disc can properly execute a Warzard encrypted rom rewrite. I have tried writing Warzard with it on two different CPS3 setups but can’t get it to run....the NoCD utility disc just gives an invalid CD message.

It's frustrating as heck because this Red Earth Asia cart I have isn’t known to exist according to MAME? See attached for pics of the cart & after my successful battery swap. I bought the cart separately & it’s never been with a full Warzard kit before, and I get a "not enough memory message" error whether my CPS3 board has the correct SIMMs installed or no SIMMS installed! (Edit: yes I cleaned the cart connector after receiving this; it makes no difference with this not enough memory error message that comes up. I think this is an actual NoCD cart that s meant to verify there's correct SIMM data on startup).

@KaPH33n: as a old-school collector, I really appreciate (once again!) you writing me Warzard with your JP cart & my SIMMS. I can report back here on how they will work with my cart once I receive them back from you.

Attachments

• IMG_7711.jpg
    IMG_7711.jpg
    87.1 KB · Views: 127
  • IMG_7709.jpg
    IMG_7709.jpg
    76.7 KB · Views: 124
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    549.1 KB · Views: 118
Last edited:
Dumping the BIOS is beyond my scope unfortunately. I’m waiting on SIMMS to get back to me from KaPH33n that I sent him to flash Warzard to them with a JP cart.

Once I get these SIMMS back this week & fire them up with this cart I’ll finally be able to confirm if this is a NoCD cart.

Well dumping it will kill the cart...

Also almost positive I had a working nocd Warzard cart at one time.

That's true. We can either offer to put there multiBios for free or a standard SH2 reprocart.

He is a collector so I dont think that will interest him.

I also sold @Scillianaire a 3s Asia cart which I think also needs the bios dumped... I bet he would be into trading it for a multibios or reprocart? I am not positive, I know he wanted 3s as a collector... but I also know he is worried about the suicide battery a little.

Just to close this loop: I got my SIMMS back (amazing quick, thanks again @KaPH33n) with Warzard written to them with a JP cart & fired them up with my battery Red Earth cart. The cart I have is *definitely* an Asia NoCD version.

@Darksoft I appreciate the offer to dump it but I really would prefer to keep this cart alive & battery-powered as-is. DE667316-73ED-4E15-A332-7EB7010F7BEC.jpeg

If the battery does die in future it is still possible to dump the cart.

I can understand not wanting to kill it when there is no current method too resurrect these with the original BIOS intact.

Cool to see undumped stuff like this is still out there.

This probably confirms MAME needs a new entry for this version. :D

I have asked the mame team to add the cart's existence to the documentation at least. I think that means that every CPS3 game did have a nocd release version.

I remember probably close to 10 years ago I had to load a game for @Thchardcore when he had a NoCD cart. This was way back before the current tools were available, that's how I knew writing the warzard simms for @GoldenGlover would work.

Back