What's new

brizzo

Staff member
Champion
Reaction score
Hello everyone!

My name is brizzo, and I am arcade addict. 8o

Always been into gaming and computers since the early 90s, but didn't start collecting arcade games as an adult until 2009. My current collection of cabs includes Donkey Kong, Mario Bros, R-Type, Asteroids, Chase HQ, Stargate, and two 25" JAMMA cabs with a ridiculous amount of pcbs to pick from.

Arcade games, the technology, and all the neat gadgets people build for them got me interested in learning more about electrical engineering the past few years. Since a child I was into computer programming, as a teenager into game hacking and writing trainers, bots, and things of the sort. Combining these skills with my arcade hobby has been very enjoyable!

Going to have to make a few threads in the Project Showcase for you guys :D

I've got a few R-Type boards (1/2/Leo) myself, its prob my most favorite shooter of all time.
I also happen to LOVE Bubble Bobble, I've got the ROMStar PCB version of the game as well as the F3 (part 2/3) releases.

I'm seriously interested in conversions these days... Lacking the funds and timing (late to the party myself as 2008 first PCB purchase) to own originals.
In fact my R-Type Leo is a conversion of Major title 2 (first two are both big $$$ and real).

A dream of mine has always been a Midway multi cart, however with all the different sound boards on early Y/T Unit releases this is sadly impossible.
The Wolf boards as I've come to understand it are more or less the same, only requiring a unique security PIC... Removing this protecting is key to a future multi device!

Welcome ! curious to check out your threads ;)

also own Rtype 2 ... would love to get #1 !

Thanks for the warm welcome guys!

@jassin000 I have a sick obsession with Bubble Bobble bootleg pcbs for some reason.... But I'm also working on building a dedicated cab using a Taito classic cab in green :D

Thanks for the warm welcome guys!

@jassin000 I have a sick obsession with Bubble Bobble bootleg pcbs for some reason.... But I'm also working on building a dedicated cab using a Taito classic cab in green :D
Welcome! where from Canada are you from? I'm originally from Vancouver, but live in SF now.

Bubble Bobble bootlegs? Nice, have you looked into The Lost Cave rom hack update? https://lostcave.wordpress.com/
It adds 100 new levels to the original and bootleg boards. But not exactly new levels, they are levels from the console and handheld versions of the game.

Welcome! where from Canada are you from? I'm originally from Vancouver, but live in SF now.
Bubble Bobble bootlegs? Nice, have you looked into The Lost Cave rom hack update? https://lostcave.wordpress.com/
It adds 100 new levels to the original and bootleg boards. But not exactly new levels, they are levels from the console and handheld versions of the game.
I'm from the Interior in the Okanagan :)

It is very ironic you mention The Lost Cave, just a few minutes ago I posted on a Facebook group about it for others to check out :) but yes I am very familiar, I modded one of my pcbs to switch between original code and lost cave code (idea stolen from ElgensRepairs)

Recently a Bubble Bobble prototype was discovered in Europe for sale, running on Tokio hardware. Most of the game pcb has been enveloped in epoxy, it has been sent to me for extraction! Should be here this week. I am very, very excited! 8o 8o

a Bubble Bobble prototype was discovered in Europe for sale, running on Tokio hardware. Most of the game pcb has been enveloped in epoxy, it has been sent to me for extraction! Should be here this week. I am very, very excited!
Sick!!!
Yes please keep us updated with any findings/discoveries about this proto.

Many functions of the original MCU went unimplemented in the final ROMs code.
This was not discovered until about 10 years ago when decapping the custom seeking the correct triggers for in game events.

We can hope some of these original MCU event triggers are still active/complete in the proto version.

The Wolf boards as I've come to understand it are more or less the same, only requiring a unique security PIC... Removing this protecting is key to a future multi device!
They cracked "AnyU64" a long time ago.

Back