What's new

brizzo

Staff member
Champion
Reaction score
Hey guys,

Reading through the threads on here you guys seem into custom controls. Thought you might find this older project of mine interesting

At one point in time a friend asked me if I could make a PCB from a schematic he had. Sure, why not?! What he sent me was the schematic by Nightmare Tony (who worked for SNK) to use a spinner to interface with joystick left/right. (Attached schematic)

I got so excited! I'm a big fan of Puzzle Bobble, what better way to play it?! There are a few games that benefit from playing this way.... but PUZZLE BOBBLE WITH SPINNERS!!! :thumbsup:

Another friend suggested making it a jamma pass through connector, genius! Here is the resulting pcb design, with improvements for 2-player. Joysticks work properly with this installed too

jamma_spinner_adapter.jpg

It wasn't my plan to come on here and start selling, but I checked with Darksoft how I should handle it if anyone wanted to buy these. He told me to post here with a price :thumbup:

$48 USD each plus shipping costs (Shipping cost with tracking approx $12 for USA, $18-22 for International)

If you got any questions about pcb design, soldering, equipment I use, let me know :D

Attachments

• Neo Geo Steering Wheel Schematic-1.pdf
    46.8 KB · Views: 1,102
That's some pretty slick work. Now I just need to get a custom Astro panel with a spinner :)

Will it still work as a pass through for multi slot Neo motherboards too? I have to admit I'm not up to snuff on the differences in their harnesses off the top of my head.

That's really cool.

So will this work with any JAMMA board?

what, does it just change the spin velocity into pulse on the joystick directions?

That's really cool.

So will this work with any JAMMA board?

what, does it just change the spin velocity into pulse on the joystick directions?
As far as I've tested, yes it will work with any JAMMA board with right/left direction in default positions. Hasn't been widely tested, but friends who have them report nothing but good things :thumbsup:

Yes, it translates the quadrature pulses into joystick pulses at a different rate.

Neat stuff!

I always wondered why the heck Puzzle Bobble didn't use a spinner. It's the perfect game for it. It's not like Taito hadn't done spinner games before, since there's both Arkanoid and Cameltry.

Neat stuff!

I always wondered why the heck Puzzle Bobble didn't use a spinner. It's the perfect game for it. It's not like Taito hadn't done spinner games before, since there's both Arkanoid and Cameltry.
Indeed, the F3 and g-net platforms even has spinner controls available for a couple of games so they could have very easily made it available for Puzzle Bobble 2 through Super Puzzle Bobble.

I'd be interested to try Space Invaders and other 2-way shmups with a spinner as well.

Thanks for the positive feedback :D

Other neogeo games it's perfect for:
Riding Hero
Thrash Rally
Pop N bounce

Another favorite pcb that it works well with is Thunder & Lightning / SETA, which is super fun.

I can see why spinners would be cut from game budgets, devs forced to stick to joystick/buttons.

Will have to look in storage, believe I have some pcbs and parts, maybe even a couple extras already assembled.

I'd like to buy one but I don't own any spinners.

ideally I'd like to get a couple of Taito spinners to build a proper panel for my E29. I would have thought they'd be pretty common given how many Arkanoid conversions happened back in the day but it seems the market doesn't have much out there.

put me down for 1... I can hunt for some spinners later :)

Nice!
I will take you one if you have some to sell.
Could the user change spinner sensitivity?

I would love one of these. Sign me up for one as well.

I do have a question....have you only tried these with Taito spinners....how would an Atari Tempest spinner work? I have access to a few that just need to be rebuilt...so I would love to try and use those.

Now all I need is a Gunbarich PCB, and I will be all set!!

Could the user change spinner sensitivity?
No, you cannot. I honestly don't think you would want to once you try playing with it :)

I do have a question....have you only tried these with Taito spinners....how would an Atari Tempest spinner work? I have access to a few that just need to be rebuilt...so I would love to try and use those.
They've been tried with a few different kinds. In one case there was a spinner (unknown brand), and it didn't use pull DOWN resistors on the L/R signal (where as taito, and other spinners do). Friend added two 10k resistors, worked like a charm. I'm sure they will work with any quadrature (black disc with holes) type spinner.

Making an interest list, have located box of spare parts and other goodies. Will get organized and post up more shortly

Last edited:
Brizzo!! You're the man. Looking forward to hopefully getting one...I have some serious plans for this.

FrancoB...I know right?!? I feel there are so many games that could benefit from this. I am gonna start in on a list, cause with all the multi's I have, and the oddball games..I feel this has some serious potential.

*Diabolical mode initiated* Time to hit the lab....

That is a great question! I wasn't aware there are two types of TAITO / Arkanoid spinners. It is difficult to judge the history of this hardware, when a game like Arkanoid was so widely bootlegged and assuming the spinners were as well. ?(

I honestly do not think 'sensitivity' is something you consider once you try the controls in person. It is difficult to describe the behavior in a way that is the same as just using it. The circuit works that for each direction pulse detected, a longer duration pulse is output to joystick signal. The post on KLOV gives some support to what I am saying. The OP only knew there was a difference in spinners as he was experienced playing the game one way. The game could easily be played with either spinner, as you adjust to how the controls work for the game.

In my experiences I have only encountered the 4-gear version. From my notes it uses a 24 slot encoder wheel, and the gear ratio is 1:20 (knob : encoder wheel). If I was provided more information about other spinners with encoder wheel slot count and knob/encoder gear ratio I can calculate the behavioral difference -- but I think it would be negligible difference for this application :D

But keep the questions coming if you have them :thumbsup:

I have (4) adapters tested and ready to go. Got parts on hand to build (8) more adapters.

Also found Molex 4 pin female housing and crimp pins (you can solder if you dont have crimpers). Can include 2 connectors and 8 pins for an extra $2 if you want to make your own harness (I do not have wire to make them for you)

jamma spinner parts.jpg

Incoming PMs after lunch for twistedsymphony, Derick2k, Gakman, bagheera369, FrancoB

Back