What's new
If all else fails you can MacGyver one together from an old ball mouse, some pennies and a peanut butter jar lid.

EDIT:

There's no simple way to electrically change the PPM of an opto circuit like this, that's why Taito and others resorted to different gearing and different reluctor wheels when they needed a different output speed.

But, I just got my board and and had a look at the design Looking at the chips being used, the LS123 (IC3), which is really the business end of this device, has an option for a trimmer as can be seen on page 6 here:
http://www.ti.com/lit/an/sdla006a/sdla006a.pdf
that'd likely be the best way to add in any adjustability. alternatively you could swap out for different resistor values that are more amicable to whatever PPM spinner you're using.

Last edited:
You think there be any way of adjusting the sensitivity/resolution on the Spintrak before it gets to your board?
I had been pondering it would be possible to create a pulse count divider at 2:1 or 3:1 using a CPLD perhaps? But it can be tough to convince me to build something I don't need :P

EDIT:

There's no simple way to electrically change the PPM of an opto circuit like this, that's why Taito and others resorted to different gearing and different reluctor wheels when they needed a different output speed.

But, I just got my board and and had a look at the design Looking at the chips being used, the LS123 (IC3), which is really the business end of this device, has an option for a trimmer as can be seen on page 6 here:
http://www.ti.com/lit/an/sdla006a/sdla006a.pdf
that'd likely be the best way to add in any adjustability. alternatively you could swap out for different resistor values that are more amicable to whatever PPM spinner you're using.
My first post has the schematic if you want to study it in more detail. From putting this circuit into simulator, I do not see changing the adapter circuit as the solution to high pulse rate spinners.

I had been pondering it would be possible to create a pulse count divider at 2:1 or 3:1 using a CPLD perhaps?
For normal PWM that would work but I would think when applied to something like this it would confuse the pulse order that determines direction wouldn't it? unless it was applied to the output after conversion.

My first post has the schematic if you want to study it in more detail. From putting this circuit into simulator, I do not see changing the adapter circuit as the solution to high pulse rate spinners.
I forgot you had included that :) Since you have the simulator setup what would happen if you dropped that 12K resistor down to 4.2K?

if my understanding of the calculations are correct that should reduce the output pulse duration by a factor of 2.5

BTW I just have to say I love the use of the Flip-Flop and AND gates in this circuit to determine direction... with the heavy use of micro-controllers and FGPAs these days it's wonderful to see a simple and appropriately used logic setup :)

Last edited:
can we get a neogeo socket to spinner with this circuit into a hoodie?

Ok, so who is gonna make high quality repro spinners that work with these adapters? :D

I had the pleasure of playing on legit taito / forgotten worlds on beautiful capcom spinners, plus ikari warriors 2 on original joysticks this weekend.

All I can say is AMAZING, man those capcom forgotten worlds spinners are divine, so wishing I had those.

Ok, so who is gonna make high quality repro spinners that work with these adapters? :D

I had the pleasure of playing on legit taito / forgotten worlds on beautiful capcom spinners, plus ikari warriors 2 on original joysticks this weekend.

All I can say is AMAZING, man those capcom forgotten worlds spinners are divine, so wishing I had those.
Bill was telling me about your visit and discoveries! He has a bit more testing to do then I will post up some details here :)

Do you mean one of these spinners: :P

capcom_spinner_2_lores.jpg

I was reminded earlier today about the CPS2 Spinner board for Puzz Loop 2:
puzzloopfront.jpg

I'm curious if anyone knows if this functions similarly to Brizzo's board here.

Attachments

• puzzloopback.jpg
    puzzloopback.jpg
    118.7 KB · Views: 680
I have one here. I need to source a spinner and I'm waiting for my spinner adapter from Brizzo still. Hopefully I can play around with both at some point.

yeah I've got spinners and the adapter but I'm waiting on some connectors to build the spinner harnesses.

your forgotten world panels look great!
I so wish they were mine, Im looking to get one made for a sega blast city for a friend. But, I would love to have one of these made for a vewlix cab also.

Does anyone make custom vewlix control panels? I wish I could get a 2P hyper bishi bashi panel made for my vewlix

Back